Marcus Marshall Transferring

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I find all the "transfers happen at every school" then proving the claim with looks at SEC programs unconvincing. Basically, I find it bizarre when Tech fans treat their program as comparable to any other programs in any situation. A player that goes to a program where it is near impossible for them to be allowed to be a student and get a worthwhile education, and degree, does not have the right to be compared to a student athlete at Tech. These programs also oversign and routinely run players off suggesting a clear lack of commitment from the coaches to the players. Finally 4/5 stars are widely delusional about their pro prospects.

The bottom line, as it seems to me, is that Tech accidentally recruited a me-first running back, and also a delusional one. Anyone who would forego a free Tech degree is very shortsighted, especially when they get good grades.

To have a running back tandem like Laskey and Days you first have to have two team first players like they were. Laskey screwed up one punt return and never was allowed to try and catch another one. Days was possibly the most unselfish player Tech has ever had. Neither ever had an ounce of quit in them. Those 2014 seniors are the evidence of what Tech needs to win, upper classmen who always put the team first. To get there a very high percentage of recruits has to turn out to be that kind of player and you coach them up.

I pay zero attention to players that leave Tech early (except to go pro), instead becoming perfectly indifferent.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Finally, the best GT offense we have ever had (2014) did not have a BB with explosive speed. The greatest BB this offense has ever produced (Adrian Peterson) certainly did not have explosive speed.
I was wondering if anyone would mention the real Adrian Peterson. I think one reason that Mills won the job is that Coach looked at him and saw AP, once he got some game experience. Due to Mills's off field capers we won't know if that's true until next year, but I don't doubt that he might end up being just that kind of back. If so, I suspect that one of Coach's nightly prayers ("Dear Lord, please send me another Adrian Peterson. Please! I begging you!") will have been answered.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering if anyone would mention the real Adrian Peterson. I think one reason that Mills won the job is that Coach looked at him and saw AP, once he got some game experience. Due to Mills's off field capers we won't know if that's true until next year, but I don't doubt that he might end up being just that kind of back. If so, I suspect that one of Coach's nightly prayers ("Dear Lord, please send me another Adrian Peterson. Please! I begging you!") will have been answered.

I heard a former GSU coach explain why AP was the perfect BB. He said that what they look for in a BB isn't a great 40 time, but a great 10 time (the first 10 yards). AP had that pop in the first 10 yards, to go along with the strength to bounce off tackles and keep his legs churning through contact. I see that in DM, and it is exciting!

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I wonder why we haven't heard anything from PJ on this, maybe they trying to turn him. During my 40 year career with the same company, I resigned 3 times.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder why we haven't heard anything from PJ on this...

CPJ doesn't normally comment about transfers and players who quit the team does he?...unless asked. At the next radio show or press conference whatever he'll probably just say something like 'Marshall is a good kid, who made his decision and did it in the right way. Best of luck to him'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
While I hate to lose Marshall and Dorian Walker I do really appreciate that they are making their intentions known early so that we can plan our recruiting accordingly.

It just fits in with what I know about the Marshall family: high character people. I don't know the logic behind the decision to transfer, but I do appreciate the way it is being handled. Like Vad this is a good kid and I wish him well in football and life.

One never likes to lose good players. That said, I think GT will be fine.

LibertyTurns

Banned
While I hate to lose Marshall and Dorian Walker I do really appreciate that they are making their intentions known early so that we can plan our recruiting accordingly.

It just fits in with what I know about the Marshall family: high character people. I don't know the logic behind the decision to transfer, but I do appreciate the way it is being handled. Like Vad this is a good kid and I wish him well in football and life.

One never likes to lose good players. That said, I think GT will be fine.
A kid that plays like he did against the mutts is the kind of kid I want. You could see the drive and determination. Shame he wants something different, but one thing you can't impugn is the kid's integrity. He didn't catch that from the proverbial village that helped raise him. Family matters & he clearly has been raised by a top 1% family. Their son is going to be a success wherever he goes. I wish him nothing but good luck because the entire time he represented the Institute he did nothing but set an outstanding example for all of us to be proud of.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A kid that plays like he did against the mutts is the kind of kid I want. … He didn't catch that from the proverbial village that helped raise him. Family matters & he clearly has been raised by a top 1% family.
Wish it was that simple. I don't doubt that you're right, but think a moment and I bet you can name several kids (I sure can) from "top !%" families who turned out to be quite different in every way from what others would expect, give their parents and siblings. Same goes for kids who had intense supervision while they were growing up. If we had a clear notion of why kids turn out the way they do, we'd all do the same things and life would be hunky-dory. But we don't.

