Wesley Wells

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
It could also be Wells missed a meeting or something and had to sit out this game. Coach just uses this as the excuse without getting into specifics. Just a guess.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Will see whats up at tailgate.

Imo, coach has given king every chance and that's a good thing.

At gt I would want a scholarship fg kicker to also kick off into end zone. I could see WW doing that in year 3/4 . But doing both now may have affected his pure field goal motion.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Would be great if we could ask GTBob to make a cut-up video of every Wells kick compared with all King’s. If memory serves Wells didn’t just make ‘em — he nailed them all straight down the middle of the uprights. Whereas King was a doinked extra point waiting to happen.

Also kickoffs. Nothing memorable comes to mind but has King’s leg ever stuck you as impressive?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That you call for ignoring lopsided game stats of the easiest position to evaluate in football in favor of weekly practice performances because of the need for a sample size that would take more than a season to accumulate for each of them.

Kickers probably kick 10 times more in a single week of practices than what they do in games over the course of the entire year. The fact you think 9 attempts, with most being short range, is enough to just ignore practice is stupid. It's not like game situations are that different. You don't ignore game performance, but you also don't only use an extremely small sample size to make a guy a competition proof for the position.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Kickers probably kick 10 times more in a single week of practices than what they do in games over the course of the entire year. The fact you think 9 attempts, with most being short range, is enough to just ignore practice is stupid. It's not like game situations are that different. You don't ignore game performance, but you also don't only use an extremely small sample size to make a guy a competition proof for the position.
I think what I am saying, and others have said as well is... until the guy misses a kick IN A GAME for us, why the F is he not the kicker? That's like having 2 QBs complete 50% completion over a 6 game span, and 1 QB completing 70%, but playing the other 2 because they played well in practice. WTF man?

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact you think 9 attempts, with most being short range, is enough to just ignore practice is stupid....You don't ignore game performance, but you also don't only use an extremely small sample size .

Again, Wells didn’t just “make” his “9 short range attempts”. Seemingly every kick split the uprights.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I gotta say, too, and I'll catch hate for this, but I was really surprised to see we would carry two scholarship placekickers this season, and it is not ideal, roster managment wise, to say the least. CGC went above and beyond in giving Wells his scholarship, and I am glad he did. King was given a scholly by the prior staff, so maybe Coach feels doing right by him means giving him a fair chance to compete.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Again, Wells didn’t just “make” his “9 short range attempts”. Seemingly every kick split the uprights.

His one against UVA to win it bounced off the upright in at least. And in any case that doesnt change sample size.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Much more pressure on actual game kicks. And there is really no arguing Wells is the better in game kicker.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I gotta say, too, and I'll catch hate for this, but I was really surprised to see we would carry two scholarship placekickers this season, and it is not ideal, roster managment wise, to say the least. CGC went above and beyond in giving Wells his scholarship, and I am glad he did. King was given a scholly by the prior staff, so maybe Coach feels doing right by him means giving him a fair chance to compete.

Yep, just to give him a chance to put something on his resume other than last year's debacle. I would imagine one is gone at the end of the year.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

stech81

Helluva Engineer

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is digging in on his position. This is the only legit criticism I have of him so far --- he's just wrong.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ictates-playing-time/48L0voxFfZfXwp95kxJRlJ/#

Were the Raiders wrong to cut loose their best receiver? I'm by no means implying Wells is a problem, but there are all kinds of reasons for a coach to make the decisions they do. If Collins feels the most important thing for GT is to have a program where everyone practices hard and improves (so we can compete with more talented teams), he'd be doing himself a disservice to start the guy that doesn't practice well. It sends totally the wrong message to the team. I'm sure his goal is that Wells will practice better next week so he can play.