Marcus Marshall Transferring

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The play I hate is the counter option. It is too slow.

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I think you'll see it less if MJ is the QB. I don't remember running it a ton with Nesbitt, but I remember seeing it a bunch with Tevin. I guess the idea of that play is to take advantage of teams that cheat bad on the motion...and you really need speed to do that with that particular play.

I really like the AB counter a whole lot more when teams are doing that though...

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I think you'll see it less if MJ is the QB. I don't remember running it a ton with Nesbitt, but I remember seeing it a bunch with Tevin. I guess the idea of that play is to take advantage of teams that cheat bad on the motion...and you really need speed to do that with that particular play.

I really like the AB counter a whole lot more when teams are doing that though...

The problem with the counter and the defenses that play us is that the linebackers play deeper and are too quick. Now on the counter give back to the B back, it is a quicker hitting play. We actually started running the counter in 2010. I watched CPJ call that play three times in a row against NC State, a game we lost. I wish CPJ would bring back the A jet plays.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Or maybe he felt like he already should have beaten out Mills and left because he came to the conclusion that, barring mills getting kicked off the team, there was no way he was going to start regardless of what he did.

But nope. Guy transferred so he obviously didn't want to work for it.

The problem with that logic is I never saw MM Block as well as DM ( and Mills needs to improve a ton) and I never saw MM run through or carry tacklers the way DM has... This year I saw CPJ game plan or put MM in spots that took advantage of the break away speed ala (Snoddy or Smith), however I never saw MM beat out DM....Never did I say to myself.. wow MM should be playing ahead of DM... Sometimes players get bad advice from others and this appears the case in this situation!!! YOU GET WHAT YOU EARN, and every year you have to earn a starting spot!!!!!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This year I saw CPJ game plan or put MM in spots that took advantage of the break away speed ala (Snoddy or Smith), however I never saw MM beat out DM....Never did I say to myself.. wow MM should be playing ahead of DM... Sometimes players get bad advice from others and this appears the case in this situation!!! YOU GET WHAT YOU EARN, and every year you have to earn a starting spot!!!!!!
Or you find yourself in the wrong position when a new player comes in. I'm betting that after last year both MM and Coach thought he'd be the starter and were ok with that. Then Mills arrived and suddenly MM finds himself #2. I've said here many times - shoot, I said it during spring practice - that I thought he should be moved to AB and set up for 10 - 15 carries a game, just like Orwin Smith. I think if he had stayed that is what would have happened. But it couldn't happen this year; we needed two BBs with game experience and, given how he came on, MM earned the starters role and might have kept it next year, Mills or no Mills. I'm still betting that he would have been moved. Putting him at AB would have maximized our offensive fire power.

But he decided to leave, perhaps because he wasn't sure that he would win out at AB, given his problems with blocking, and he didn't think he could beat out Mills. I hope he made the right decision and does well wherever he ends up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or you find yourself in the wrong position when a new player comes in. I'm betting that after last year both MM and Coach thought he'd be the starter and were ok with that. Then Mills arrived and suddenly MM finds himself #2. I've said here many times - shoot, I said it during spring practice - that I thought he should be moved to AB and set up for 10 - 15 carries a game, just like Orwin Smith. I think if he had stayed that is what would have happened. But it couldn't happen this year; we needed two BBs with game experience and, given how he came on, MM earned the starters role and might have kept it next year, Mills or no Mills. I'm still betting that he would have been moved. Putting him at AB would have maximized our offensive fire power.

But he decided to leave, perhaps because he wasn't sure that he would win out at AB, given his problems with blocking, and he didn't think he could beat out Mills. I hope he made the right decision and does well wherever he ends up.
Why would you put someone at Aback who doesn't want to block?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Orwin got better as he went along. If compared to our current group, he would come out fine. However, when compared to his contemporaries, he paled. We gotta get better in this phase next year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our abacks really excite me with their playmaking ability. We have a long way to go to equal where we should be blocking from this position. Which is O so important.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong but I thought he was fine at blocking.
So are we saying as a true soph
Orwin was a better blocker than MM? What year ( true fresh, soph, etc did orwin play?
I lived in texas and only saw a few of gt games. I was hoping mm would be a beast by senior year.