Oliver

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I've always thought if these boys can't pass by the age of 18-19 years old, then you can't just learn it. That's something you grow up doing and becomes second nature.

QBs work on their mechanics all the time at every level. So improvements get made. I agree that raw natural ability is the biggest factor in success however.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Can't these guys go to those QB specialty camps in the summer to work on passing skills.

Let's get something out there: Maybe our QBs aren't good passers because our coaches are not good at coaching the passing game. I'm not talking about just throwing and catching the ball, but pass blocking (always an issue), coaching our QBs to read defenses, coaching our WRs how to get open/nuances of route running, coaching the QBs how to manipulate the defenses (how many times do our QBs look off the safety and throw the other way?), etc.

The passing game is more than just pitching and catching. There's a lot of subleties that go into the passing game that, quite frankly, you can tell GT does not coach when you look at teams that pass more. Even our QB drops are funky. We're a running team, therefore our coaches will emphasize what we do best. That's their choice. Our passing schemes from the RnS are also practice intensive. Something has to give...and it seems it's our passing.

Doesn't matter if our QB goes to elite passing camps (like Vad did) if the other 10 guys don't get the same level of coaching in the passing game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's get something out there: Maybe our QBs aren't good passers because our coaches are not good at coaching the passing game. I'm not talking about just throwing and catching the ball, but pass blocking (always an issue), coaching our QBs to read defenses, coaching our WRs how to get open/nuances of route running, coaching the QBs how to manipulate the defenses (how many times do our QBs look off the safety and throw the other way?), etc.

The passing game is more than just pitching and catching. There's a lot of subleties that go into the passing game that, quite frankly, you can tell GT does not coach when you look at teams that pass more. Even our QB drops are funky. We're a running team, therefore our coaches will emphasize what we do best. That's their choice. Our passing schemes from the RnS are also practice intensive. Something has to give...and it seems it's our passing.

Doesn't matter if our QB goes to elite passing camps (like Vad did) if the other 10 guys don't get the same level of coaching in the passing game.
Maybe our coaching staff is too in-bred.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Gonna have 2 good true freshmen next year too. I doubt they'll compete but the future at qb looks nice so far
Until the ones who don’t win the job transfer. We have hype at the QB position every year.

Remember last year? Matthew Jordan was figured to be the starter at the beginning. But there was a huge debate for the #2 guy and who would presumably take over. Many people wanted Lucas because of his passing ability, but Jay Jones seemed to have a leg up because of how much CPJ praised him. Then we had the AB turned QB Taquon Marshall and true freshman Tobias Oliver.

We knew what we had with Jordan and if anyone beat him out they would have to be good. Taquon beat him out, run for 250 yards and 5 TDS against a then top 25 Tennessee team while also leading the offense to 700 yards of offense. We thought we had found something better than JeT someone who could run the offense better than him and was more decisive with the ball. Oh and we had all of those other guys waiting in the wings. Then Matthew Jordan retires.

Fast forward to this year, we go 5-7 last year, Jay Jones leaves the team. Lucas tears his ACL, TQM is having an up and down year, but now we have the reincarnation of TQM against Tennessee in Tobias Oliver.

I’m not saying that I’m not excited about what TO did against VT but I’m just saying we may need to pump the brakes on him and QB depth.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Until the ones who don’t win the job transfer. We have hype at the QB position every year.

Remember last year? Matthew Jordan was figured to be the starter at the beginning. But there was a huge debate for the #2 guy and who would presumably take over. Many people wanted Lucas because of his passing ability, but Jay Jones seemed to have a leg up because of how much CPJ praised him. Then we had the AB turned QB Taquon Marshall and true freshman Tobias Oliver.

We knew what we had with Jordan and if anyone beat him out they would have to be good. Taquon beat him out, run for 250 yards and 5 TDS against a then top 25 Tennessee team while also leading the offense to 700 yards of offense. We thought we had found something better than JeT someone who could run the offense better than him and was more decisive with the ball. Oh and we had all of those other guys waiting in the wings. Then Matthew Jordan retires.

Fast forward to this year, we go 5-7 last year, Jay Jones leaves the team. Lucas tears his ACL, TQM is having an up and down year, but now we have the reincarnation of TQM against Tennessee in Tobias Oliver.

