Oliver

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Our coach has a history of putting his best athletes on the field and giving his best athletes a chance at QB. Plenty of teams recruit QBs that wind up playing other positions. We just happen to give them an actual shot at QB first.

Okay? The whole line of thinking was based on the idea of Marshal playing AB so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also, plenty of teams move guys from QB to other positions. The other direction is very rare and for good reason.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Okay? The whole line of thinking was based on the idea of Marshal playing AB so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also, plenty of teams move guys from QB to other positions. The other direction is very rare and for good reason.
I always forget that posters on the board are at practice and can draw better conclusions than our coach about what players are best at what position. My bad.

Or maybe. Marshall was a freshman behind multiple upper classman at qb and could make an impact at ab. Once those qbs left, he fought for and won a position battle at qb. Would he have won the position if Jaylend Ratliffe hadn’t had an atv accident? I doubt it. But I’m not surprised tqm has been the starter the past two years given what I have seen from the other Qbs.

But again, I’m sure you know more than coach

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
TO is a much better athlete than Tevin. Faster and with better balance along with more strength, even if he isn't Nesbitt strong. I'd say as a runner he is more akin to Lee than any other starter we've had. At least before Lee lost confidence in his blockers.

Lee??? Lee never trucked anyone the way TO does. Not even close. People like to compare current players to former ones way too much. Each is their own individual. But it’s fun to do so...we do.

If Oliver can improve his passing mechanics...and become efficient in that phase, he could become a Tech legend.

A big if imo but certainly possible for a young athletic QB with his frame.

One thing more than any other separates good Os from great Os. That’s an elite QB. Urban Meyer has won natties with elite QBs. He can’t without one....hasn’t yet anyway. He doesn’t get smarter and dumber year to year to year. He just gets different QB play.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Lee??? Lee never trucked anyone the way TO does. Not even close. People like to compare current players to former ones way too much. Each is their own individual. But it’s fun to do so...we do.

If Oliver can improve his passing mechanics...and become efficient in that phase, he could become a Tech legend.

A big if imo but certainly possible for a young athletic QB with his frame.

One thing more than any other separates good Os from great Os. That’s an elite QB. Urban Meyer has won natties with elite QBs. He can’t without one....hasn’t yet anyway. He doesn’t get smarter and dumber year to year to year. He just gets different QB play.
TO is like a bowling ball knocking pins down:cool:

Animal02

Banned
I always forget that posters on the board are at practice and can draw better conclusions than our coach about what players are best at what position. My bad.

Or maybe. Marshall was a freshman behind multiple upper classman at qb and could make an impact at ab. Once those qbs left, he fought for and won a position battle at qb. Would he have won the position if Jaylend Ratliffe hadn’t had an atv accident? I doubt it. But I’m not surprised tqm has been the starter the past two years given what I have seen from the other Qbs.

But again, I’m sure you know more than coach
This times 100.
It is comical seeing all these posters deeming TO the new starter based on one game and his ability to run a half dozen plays.....during which, for some unknown reason, VT failed to make any adjustments. They also seem to believe that TO "won" the position, ignoring the fact that Marshall was hurt and did not practice. Based on this limited data set, they have also declared we would be bowl eligible had CPJ not been so "stubborn" and played TO in place of Marshall. :rolleyes:
This is not a knock on TO, his fresh legs, and surprise start ( to VT) caught them flat footed. Anyone that thinks the remaining teams on the schedule will allow him to run free light that is just a fool.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This times 100.
It is comical seeing all these posters deeming TO the new starter based on one game and his ability to run a half dozen plays.....during which, for some unknown reason, VT failed to make any adjustments. They also seem to believe that TO "won" the position, ignoring the fact that Marshall was hurt and did not practice. Based on this limited data set, they have also declared we would be bowl eligible had CPJ not been so "stubborn" and played TO in place of Marshall. :rolleyes:
This is not a knock on TO, his fresh legs, and surprise start ( to VT) caught them flat footed. Anyone that thinks the remaining teams on the schedule will allow him to run free light that is just a fool.
Did foster really fail to make adjustments or did his adjustments just fail?

