Marcus Marshall Transferring

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't understand giving up a P5 school that you played and contributed to for JMU. Unless, it's academics, then it makes sense. Playing at the next level is much easier if you get national publicity. JMU doesn't get much more than local publicity. Oh well, good luck to MM.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Don't understand giving up a P5 school that you played and contributed to for JMU. Unless, it's academics, then it makes sense. Playing at the next level is much easier if you get national publicity. JMU doesn't get much more than local publicity. Oh well, good luck to MM.

Playing at the next level is much easier if you get more than 5 carries a game, which is about what he was going to get unless Mills got strike 3.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish him luck. He is a good kid. I wonder how much academics played a part in his overall decision? Did he come to the conclusion that he wanted to pursue a different academic goal or career that wasn't available at TECH? It is probably any and all of the things discussed. I don't feel comfortable characterizing his decision one way or the other. I am disappointed to lose him and I wish he would have stayed for the team's sake, but beyond that, without knowing his circumstances, I'll just try and remain as constructive as possible. This seems very much like the Vad situation, the specific school notwithstanding. You have to buy in to play at TECH.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I knew this would be where he went. I think i said it when the rumors first came out this is where he was thinking. Along with playing time, he was homesick. I agree with coach that we are fine at B-Back. Mills just needs to grow up and I am hearing he is really working hard. Benson has what you can't coach, SPEED. He is faster than Marshall. I also am really liking the new commit Jerry Howard Jr. He has been one of the most impressive players at the shrine bowl so far.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to keep in mind: The Marshalls grew up around the JMU program. Both parents graduated from there. JMU was a finalist for Marcus until GT stepped into the picture late.

He's going to do really well there. I hate losing a talent like him, but at the end of the day Marcus needs to do what he thinks is best for him. Good luck.

On another note, this will give QFro and Benson an opportunity for some carries in the bowl game. I hope we get a glimpse of the 2017 BB attack with Mills/Benson/QFro. If it's true that Benson is faster than Marshall, hot dang...can't wait to see him in the open field.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The problem with that logic is I never saw MM Block as well as DM ( and Mills needs to improve a ton) and I never saw MM run through or carry tacklers the way DM has... This year I saw CPJ game plan or put MM in spots that took advantage of the break away speed ala (Snoddy or Smith), however I never saw MM beat out DM....Never did I say to myself.. wow MM should be playing ahead of DM... Sometimes players get bad advice from others and this appears the case in this situation!!! YOU GET WHAT YOU EARN, and every year you have to earn a starting spot!!!!!!
Did you watch the UGA game? MM broke through several tacklers on the winning drive and in a crucial situation. He was a work in progress for sure but he improved greatly during the season, with limited carries, as evidenced by PJ starting him in the UGA game when both were available. Give the kid a break, he was only a sophomore.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@forensicbuzz

Pretty sure a degree is only required transferring from BCS to BCS. JM is FCS I believe so doesn't factor. Even if it did their is a very high probability he will get the degree regardless. Was in very good academic standing at Tech, I believe on track to graduate early, and all of those courses will transfer over.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
@forensicbuzz

Pretty sure a degree is only required transferring from BCS to BCS. JM is FCS I believe so doesn't factor. Even if it did their is a very high probability he will get the degree regardless. Was in very good academic standing at Tech, I believe on track to graduate early, and all of those courses will transfer over.
Like I said, if he transfers from JMU, unless he graduates, he'll have to sit a year. The waiver only happens when you go down a division. You don't get the same benefit coming back up. For example, Whitehead had to sit out a year when transferring from Georgia Military College because he failed to graduate. That was a JUCO, an even lower division.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this has already been said in this thread, but I wanted to say it publicly. MM has handled this with a TON of class. He didn't do the standard 19/20 year old thing and pout publicly, he hasn't bad-mouthed the team, or the university, or whatever. He has made a tough decision like a grown man, and I hold him in high regard because of it.

Whatever happens in football (and I genuinely hope the best for him), I feel like he's probably going to end up doing okay in life, because he's well put together upstairs.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess what's on my mind and maybe others is, is he transferring b/c he thinks staying at Tech and being second to Mills or in a better situation tandem with Mills (like Laskey/Days) will worsen his NFL chances and going to JMU will give him a better shot? Lots of assumptions here and I'm assuming he wants to go to NFL.

Yeah I get that his parents graduated from JMU but c'mon... scratching my head.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I guess what's on my mind and maybe others is, is he transferring b/c he thinks staying at Tech and being second to Mills or in a better situation tandem with Mills (like Laskey/Days) will worsen his NFL chances and going to JMU will give him a better shot? Lots of assumptions here and I'm assuming he wants to go to NFL.

Yeah I get that his parents graduated from JMU but c'mon... scratching my head.
Imo in 2 years he would look great as Co bb and have greater shot at nfl.
Imo
Without Jet w will be passing more Passing to which bb in the flat gives the defense the most trouble. I think MM would have been on high lite reel.
In nfl catching passes is key metric for a rb.

I guess mm thinks it will be run mills run.