Oliver

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Nesbit "Lite" or Nesbit 2.0 He runs with authority and that wears down the defense; I think going forward we need a larger stronger QB like him and Graham

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I thought our blocking scheme was a brilliant move. As I saw it early we were double teaming the really good DL player #8 and running away from him toward the younger players. Later after we wore them down some we could run almost anywhere due to very powerful OLine blocking along with some AB and BB help. The WR blocking is often off the screen and I may have overlooked their contribution.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I saw one really new wrinkle in our goal line attack. On one score by Mason off right tackle we had our walk-on 236 lb BB line up at left AB. He went in motion and led the blocking in the hole where we scored. This was a good use of our personnel by CPJ.
VT fans are still crying about chop blocks and whining about the cut back lanes TO had last night:hilarious:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts on the QB position after reading this thread:

1. Oliver is a slasher who hits the hole downhill with great authority and quickness. As such he provides the offense a different dimension and feel than when Taquon is in. Therefore IMO he should at the very least play several series each game as a change of pace guy unless the other team is shutting down his repetoire.

2. For the present as a Tr-Fr, Oliver doesn't look great throwing the ball at all. My belief is that the kid is a hard worker, high-character guy, and that just like Tevin and he will eventually complete over 50% as Tevin did his senior year. I think you will see the same decisiveness and vision he shows running the ball show up in the passing game. Arm is Tevin-like but maybe slightly stronger.

3. Given his current liabilities in the passing game and the fact that some teams will load the box and shut us down I do not see him playing to the exclusion of Marshall. Ultimately we have to be to throw well enough to keep defenses honest to reach our offensive ceiling. Ain't gonna happen this year with Oliver unless he makes miraculous strides. I really like the idea of starting Marshall and letting defenses see him for a couple of series then bring in Oliver. Then play Oliver until the D can shut him down. If they do bring Marshall back. Could be very beneficial.

4. I don't see a QB controversy. I see two guys who compliment each other well and each bring things to the table that can win games in different situations. Play 'em both!!!

5. People who say PJ just plays one QB unless the starter is injured forget that CPJ gave Vad series when Tevin was QB, and gave Justin Thomas series while Vad was QB. If one was hot he pretty much rode them a la Vad vs UNC. If the #2 guy can play he will get series. I expect both Oliver and Marshall to both play going forward, with Johnson riding the hot hand. Not sure it matters who starts, though I like Oliver as a reliever/change of pace.

6. To those who say we definitely would have won the game with TO at QB vs USF, how the heck do you KNOW that? YES, for a couple of drives we were unstoppable. For its first three drives last night VT was also unstoppable. Defenses make adjustments all the time and shut down things that have been working for the other team. To me it seemed a lot like USF had begun to expect and stop what we were doing with Oliver. I COULD BE WRONG. And just because because Oliver ran all over VT all game doesn't mean he would have done the same thing to USF for the rest of the game.

7. Oliver is tall but not big. 182 lbs is not big. He must be really wiry strong to flash the power he flashes, and clearly he runs with a lot of fire. He hits the hole as fast or faster than any QB we've had, including Nesbitt.

8. Given all the above, I will be very disappointed if Oliver does not get series. I will also be disappointed if Taquon doesn't play because I think he can be an effective passer when protection is adequate, and I think we will need to be able to pass some if we are going to go on a run and finish strong.

RiseUpATL

Banned
I'm impressed by TO's play, but he's much more Tevin than Josh. Slick runner and doesn't take hard hits. I would say he's a bit faster than Tevin. Tobias wasn't trucking people like Josh.

And Josh had a cannon for an arm....almost too good?

I can’t agree with you on the not taking hits comment. I saw several runs last night where Oliver could have just ran out of bounds but instead he stuck his shoulder into a defender and grinded upfield. I don’t think he avoids contact at all.

RiseUpATL

Banned

1. Oliver is a slasher who hits the hole downhill with great authority and quickness. As such he provides the offense a different dimension and feel than when Taquon is in. Therefore IMO he should at the very least play several series each game as a change of pace guy unless the other team is shutting down his repetoire.

2. For the present as a Tr-Fr, Oliver doesn't look great throwing the ball at all. My belief is that the kid is a hard worker, high-character guy, and that just like Tevin and he will eventually complete over 50% as Tevin did his senior year. I think you will see the same decisiveness and vision he shows running the ball show up in the passing game. Arm is Tevin-like but maybe slightly stronger.

3. Given his current liabilities in the passing game and the fact that some teams will load the box and shut us down I do not see him playing to the exclusion of Marshall. Ultimately we have to be to throw well enough to keep defenses honest to reach our offensive ceiling. Ain't gonna happen this year with Oliver unless he makes miraculous strides. I really like the idea of starting Marshall and letting defenses see him for a couple of series then bring in Oliver. Then play Oliver until the D can shut him down. If they do bring Marshall back. Could be very beneficial.

4. I don't see a QB controversy. I see two guys who compliment each other well and each bring things to the table that can win games in different situations. Play 'em both!!!

5. People who say PJ just plays one QB unless the starter is injured forget that CPJ gave Vad series when Tevin was QB, and gave Justin Thomas series while Vad was QB. If one was hot he pretty much rode them a la Vad vs UNC. If the #2 guy can play he will get series. I expect both Oliver and Marshall to both play going forward, with Johnson riding the hot hand. Not sure it matters who starts, though I like Oliver as a reliever/change of pace.

