Marcus Marshall Transferring

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I looked at the 2016 game by game statistics for both players this year and found out the following:
- When MM had 9 carries or more in a game (all games), we were 6-0 (BC-9, Mercer-10, Duke -13, VT-19, UVA-16, UGA-9)
- When DM had 9 carries or more in a game (all games), we were 3-4 (BC-18, Vandy-14, Clemson- 16, UM-19, Pitt-15, GSU- 13, UNC-19)
- Games that MM had less than 9 carries: Vandy-3, Clemson- 5, UM-4, Pitt-4, GSU-4, UNC-0 (Injured, DNP)
- Yds per carry for the season: MM- 6.5; DM- 5.0
I can understand why he was unhappy with his role at Tech. I think we will miss him more than a lot of us think. I wish PJ would have found a way to use him more. I know that more carries is not a guarantee he would have stayed, but certainly would have increased the chances of his staying.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure that the combination of Mills and Marshall are not the best we have had here during PJ. I am sure others who loved Dwyer and Allen will argue and put me in my place. The reason for my comment is to suggest that our guys that follow them (Q and Benson) could perform well for us. I was looking forward to seeing Benson flash his speed, as he is the fastest back on campus (100m). We will see. Back to Marshall. Wish him nothing but the best. Next man up.
Dwyer and Allen never shared duties at B Back. I believe Preston Lyons was the back up for both of them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I looked at the 2016 game by game statistics for both players this year and found out the following:
- When MM had 9 carries or more in a game (all games), we were 6-0 (BC-9, Mercer-10, Duke -13, VT-19, UVA-16, UGA-9)
- When DM had 9 carries or more in a game (all games), we were 3-4 (BC-18, Vandy-14, Clemson- 16, UM-19, Pitt-15, GSU- 13, UNC-19)
- Games that MM had less than 9 carries: Vandy-3, Clemson- 5, UM-4, Pitt-4, GSU-4, UNC-0 (Injured, DNP)
I can understand why he was unhappy with his role at Tech. I think we will miss him more than a lot of us think. I wish PJ would have found a way to use him more. I know that more carries is not a guarantee he would have stayed, but certainly would have increased the chances of his staying.
I still doubt we would have won if Marshall got 9 carries against Clemson, Pitt, Miami, and UNC. And against Pitt and UNC we moved the ball perfectly fine, but I do agree we might miss Marshall more than some think, that just depends on how DM progresses, and if one of the other guys step up behind him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I still doubt we would have won if Marshall got 9 carries against Clemson, Pitt, Miami, and UNC. And against Pitt and UNC we moved the ball perfectly fine, but I do agree we might miss Marshall more than some think, that just depends on how DM progresses, and if one of the other guys step up behind him.

Without explosive potential they crowd the line trying to stuff run and rush the passer. Only fearing 10-20 yard plays let's them gamble on getting us behind schedule. With mills and ol plus a qb that can see the field coach still has plenty of options. Adding Marshall on field at same time would have been great but only if he is a potential blocker.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Boomer said something above which is a big part of the transfer decision. Knowing that PJ has a bias toward the player who has been in the system longest, I was surprised to see Mills pass Marshall as opening game starter. I thought Wow! If he is better enough to pass Marshall, he must be something special. Of course I was only thinking of his running.

It seemed to me that more than once when a caller said something about how great Marshall ran the game before, PJ would agree but then add something like "but there is more to the position than that." Once, IIRC, Andy followed with "such as blocking?" And Paul said "You got it." I think Mills won the position on a combination of running and blocking. Whether Marshall tried but just didn't have the knack or whether PJ thought he didn't block well because the effort wasn't there, we'll never know.
FWIW, I think DM is a better runner too, different style runner, but better none the less. The blocking part is certainly a bigger margin in my mind and beyond any rational debate.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with using carries either as a metric for contributions to wins or, particularly, as a way to keep a player happy is found in the article posted in this thread:

https://gtswarm.com/threads/annapolis-newspaper-article-on-option-offense.11083/

It's an offense mastered through months of meticulous repetition but one that also requires players to make quick decisions based on what the defense does. If you're a running back or receiver who wants to become a superstar, it's probably not for you. Not enough carries or receptions to be had for any one player.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If you're a running back or receiver who wants to become a superstar, it's probably not for you.