I’m not saying that I’m not excited about what TO did against VT but I’m just saying we may need to pump the brakes on him and QB depth.

Well jordan's injury basically retired him. Jay left the team probably for academic reasons ( he was all in n competing for the job until after his first semester of grades).

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Well jordan's injury basically retired him. Jay left the team probably for academic reasons ( he was all in n competing for the job until after his first semester of grades).
Just saying stuff like that seems to happen every year. The Vad transfer, Marcus Marshall transfer, Dedrick getting kicked off the team. If we have to rely on history I’m sure we will have someone who we think highly of unexpectedly leave after this year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Just saying stuff like that seems to happen every year. The Vad transfer, Marcus Marshall transfer, Dedrick getting kicked off the team. If we have to rely on history I’m sure we will have someone who we think highly of unexpectedly leave after this year.

I think that happens everywhere. Marshall's transfer was written as soon as Dedrick won the spot. That family had just witnessed his brother get sidelined at uga, they also had strong ties to JMU. Dedrick would not have been kicked off any other team in the south east. And now he would not have been kicked off GT with the change in the policy T stan just pushed in.

Vad's transfer was like any other QB transfer we have seen recently ( Kelly Bryant anyone, blake Barnett) Vad thought he would do better elsewhere. he did in numbers but really vad always crushed the FCS. A lot of times our transfers end up being academic even if it is not said. Kids end up realizing they can't do the workload and want to go somewhere else.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think that happens everywhere. Marshall's transfer was written as soon as Dedrick won the spot. That family had just witnessed his brother get sidelined at uga, they also had strong ties to JMU. Dedrick would not have been kicked off any other team in the south east. And now he would not have been kicked off GT with the change in the policy T stan just pushed in.

Vad's transfer was like any other QB transfer we have seen recently ( Kelly Bryant anyone, blake Barnett) Vad thought he would do better elsewhere. he did in numbers but really vad always crushed the FCS. A lot of times our transfers end up being academic even if it is not said. Kids end up realizing they can't do the workload and want to go somewhere else.
I know, I’m just saying if Oliver wins the job next year, does Lucas Johnson stay? What does James Graham do, switch positions? I would think if LJ stays Graham switches to WR and Yates would be our 3rd QB.

I just hate to see Graham go to WR, I believe he could be very special at QB

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I know, I’m just saying if Oliver wins the job next year, does Lucas Johnson stay? What does James Graham do, switch positions? I would think if LJ stays Graham switches to WR and Yates would be our 3rd QB.

I just hate to see Graham go to WR, I believe he could be very special at QB
Is Lucas going to transfer out as a SR? Maybe if he graduates and is immediately eligible as a transfer.

Graham is going to be a RS freshman next year. He ain’t switching positions.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Originally, I thought it didn't matter much who started as long as both played meaningfully and the best fit kept on playing.

I now think TM should be the first to go. He should make the D think more since he has a larger playbook mastered. Then when TO comes in, the speed of the plays will increase. At least I think the BB hits the hole a lot faster with TO and TO is faster than the dinged up TM. When TO gets dinged up he'll slow down too, just part of the wear and tear of a running game.

I see a lot of TM in TO. Specifically, last year TM seemed to be a bit of a ball hog but this year is pitching much more and much better.

I like both guys.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Originally, I thought it didn't matter much who started as long as both played meaningfully and the best fit kept on playing.

I now think TM should be the first to go. He should make the D think more since he has a larger playbook mastered. Then when TO comes in, the speed of the plays will increase. At least I think the BB hits the hole a lot faster with TO and TO is faster than the dinged up TM. When TO gets dinged up he'll slow down too, just part of the wear and tear of a running game.

I see a lot of TM in TO. Specifically, last year TM seemed to be a bit of a ball hog but this year is pitching much more and much better.

I like both guys.
Would your same reasons apply to lee and Bryan starting/ (then rotating young guys ) this week against the dl and lb of UNC who are expierenced and deep?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If Graham can play WR like a peter warrick type...I’d be fine seeing him switch to WR. Not saying he’s a better WR than QB...but if he could....he might do us better there than at QB.