Marcus Marshall Transferring

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, Marcus Marshall talks about the transfer:

https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/georgia-tech-rb-marshall-transferring-to-james-madison

Marshall said the biggest reason for leaving Georgia Tech was its triple-option offense.

“I felt like the offense wasn’t my best fit,” Marshall said. “I felt like I could be more productive in a different system, something where I’d have a little more space to work in.

“With James Madison, I looked at their offense and I had the chance to see it first-hand against Sam Houston State. I really liked what I saw. I felt I could fit perfectly.”

There were hints that the offense was the real reason for his transfer, and not playing time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So MM is VL 2.0. I don't mean that in a bad way. Seems like both guys had people in their ears telling them they could excel in a "more traditional" O. Good luck to him. This is actually a positive for him and Tech. Whichever way you want to look at it, not a good fit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm. He sure seemed to me to do fine and get plenty of yards in the offense.

If you listened to the Dwyer interview, it was something he brought up as well. Specifically the spacing. In JD's case, he said it helped him because he was forced to make quicker decisions because of how close he was to the LOS and how much less time he had to react to the front 7 defenders. Once he got to the League and into a "pro style" offense, it felt like he was able to react a lot quicker because of the smaller space he had in college.

I guess it's all about how you choose to look at it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He knew when he committed. But there are still a ton of misconceptions about our O. Lots of people telling a young player the O is holding him back....can eventually create a change of mind. Especially when said player wasn't convicted entirely in first place.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair, we could've at least told him what offense we run while recruiting him.

They sold him on the 2013 Vad Lee film. He was expecting a lot of Diamond and Pistol formations.

He's still chasing that Vad Lee film to JMU...:whistle:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He knew when he committed. But there are still a ton of misconceptions about our O. Lots of people telling a young player the O is holding him back....can eventually create a change of mind. Especially when said player wasn't convicted entirely in first place.

Plus, I'm sure his brother has been in his ear with "league sources" saying, "Oh if you were in a real offense you'd be a 1st rounder ..."

They sold him on the 2013 Vad Lee film. He was expecting a lot of Diamond and Pistol formations.

He's still chasing that Vad Lee film to JMU...:whistle:

Heh, that's pretty good.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe anyone misled him about the offense. His only other offers were Vandy and Wake when we swooped in at the last minute, coming off our great 2014 campaign. Reality is his father played at JMU and his brother's a Dwag. They were probably looking for reasons to be in his ear negative about Tech. Good luck to him, but he passed up a P5 opportunity and a Tech education for JMU. Because playing at James Madison will help get you into the League? LOL. People will question the level of competition at JMU at least as much as they will the Tech offense. Terrible advice if that's the case.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think part of MM's decision was based on the long runs he was able to make for us. Problem = those runs were predicated on the O we run. There aren't going to be that many speed options or midlines at JMU. I would suppose that he figures that being back 8 yards will equalize the opportunities. Maybe so, maybe not. I wouldn't be quite as confident were I him or his advisors.

But that's beside the main point here: good luck at JMU, Marcus! I hope you succeed there as much as Vad did or more.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Looking at JMU's roster they lose their leading RB to exhausted eligibility but have a couple juniors he'll have to pass to take the starting reigns. It would be ironic if he left us for more playing time and ends up riding the pine.