LibertyTurns

Banned
This times 100.
I have no idea if we have enough time to practice for a platoon situation but the thought of Nuke’s 2 QB rotation, or dare I say it a 3 QB rotation, is certainly appealing. You play the hot hand. We move OL around a lot due to injuries, etc so it has to be possible it could work. Whether or not it’s probable, you don’t know until you try it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Going to be a few good debates this offseason about Oliver for Lucas Johnson. Best running ability vs best passing ability. Oliver 6'2'' and Lucas is 6'3''... Very good future with these guys.

Lucas can run the ball. Every scrimmage we've had that's been open to public, LJ has ripped a 50+ yard run. When CPJ puts LJ in, he doesn't run that many of our option plays. CPJ tends to use LJ more as a passer, so it'll be interesting to see CPJ unleash LJ the runner. He's also our biggest QB I believe, so our midline and QB follow plays are still in play.

The thing about TO is he just has that special ability to break free and turn out positive yardage. That counts for something.

The QB1 run race will be fun to follow...if CPJ is still here.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Lucas can run the ball. Every scrimmage we've had that's been open to public, LJ has ripped a 50+ yard run. When CPJ puts LJ in, he doesn't run that many of our option plays. CPJ tends to use LJ more as a passer, so it'll be interesting to see CPJ unleash LJ the runner. He's also our biggest QB I believe, so our midline and QB follow plays are still in play.

The thing about TO is he just has that special ability to break free and turn out positive yardage. That counts for something.

The QB1 run race will be fun to follow...if CPJ is still here.

If anybody thinks LJ can't run they need to revisit the Spring game video. He's a long strider that just eats up ground!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind, first highlight the rules were QB is "tackled" on touch. LJ is #7 here.

LJ is 18 here:

Man, Jay Jones had so much potential to be a game breaker at QB. Lucas looks a lot like Oliver but looks a little faster. Don’t know if he is as tough.

As far as Oliver, he reminds me a lot of Synjin. Doesn’t distribute the ball as a QB, but will get you yardage just tucking it. Could play AB/BB/WR if QB doesn’t work out. I’m not it in the camp that you can “teach” a guy to throw. The best you can do is refine his technique, but there is definitely some innate skill for arm strength and accuracy, that can’t be coached, at least not at the college level.

For this year, I would say Oliver has at least earned some snaps in the red zone offense, and maybe a platoon situation. He brings some power that Marshall doesn’t, but can’t run the whole offense yet.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought if these boys can't pass by the age of 18-19 years old, then you can't just learn it. That's something you grow up doing and becomes second nature.
Depending on who comes out as the starter next year may create another transfer situation. I hope not but with 5 young QB's on the team it may create one of them leaving. I hope not but it is reality now in college FB. VT coach gave praise to all 3 we now have. Said there isn't any real difference. He mentitled Graham as being as good as any of them. He wanted him at VT.

RiseUpATL

Banned
This times 100.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there is plenty of sample size in TQM to know he just isn’t a QB at this level. He might understand when to keep, give and pitch but he is woefully undersized, runs east/West and can’t throw a lick.

TO is bigger, stronger and gets north/south. Passing ability is probably a negative. But at least he can get the tough yards and break tackles for crucial yardage.

Just MO though. Oh and you get him meaningful snaps for next year. Put TQM at AB so you don’t bench him for his senior year. PJ can win some folks back if he does this properly. At the end of the day he is the captains and he goes down with the ship.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, whoever was saying the cut block on that play was 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage is proven incorrect by that replay video.
That was me. I was wrong. What got me real-time was seeing Howard on the ground 6 yards down field. Turns out Howard hit his block at 4 yds and drove right thru the defender. Great block.

Animal02

Banned
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there is plenty of sample size in TQM to know he just isn’t a QB at this level. He might understand when to keep, give and pitch but he is woefully undersized, runs east/West and can’t throw a lick.

TO is bigger, stronger and gets north/south. Passing ability is probably a negative. But at least he can get the tough yards and break tackles for crucial yardage.

Just MO though. Oh and you get him meaningful snaps for next year. Put TQM at AB so you don’t bench him for his senior year. PJ can win some folks back if he does this properly. At the end of the day he is the captains and he goes down with the ship.
Once again.....someone that sees players once week on the TV knows SO MUCH MORE than the coaches that see the players every day. :rolleyes: