CPJ & Nebraska

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You should hang out in Lanett,Alabama!:vomit: A week there and someone will have to take all sharp objects.firearms,medicines and poisons as well as rope away from you;):LOL::ROFLMAO:
I take Lima, Ohio, back, though it still has the world's worst slums. The absolutely worst town is what is left of Opp, Ala., hometown of a former Alabama football coach named Mike Dubose. His parents put a sign on their yard saying such but hurriedly took it down after death threats and vandalism hard on the heels of a losing season. (Dabo Swinney was his WR coach, incidentally.) Went back for the funeral of my dad's youngest brother, last of the clan, found a cafe next to railroad tracks bisecting the town and stacked with abandoned and rusted out railway freight cars -- tracks across South Georgia and Alabama are jammed with tens of thousands end to end -- and asked a waitress with a thousand yard stare what people in Opp did for a living as I saw no business nor industry. She said she had never really thought about it but she had a job. I skipped the cemetery service and fled the Primitive Baptist Church directly north to Interstate 20 since even Chuck Berry knew this was no Promised Land.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I saw someone mentioned Amarillo TX. When I relocated back to Atl from SoCal in the med 90s and as I drove from El Paso to Dallas I said to myself "who in the right mind would have ever settled here?" That is some of the most desolate, unredeeming landscape I've ever seen!

I saw someone mentioned Amarillo TX. When I relocated back to Atl from SoCal in the med 90s and as I drove from El Paso to Dallas I said to myself "who in the right mind would have ever settled here?" That is some of the most desolate, unredeeming landscape I've ever seen!
People that drove from Atlanta to the 1970 Sun Bowl know that Dallas is halfway. Texas is big. And yes, west Texas is barren.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
When you are making $2.7 million a year, and you've been making $2 million plus for the last dozen years, how much does money figure into it? If you like where you are, the family is happy, you already can afford to do almost anything you want to do, go anywhere you want to go, the kids are set for life. Would you make a drastic change for a $750,000 a year bump?

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nebraska sucks to drive across, i have to imagine it sucks worse to live there...
Well, I guess. But there is something almost mystic in being able to drive the interstate along some parts of the old Oregon Trail, to view remnants of gun pits dug to protect the wagon train against Indian attacks, and to actually "touch (wagon) ruts" made by heavily loaded covered wagons pulled out of and pushed through soft ground that hardened almost 180 years ago and still survive. Game still bounds over the Plains and one can only imagine the cornucopia that sustained settlers. Now, the bugs you can have.

Deleted member 2897

I hear no one say...hey honey let's move to Nebraska thats a fun state to retire in one day

I think Nebraska became a state by default. All the settlers were setting up camp all over the desirable places and drawing boundaries, and then all of a sudden everyone realized they had a big hole boxed in inside South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. with nobody there inside. "Welp, I guess we have to make this a state too." By the way, Nebraska actually comes from the Indian word "Nebrathka". And that is no joke. Must have been the Thioux Indianth. (That last part is a bad joke.)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think Nebraska became a state by default. All the settlers were setting up camp all over the desirable places and drawing boundaries, and then all of a sudden everyone realized they had a big hole boxed in inside South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, etc. with nobody there inside. "Welp, I guess we have to make this a state too." By the way, Nebraska actually comes from the Indian word "Nebrathka". And that is no joke. Must have been the Thioux Indianth. (That last part is a bad joke.)
Driving through Utah is no great shakes either;)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Driving through Utah is no great shakes either;)
Utah is actually a very beautiful state, both the deserts and the mountains are some of our country's most beautiful places. Funny thing, though, modern day Utah was almost founded as described. When the Mormons settled there they claimed a much larger territory, which the government then peeled away the sections with more natural resources to create all the states around it, leaving the more mineral-scarce Utah for them.
My source for this btw is an episode of "How the states got their shapes"...I never actually looked it up for myself.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well, I guess. But there is something almost mystic in being able to drive the interstate along some parts of the old Oregon Trail, to view remnants of gun pits dug to protect the wagon train against Indian attacks, and to actually "touch (wagon) ruts" made by heavily loaded covered wagons pulled out of and pushed through soft ground that hardened almost 180 years ago and still survive. Game still bounds over the Plains and one can only imagine the cornucopia that sustained settlers. Now, the bugs you can have.

I must have missed that while barrelling down the interstate as fast as possible

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My guess = Frost goes to Florida and Coach stays here. And the Cornhuskers have to figure out how to stop firing winning coaches - Frank Solich, Bo Pelini - in hope of returning to the Osborne days.

Their fans show some affinities to some of ours: never satisfied with continuing success, always wanting the stars when they already have the moon. Let's all see if we can avoid duplicating their errors.