CPJ & Nebraska

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there really an anti-DC HC bias? If not, why not Charles Kelly? He has playoff experience at FSU and is from the Paul Johnson coaching tree.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe he means at Nebraska specifically after Bo Pelini. There aren't a lot of great ones out there besides Saban but half the SEC HCs were DCs (Smart, Odom, Muschamp, Saban, Mason, Stoops, Bielema, Coach O was a DL coach) before becoming HCs so I don't know if athletic departments necessarily have a bias against hiring them.

It is a win-win for both teams. Paul has our program in a good place right now so anyone we hire will be a sorta big-name guy. Nebraska is in the :poop: hole right now and CPJ would do wonders for them. I've been begging for years for us to give Brent Venables a shot at the HC position. I love Paul and hope we can keep him but I wouldn't mind getting a guy in here that can turn us into a Top 25 program. Roof has shown that 4 Stars can and will play for Tech, I'd like to see us get some 4 Star guys on offense.
Coaching success at Tech is completely different from coaching success at Clemson. Venables would not have anywhere near the physical talent here that he enjoys at Clemson. And as head coach he would not have Brent Venables as his DC. Additionally, he is a Kansas guy, went to junior college there and then played at K-State. I think he is penciled in as Bill Snyder's replacement, if he doesn't go to Ole Miss.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If he turned them down before, why would they even bother coming back around? Clearly he doesn't view Auburn as a better place than GT.

He said in an interview that he turned them down(didn't name the school) because his daughter had just started high school and that he made a promise to his wife that if they moved to Atlanta that they wouldn't move again before she graduated. I don't know for sure that Auburn was the school, but it was rumored at the time. I also don't know that you can infer that he doesn't care for Auburn. The personal reasons he turned them down before aren't applicable anymore.

He said in an interview that he turned them down(didn't name the school) because his daughter had just started high school and that he made a promise to his wife that if they moved to Atlanta that they wouldn't move again before she graduated. I don't know for sure that Auburn was the school, but it was rumored at the time. I also don't know that you can infer that he doesn't care for Auburn. The personal reasons he turned them down before aren't applicable anymore.
When you are making $2.7 million a year, and you've been making $2 million plus for the last dozen years, how much does money figure into it? If you like where you are, the family is happy, you already can afford to do almost anything you want to do, go anywhere you want to go, the kids are set for life. Would you make a drastic change for a $750,000 a year bump?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
When you are making $2.7 million a year, and you've been making $2 million plus for the last dozen years, how much does money figure into it? If you like where you are, the family is happy, you already can afford to do almost anything you want to do, go anywhere you want to go, the kids are set for life. Would you make a drastic change for a $750,000 a year bump?

I have no idea what he thinks is important. I certainly hope that he is happy at GT and with the new GTAA administration. With the pay, I would say that it doesn't matter how much you make, a 30% pay raise is significant. He might look at some place like Nebraska or Auburn and think that they have more money to spend on facilities and support. GTAA revenue in 2015-16 was $76million with $76million in expenses. Nebraska was $112million-$103million, Auburn was $140million-$125million. Auburn was able to put about 20% of GT's budget in the bank while spending almost double what GT spent. He spoke year before last about Clemson's football support staff. I can't remember the numbers, but they travel with over 30 people I believe. They have people who take care of all of the tasks of getting players to the right place, getting things organized, ensuring everything is set up and in place. The coaches there don't have to worry about whether a player is in bed at curfew, or up in the morning, or eating the correct breakfast. They can just concentrate solely on football. I'm sure at those places, if a player misses curfew, or is misbehaving that the coaches get involved, but they don't have to micromanage it. Those schools can offer a coach a lot more than just a bump in salary. As I stated before, I really like him as the head coach and hope he stays here until he retires. I just think it is burying your head in the sand to believe that factory schools can't offer anything that GT can't.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Nebraska would be smart to go after a flexbone offense. I can't imagine that they'd hire a HC other than CPJ for that purpose. If I were them, I'd go after CPJ first and then go after a defensive minded HC who'd hire Jasper or someone as OC.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Here are power-5 coaching hires in last year. See the trend?

Baylor: Matt Rhule (age 42)
Oklahoma: Lincoln Riley (34)
Texas: Tom Herman (42)
Indiana: Tom Allen (47)
Minnesota: PJ Fleck (36)
Purdue: Jeff Brohm (46)
Cal: Justin Wilcox (40)
Oregon: Willie Taggert (41)
Ole Miss: Matt Luke* (40)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are power-5 coaching hires in last year. See the trend?

Baylor: Matt Rhule (age 42)
Oklahoma: Lincoln Riley (34)
Texas: Tom Herman (42)
Indiana: Tom Allen (47)
Minnesota: PJ Fleck (36)
Purdue: Jeff Brohm (46)
Cal: Justin Wilcox (40)
Oregon: Willie Taggert (41)
Ole Miss: Matt Luke* (40)
Matt Luke is going to be out of a job when the season is over.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
The real question of if Nebraska would even stand a chance for CPJ is what are the local golf courses like?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what he thinks is important. I certainly hope that he is happy at GT and with the new GTAA administration. With the pay, I would say that it doesn't matter how much you make, a 30% pay raise is significant. He might look at some place like Nebraska or Auburn and think that they have more money to spend on facilities and support. GTAA revenue in 2015-16 was $76million with $76million in expenses. Nebraska was $112million-$103million, Auburn was $140million-$125million. Auburn was able to put about 20% of GT's budget in the bank while spending almost double what GT spent. He spoke year before last about Clemson's football support staff. I can't remember the numbers, but they travel with over 30 people I believe. They have people who take care of all of the tasks of getting players to the right place, getting things organized, ensuring everything is set up and in place. The coaches there don't have to worry about whether a player is in bed at curfew, or up in the morning, or eating the correct breakfast. They can just concentrate solely on football. I'm sure at those places, if a player misses curfew, or is misbehaving that the coaches get involved, but they don't have to micromanage it. Those schools can offer a coach a lot more than just a bump in salary. As I stated before, I really like him as the head coach and hope he stays here until he retires. I just think it is burying your head in the sand to believe that factory schools can't offer anything that GT can't.
This board is desperately in need of a football game.