Marcus Marshall Transferring

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I could only get behind that if coaches were held to their contracts.

Does this mean that schools should honor coaches contracts, unless a term of the contract is violated? In year 3 of a 5 year contract, you can see the program is not headed in the right direction. Are you saying the school should keep the coach for the remainder of the contract or pay it off?

We live in a capitalistic society. People should be free to choose to move if they believe they are not in the best situation for themselves. Scholarships are for 1 year and student athletes should also have the option to move if they please. If they sign a 4 year guaranteed scholarship, I could reconsider.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why is a 4 year scholly even needed? When has Tech ever failed to honor a scholly as a 4 year commitment outside of guys kicked off for violating team/school rules?......oh wait, y'all talking about Bama.....nevermind.

TechPreacher

Banned
JMU's coach, Mike Houston, is a triple option guy. He ran it at Lenoir Rhyne and at Citadel, prior to JMU. So, MM's decision surely can't be based on his dislike of the system....

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
He feels he could do better in a more traditional offense?!! If he didn't let Mills come in a beat him out he probably would've been around the 1200 yard mark. Not gonna get much better than that in any offense. Running for 100+ against VT and Virginia the offense didn't hold him back. Idk our offense can be special when we get good talent to come run it, but the offense seems to get nothing but negative criticism from a recruiting standpoint.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Idk our offense can be special when we get good talent to come run it, but the offense seems to get nothing but negative criticism from a recruiting standpoint.

I made a post about how GT Athletic Department could do a lot more to help CPJ with recruiting. I also stated that CPJ could do more to help himself with more tempo series, gun plays, & passing. Tired arguments that everyone has a problem with but then wonder why recruiting is the way it is.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I made a post about how GT Athletic Department could do a lot more to help CPJ with recruiting. I also stated that CPJ could do more to help himself with more tempo series, gun plays, & passing. Tired arguments that everyone has a problem with but then wonder why recruiting is the way it is.

Umm? I think pretty much everyone understands why recruiting is the way it is. And I have never seen anybody ever argue that CPJ is the best recruiter that Tech has or could ever have. That said, most think he is a really good coach. It would be silly to adjust his scheme just to cater to some recruits.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that athleticism is better top to bottom under CPJ than any previous coach since Dodd. Most of my life, we have had 7-8 good athletes on the entire roster and the remainder were so so. 10 years from now, we may be wishing for a second stringer as good as we have now.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think the gun and other offenses are going to help recruiting and winning given the new APR and GT requirements. Does Vanderbilt really out recruit GT by that much and win more than GT.

GT does not have the degrees, the amenities, the low scruples, and the money to try and compete with factories and the "fun" more NFL like offenses.

I am a 5 star that wants to go to class, pass drug tests, make grades without cheating, take hard classes, wants a business degree/engineering degree, and wants to live in the SE. All you have to do is put in a NFL offense.

The pond is small and the bait is wrong to go after this fish.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I know that Mills is a load. I think if he keeps his head on straight, he'll probably end up being the best B-Back you guys have had since Anthony Allen, and maybe since Dwyer.

That said, MM was a a WHALE of a back, for a sophomore. If Mills never signs with Tech, I'm probably saying the above sentence about Marshall, instead.

Watch this with the sound turned off:

Watch how Marshall jumps off the screen. And yes, I know he's a guy who looks better in highlight reels than he does in the game because he's a little bit hit and miss, but still. His home run ability is something GT hasn't had in a looooong time.

I bet you he tears it right up at JMU.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
The pond is small and the bait is wrong to go after this fish.[/QUOTE said:
while i agree with most of what you said im not sure if i agree with the above. i recently posted the link to an article that says there are something like 1.2 million highschool football players in the country. that... is NOT a small pond.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
JMU's coach, Mike Houston, is a triple option guy. He ran it at Lenoir Rhyne and at Citadel, prior to JMU. So, MM's decision surely can't be based on his dislike of the system....

While Mike Houston indeed had success with an under-center TO offense at Lenoir-Rhyne and The Citadel, the offense at both places was pretty much the baby of Houston's OC, Brent Thompson. This past season at JMU, Houston had the offense running zone-read option out of the shotgun, not under center. Brent Thompson got bumped up to HC at The Citadel when Houston left for JMU, and The Citadel continued to run QB-under-center TO, often out of the T-bone formation. Both teams, of course, were successful; The Citadel made it to the FCS playoffs for the second year in a row, and JMU won the 2016 FCS title.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Do you want to recruit "better" or win more? CPJs offense is his offense. When we change too much (see Vad Lee experiment) we don't win.