6. To those who say we definitely would have won the game with TO at QB vs USF, how the heck do you KNOW that? YES, for a couple of drives we were unstoppable. For its first three drives last night VT was also unstoppable. Defenses make adjustments all the time and shut down things that have been working for the other team. To me it seemed a lot like USF had begun to expect and stop what we were doing with Oliver. I COULD BE WRONG. And just because because Oliver ran all over VT all game doesn't mean he would have done the same thing to USF for the rest of the game.

7. Oliver is tall but not big. 182 lbs is not big. He must be really wiry strong to flash the power he flashes, and clearly he runs with a lot of fire. He hits the hole as fast or faster than any QB we've had, including Nesbitt.

8. Given all the above, I will be very disappointed if Oliver does not get series. I will also be disappointed if Taquon doesn't play because I think he can be an effective passer when protection is adequate, and I think we will need to be able to pass some if we are going to go on a run and finish strong.

There is a whole host of stats that say TM is not an effective passer. I don’t know why some fans think he can pass the ball effectively. He can’t. His hands are too small and he heaved the ball in the air like a punt. He looks exactly like any RB does throwing the ball on a trick play. Marshall needs to be at Aback where we can get him on the edge and take advantage of his athleticism in space. He just isn’t big enough or creative enough in between the tackles in traffic.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I also don't think a Nesbitt/Oliver comparison makes is correct. Next year, if Tobias can put on another 10 pounds - he did it since last year - then we might be in the ballpark. And, of course, he needs to learn to throw …

And beat our Lucas and Graham next spring too. Hope he's ready to do some extra work.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
There is a whole host of stats that say TM is not an effective passer. I don’t know why some fans think he can pass the ball effectively. He can’t. His hands are too small and he heaved the ball in the air like a punt. He looks exactly like any RB does throwing the ball on a trick play. Marshall needs to be at Aback where we can get him on the edge and take advantage of his athleticism in space. He just isn’t big enough or creative enough in between the tackles in traffic.

I agree his past statistics show he has not been a very effective passer.

My point is that the offense's ceiling is going to be way higher if we can have at least a semi-effective passing game, and Marshall is the more likely candidate to develop such a game if it is to happen THIS YEAR. He seems to be a creature of confidence, and when he has time to set his feet he's shown he's capable of delivering a decent ball. AND he needs to be more consistent than he has been.

Players do develop though, and they do not always repeat their past statistics. If the running game can continue to be more consistent behind a healthier OL, and if we can improve our protection, it's not unreasonable to think Taquon could develop and thrive hitting the kind of big play-action passes that keep defenses loose enough to run on.

I don't see Oliver THIS YEAR as having a chance to get to that point. I do think Oliver is way better on the QB draw which is a plus in the passing game. But teams are going to wise up. I also agree with your points that Oliver is way better between the tackles and in getting the tough yards that move the sticks. He hits the hole fast going North-South.

Now, it could be that Oliver himself is needed to make the running game consistent enough to open up play-action. And perhaps he could develop enough this year as a passer to make those plays. I won't be disappointed if he starts and is given that chance. I just think it's highly likely both guys are going to play going forward, and that it's a good situation to have.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t agree with you on the not taking hits comment. I saw several runs last night where Oliver could have just ran out of bounds but instead he stuck his shoulder into a defender and grinded upfield. I don’t think he avoids contact at all.

If you look at the way TO takes hits vs the way TM takes hits, it's a huge difference. The angles and wear the momentum is coming from saves a lot of wear and tear. The worst hit he took probably came from our own offensive lineman trying to push him forward.

Tevin had a way of finding the hole, and getting through it. I'll say that TO is a lot farther along in his abilities of making the offense click than Tevin in his SO year. It probably also helps to have a supporting cast that can execute the offense better on most days.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

Agree with all. Good post.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

I would have no problem with this plan, other than we haven't seen anyone stop TO consistently on multiple series. When that happens I think you could change things up, but I don't know why you won't continue doing what has worked every time Oliver has played.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He is a strider like VL, but he is more explosive, it seems to me. If he could get his reads to a TW level, he might be the perfect option QB. We would literally never have to throw (and some peoples' heads would explode).

The only way we'll ever reach the level of never needing to throw is when we have an OL that can just dominate every game. I doubt that will ever happen.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only way we'll ever reach the level of never needing to throw is when we have an OL that can just dominate every game. I doubt that will ever happen.

I'm with you there. We need to practice passing in real games. The scout team can't give us anywhere near the caliber of pass rush and coverage that we see from top 50 teams.

That said, I think we should be able to beat UNC, UM and UVa with little passing (up to 10 attempts a game). We will have to have a real pass threat to beat UGAg. But we can't count on having the luxury of a large lead against any of those ACC teams.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
He played well, but he’s going to end up on a pitch count. 40 carries is not sustainable. And at some point, he won’t be able to do the Allen Iverson thing and do it by himself. He’s got to pitch the ball some. It worked yesterday, and I think it might work against Carolina next week, but it won’t work against the Canes.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
A huge knock a lot of the fans (maybe some in here that want TO to start) had on TaQuan was with his bad choices on keeps instead of pitching. We haven't really seen if TO has the pitch down or how well he can do it at game speed. I do think he should get reps for UNC but they now have game tape on him which VT didn't really have much of. Everything is a chess match at this level.