I agree with this, but on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to have 2 talents like MM and DM, it would be wise to try to keep both of them happy. MM had only 4 carries a game for 5 games in a row, in which we lost 3 of those games. All I am saying is that, particularly with MM being the upper classman, it would have been a much better plan to give him 8-9 touches per game, which is hardly super star status. And I seriously doubt if we would have won the last 3 games without him. Recruiting and doing the best to keep your most talented players is important.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
If you're a running back or receiver who wants to become a superstar, it's probably not for you.

I agree with this, but on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to have 2 talents like MM and DM, it would be wise to try to keep both of them happy. MM had only 4 carries a game for 5 games in a row, in which we lost 3 of those games. All I am saying is that, particularly with MM being the upper classman, it would have been a much better plan to give him 8-9 touches per game, which is hardly super star status. And I seriously doubt if we would have won the last 3 games without him. Recruiting and doing the best to keep your most talented players is important.
I'm no expert, but it's an option offense. My understanding is that rarely does GT line up with a single play in which the ball is going to a designated player. So, how many snaps do you have to give a B-back to guarantee him 8-9 touches per game? 30? 40? And if you have another back with superior blocking skills, what do you lose on those plays where your favored B-back doesn't touch the ball?

You are asking CPJ to abandon the option for 8-9 plays per game to feed one back. Defenses will learn that pretty quick.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm no expert, but it's an option offense. My understanding is that rarely does GT line up with a single play in which the ball is going to a designated player. So, how many snaps do you have to give a B-back to guarantee him 8-9 touches per game? 30? 40? And if you have another back with superior blocking skills, what do you lose on those plays where your favored B-back doesn't touch the ball?

You are asking CPJ to abandon the option for 8-9 plays per game to feed one back. Defenses will learn that pretty quick.
You'd have to give him snaps, not carries. I'm not saying I'd do this, but you could promise him roughly half the offensive snaps or whatever percentage you want. There's no way to guarantee # of carries or you'd have to assign an assistant to keep track of his carries. It all smacks of a bad way to run a team if you ask me. Then you'd have all sorts of guys demanding #'s of plays or they'd threaten leaving.

Either you're on board with TEAM being first or you're not. Get on board or get off. MM chose to get off and that's fine. See ya.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Hopefully he doesn't progress to strike 3...

GTFLETCH

Banned

Marcus left because he did not want to master the BB craft and become a better blocker and beat out Dedrick Mills. The question is who will replace MM 9 carries?? Benson or Quaide??? Should be a great Battle!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Marcus left because he did not want to master the BB craft and become a better blocker and beat out Dedrick Mills. The question is who will replace MM 9 carries?? Benson or Quaide??? Should be a great Battle!!

Or maybe he felt like he already should have beaten out Mills and left because he came to the conclusion that, barring mills getting kicked off the team, there was no way he was going to start regardless of what he did.

But nope. Guy transferred so he obviously didn't want to work for it.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe he felt like he already should have beaten out Mills and left because he came to the conclusion that, barring mills getting kicked off the team, there was no way he was going to start regardless of what he did.

But nope. Guy transferred so he obviously didn't want to work for it.

You know, except for the fact that he just started against UGA when they were both available.

Actually in this offense there are straight called gives to the B back with no option aspect. Also there is a B toss, B load option and a B speed option. MM scored last year 60 plus on a B speed against Pitt and also against UVA. Fact is I am seeing that we run the true triple only about 8-9 times a game. The play I hate is the counter option. It is too slow.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
some players/parents are delusional about abilities and chose to walk away thinking they are going into a better situation. Unfortunately, MM will probably be another teams trash. Didn't Jeff Greene leave a few years back? Never heard from again. He could have been the "man" at GT. Instead, he walked, was on a team but he never saw the field. Waller is in the NFL now b/c of his departure. Someone will take advantage of this opportunity. Good luck to him. You never want someone around that's not "all in".