Wesley Wells

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder why Brenton King got the nod over Wesley Wells as place kicker Saturday. Wells has been nothing but automatic last year on field goals. King missed that field goal by a long shot. Just disappointed I guess.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wonder why Brenton King got the nod over Wesley Wells as place kicker Saturday. Wells has been nothing but automatic last year on field goals. King missed that field goal by a long shot. Just disappointed I guess.

He won the kicking comp in practice per CGC. His FG attempt was over 50 yards. (51 IIRC) It missed a mile right but landed in the seats. That's some SERIOUS LEG. Can't figure out why he's not getting touchbacks on KOs.

Edit to note the kick is the third play you'll see if you click on the video.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don’t agree with treating kickers like this. For kickers, “confidence is king”. Wells may press now & never be the same. When you have a game-confident, proven kicker, you keep using them until they lose their edge. In this case, CGC is the head coach, but this is something I disagree about unless there is more to it than “practice”.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
People who are talking about how good Wells was last year — CGC wasn’t the coach last year. Every player came into this season with a clean slate. CGC isn’t thinking about the kicks Wells made last year (or any of the players’ plays last year) when thinking about who to send on the field this year.

I get your point but some things are no brainers. The comparative would be CPJ sitting Nesbit or D. Thomas

stech81

Helluva Engineer
People who are talking about how good Wells was last year — CGC wasn’t the coach last year. Every player came into this season with a clean slate. CGC isn’t thinking about the kicks Wells made last year (or any of the players’ plays last year) when thinking about who to send on the field this year.
Ok but why did he put him on scholarship before the season if not based on last year?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don’t agree with treating kickers like this. For kickers, “confidence is king”. Wells may press now & never be the same. When you have a game-confident, proven kicker, you keep using them until they lose their edge. In this case, CGC is the head coach, but this is something I disagree about unless there is more to it than “practice”.
Watch him warm up.
He missed from 40 at right hash.
Plenty of leg .
I think he will be fine.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I would usually agree with this.......but we have a damn good punter.
You are spot on.

In the clemson game he hit the pylon! He is dropping dimes.

He is by far our best player and fits perfectly into the strong defense we are building.

Watching him on tv is similar to watching a hockey game. Hockey is too fast and there is no ice noise on t v.

Watching PH live
When he punts you first hear his foot hit the ball and then u hear the crowd go wow as the ball keeps rising. Before the punt is made the returner is checking the gunners for a split second and then he see they arc of the ball and runs backwards to catch it like a pass.

He is Special.

However, hope he gets a rest f o.j r next few weeks . Lets move tge ball down field

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
You’ve got a kid who’s perfect on his career including some serious pressure kicks (UVA 2018). I understand “Competition is King” but damn Wells is one of the reasons our ST was being hyped so much entering the season.

slugboy

Staff member
He won the kicking comp in practice per CGC. His FG attempt was over 50 yards. (51 IIRC) It missed a mile right but landed in the seats. That's some SERIOUS LEG. Can't figure out why he's not getting touchbacks on KOs.

Edit to note the kick is the third play you'll see if you click on the video.

On the kickoffs, I think he was purposely kicking it high to keep it from being returned. I’m not sure if he could kick it through the end zone or nity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
I would usually agree with this.......but we have a damn good punter.

It was 4th and 9 from the 34. No one had scored and the defense was playing well. Even though it was 9 yards to go, I was wondering if we should go for it. The previous 3 plays hadn’t been for much yardage, though.

With either the kick or going for it, the faith in the defense seemed justified

If it was Clemson, I’d have said to punt and get it inside the 15, hopefully the 10. That’s 25 yards of net punting, though.

Inside the 5 would be great, but you even brush the pylon and it’s the 20.

I wasn’t enthusiastic when King came out to kick, and the kick was ugly. But I understand it.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind is that while Wells is perfect, it is on a small sample size, only 9 FGA's last year, with only 1 being over 45. Still had better numbers than King, but it's something to consider.

Only 1 being over 45. To give us the lead late in the 4th in a division game. That he followed up with another make in OT. He won the job that day. He should be kicking until there’s an in-game reason to open the competition.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was 4th and 9 from the 34. No one had scored and the defense was playing well. Even though it was 9 yards to go, I was wondering if we should go for it. The previous 3 plays hadn’t been for much yardage, though.

With either the kick or going for it, the faith in the defense seemed justified

If it was Clemson, I’d have said to punt and get it inside the 15, hopefully the 10. That’s 25 yards of net punting, though.

Inside the 5 would be great, but you even brush the pylon and it’s the 20.

I wasn’t enthusiastic when King came out to kick, and the kick was ugly. But I understand it.

Well at least cgc was decisive .

The kick appeared very low like a line drive kick off.

What is special about WW is his kicks always come out high w lots of rotation and no side spin or hook.

My general rule for field goal kickers follows:
If he ever misses inside 40, the whole team says shame on you.
If the offense can't get a kicker a 40 yd kick, the defense and kicker say shame on you.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Only 1 being over 45. To give us the lead late in the 4th in a division game. That he followed up with another make in OT. He won the job that day. He should be kicking until there’s an in-game reason to open the competition.

Okay. He still only has attempted one over 45 and there was a reason we didn't go for overly long FGs with him last year.

And what if he in practice on 50+ yard FGs he's either consistently short or consistently kicking it super low? You still put him into that situation just because he hit one last year from a shorter distance and didn't miss on a bunch of much shorter kicks?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Okay. He still only has attempted one over 45 and there was a reason we didn't go for overly long FGs with him last year.

And what if he in practice on 50+ yard FGs he's either consistently short or consistently kicking it super low? You still put him into that situation just because he hit one last year from a shorter distance and didn't miss on a bunch of much shorter kicks?

That second part would make sense if Wells was still kicking our XPs. Which he wasn’t. This wasn’t a case of just bringing in King for the long FG attempt b/c he has a bigger leg.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That second part would make sense if Wells was still kicking our XPs. Which he wasn’t. This wasn’t a case of just bringing in King for the long FG attempt b/c he has a bigger leg.

It was one scenario. It's also possible he's just routinely shanking them. We don't have an idea of what is going on in practice. Wells only has 9 FGAs. That's hardly enough to just have a blanket statement that practice should be ignored.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
You’ve got a kid who’s perfect on his career including some serious pressure kicks (UVA 2018). I understand “Competition is King” but damn Wells is one of the reasons our ST was being hyped so much entering the season.

Did wells get put on scholly?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
It was one scenario. It's also possible he's just routinely shanking them. We don't have an idea of what is going on in practice. Wells only has 9 FGAs. That's hardly enough to just have a blanket statement that practice should be ignored.

King is 6/11 in his career. He’s 1/6 from beyond 40 yards (career long of 42). He’s 27/29 on PATs.

Wells has never missed a kick in his career (9/9). He’s 4/4 from beyond 40 yards with a career long of 48. And he’s 41/41 on PATs.

Your argument is puzzling.