What we can say is that kids from families that are well off do better on average in terms of both behavior and achievement then kids from poor families. But my guess is that you already knew that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Love seeing boomers **** on millenials when they're the ones that raised them.
As a baby boomer who raised a millenial I can say that the difference is not necessarily bad. I was taught to be loyal and work harder which means that sometimes I stayed at a position longer than I should have. Millenials are clear that most employers are not loyal to their employees so it makes sense to them to look around and keep marketing themselves. Of course this is not an either/or thing but the current trend among millenials seems appropriate to the times, even if there are occasional examples of being short sighted or even selfish.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If we had a clear notion of why kids turn out the way they do, we'd all do the same things and life would be hunky-dory. But we don't.
Actually we do but for lots of different reasons our society is not interested in investing in the kinds of programs that help children ages 0-2 so that their brains develop in healthy ways.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As a baby boomer who raised a millenial I can say that the difference is not necessarily bad. I was taught to be loyal and work harder which means that sometimes I stayed at a position longer than I should have. Millenials are clear that most employers are not loyal to their employees so it makes sense to them to look around and keep marketing themselves. Of course this is not an either/or thing but the current trend among millenials seems appropriate to the times, even if there are occasional examples of being short sighted or even selfish.

Yes, so there's a definite balance...so getting this thread back on topic. As long as DM is able to stay eligible, I'm not that concerned with MM moving on. I just hope he's making the decision for the right reasons instead of the wrong ones. I doubt he's going to end up the NFL...maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my opinion. I just hope that if I'm right he's thinking about what he'll do after college if the pro career doesn't work out.

Hell, who knows...maybe he is thinking just that and realized he didn't want to major in Management at Tech and figured there's a better fit out there for him.

Anyhow...if he's transferring just for PT in football then I think it's probably a mistake. Either way, I hope he does well...assuming we never have to play against him.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, so there's a definite balance...so getting this thread back on topic. As long as DM is able to stay eligible, I'm not that concerned with MM moving on. I just hope he's making the decision for the right reasons instead of the wrong ones. I doubt he's going to end up the NFL...maybe I'm wrong, but that's just my opinion. I just hope that if I'm right he's thinking about what he'll do after college if the pro career doesn't work out.

Hell, who knows...maybe he is thinking just that and realized he didn't want to major in Management at Tech and figured there's a better fit out there for him.

Anyhow...if he's transferring just for PT in football then I think it's probably a mistake. Either way, I hope he does well...assuming we never have to play against him.
Well, if he is getting a bunch of deep handoffs, he probably won't have to block. He never really seemed into that aspect of the game if you ask me.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Boomer said something above which is a big part of the transfer decision. Knowing that PJ has a bias toward the player who has been in the system longest, I was surprised to see Mills pass Marshall as opening game starter. I thought Wow! If he is better enough to pass Marshall, he must be something special. Of course I was only thinking of his running.

It seemed to me that more than once when a caller said something about how great Marshall ran the game before, PJ would agree but then add something like "but there is more to the position than that." Once, IIRC, Andy followed with "such as blocking?" And Paul said "You got it." I think Mills won the position on a combination of running and blocking. Whether Marshall tried but just didn't have the knack or whether PJ thought he didn't block well because the effort wasn't there, we'll never know.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Might as well turn the page on this one. It really does not matter why Marshall transferred nor does it make sense projecting what he might have meant to our team going forward. Hopefully Mills can work out and with him Quaide and Benson we will have a high level of performance at the B Back position. Let's move on and head to Jacksonville with a positive outlook to close out this season. Who knows what 2017 will bring but it will as always be interesting and entertaining to find out.

Go Jackets!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure that the combination of Mills and Marshall are not the best we have had here during PJ. I am sure others who loved Dwyer and Allen will argue and put me in my place. The reason for my comment is to suggest that our guys that follow them (Q and Benson) could perform well for us. I was looking forward to seeing Benson flash his speed, as he is the fastest back on campus (100m). We will see. Back to Marshall. Wish him nothing but the best. Next man up.