Marcus Marshall Transferring

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 2017 just prior to bowl season
The number times that espn shows MM JMU highlights will be ?? I would guess less than 1.
That number of MM and Mills high lites at ga tech would have been?? I would guess a lot as it would be a great story w lots of hype about great dual talents , unselfishness, and bright nfl prospects.

Glad he knows himself and what he needs to be happy. What a disaster if this was next year!"

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I got a feeling he will be the one replacing Elijah Hood

That was what I was thinking about his transfer to JMU. ACC to ACC transfers have to sit out 2 years per ACC rules. But play a season at FCS, get his degree, and he can then go to any of the North Carolina ACC schools for his senior season. He could be a pretty potent weapon in the UNC offense.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
He still has a redshirt year. If he was going to go to an FBS school in 2 years, he would've just transferred and sat a year so he had 2 full years to play. UNC makes no sense as there's no guarantee he would even see the field there. UNC consistently recruits good RB's.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I take the stance that he needs to do what is right for him and go to where he feels best fits him. Marshall played hard in the uga game even though he probably knew he was leaving. He informed the coaches in a timely manner and didn't harbor any ill will. We are going to miss him but he went about it right. I hope he does well a James Madison and makes it to the nfl from there.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I am very selfish and think only of my personal disappointment. I have enjoyed watching this young man. I question the wisdom of the move but fully understand it is his to make. I wish him the very best and always admire any kid that balances athletics and GT with success. With that said, we should all go back and pull up some the film on Benson as he certainly is capable of replacing Marshall and his speed game. He is actually faster than Marshall. As many of you have stated, next man up. I do believe that we are deeper at A&B backs than we ever have been. Now if these talented runners become our best blocking backs we will have something special.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Any ill will I have towards him isn’t even selfish. I think we’ll be fine without him. I just think it was a terrible decision both athletically and academically on his part. It was just a stupid decision IMHO.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am very selfish and think only of my personal disappointment. I have enjoyed watching this young man. I question the wisdom of the move but fully understand it is his to make. I wish him the very best and always admire any kid that balances athletics and GT with success. With that said, we should all go back and pull up some the film on Benson as he certainly is capable of replacing Marshall and his speed game. He is actually faster than Marshall. As many of you have stated, next man up. I do believe that we are deeper at A&B backs than we ever have been. Now if these talented runners become our best blocking backs we will have something special.
Watching bensen on sideline he looks like a sculpted lance austin= 5 10 ish 205#. Bio says was highly rated in track (100meter). I think he won state one year.

Speed is not in doubt. No lb (besides clemson ) can stay w him in space.

TOUGHNESS and ability to NOT run into back of oline men is to be determined.

He sure looks athletic so I hope we get a chance to see him in bowl game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With that said, we should all go back and pull up some the film on Benson as he certainly is capable of replacing Marshall and his speed game. He is actually faster than Marshall. As many of you have stated, next man up. I do believe that we are deeper at A&B backs than we ever have been. Now if these talented runners become our best blocking backs we will have something special.

TBH, I thought Kirvonte's film was OK. To me, he's more of an AB than BB, but we'll see. Kirvonte reminds me a LOT of Broderick Snoddy. Speed guys who are probably better in space than between the tackles. Remember, Snoddy was orginally slated to play BB for us. Started off there, but was not really that effective.

Marcus's HS film to this day is the best HS film for a RB we've signed under CPJ. Seriously, rewatch it. It's long TD run after long TD run, and he's breaking multiple tackles to do it. I said it when we signed him, had he been a few inches taller, GT probably doesn't get a chance at him. He's a more natural RB than his brother Keith was, and Keith was a 5 star RB. MM rushed for over 2000 yards and had 30 TDs as a senior. To me, Mills was the better BB (not by much towards the end of last season), but Marcus was the better pure RB. I thought he bailed out of GT too soon, but the guy has to do what he feels is best for his situation.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
TBH, I thought Kirvonte's film was OK. To me, he's more of an AB than BB, but we'll see. Kirvonte reminds me a LOT of Broderick Snoddy. Speed guys who are probably better in space than between the tackles. Remember, Snoddy was orginally slated to play BB for us. Started off there, but was not really that effective.

Marcus's HS film to this day is the best HS film for a RB we've signed under CPJ. Seriously, rewatch it. It's long TD run after long TD run, and he's breaking multiple tackles to do it. I said it when we signed him, had he been a few inches taller, GT probably doesn't get a chance at him. He's a more natural RB than his brother Keith was, and Keith was a 5 star RB. MM rushed for over 2000 yards and had 30 TDs as a senior. To me, Mills was the better BB (not by much towards the end of last season), but Marcus was the better pure RB. I thought he bailed out of GT too soon, but the guy has to do what he feels is best for his situation.
I think Travis Custis has been the best RB cpj has signed since being at GT. Stinks he wasn't able to stay, but there was a good chance he would have started in 2014 and at least been the backup, ( he was going into the spring) with plenty of playing time. He was the full package, speed, moves, and power. Dude trained hard and was strong.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Benson played behind a bad OL at Marietta. He was hit in the backfield a lot there.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Just drove by JMU. I like their campus. At least what we see from I-81

Attachments

• IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    974.8 KB · Views: 160

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Wish all athletes were locked in for four years unless the school goes on probation. You choose. Suck it up. Tough sh$t. Should have made a better choice.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Wish all athletes were locked in for four years unless the school goes on probation. You choose. Suck it up. Tough sh$t. Should have made a better choice.

I could only get behind that if coaches were held to their contracts. I think losing a year of eligibility is a significant penalty that keeps most players from transferring unless they're really unhappy. Graduates should have no restrictions, though...including degree limitations. If you graduate the player before their eligibility is up that should end the "contract" and allow them total freedom.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that might happen when the schools are locked into a 4/5 year scholarship for the athlete. Bottom line is the athletes are only guaranteed a scholarship for 1 year.

The schools recruit. They woo the S/A. They should suck it up. They should evaluate better and make better choices themselves. I'm all for the S/A having freedom to transfer year-to-year without having to sit out. As long as the schools can do it, why shouldn't the S/A be able to?