Wesley Wells

And you know this how?
Past performance by both of them. That doesn't mean that Wells couldn't have come back this year in a way not as good as last year. But he looked fine against Clemson, though with only 2 attempts, and the fact that King can't kickoff past the 20 doesn't speak highly of him overall. Yes, I know Wells has not done any kickoffs, but unless he has just totally gone to pot since last year, I don't see how King could possibly beat him out for XP's and FG's.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Past performance by both of them. That doesn't mean that Wells couldn't have come back this year in a way not as good as last year. But he looked fine against Clemson, though with only 2 attempts, and the fact that King can't kickoff past the 20 doesn't speak highly of him overall. Yes, I know Wells has not done any kickoffs, but unless he has just totally gone to pot since last year, I don't see how King could possibly beat him out for XP's and FG's.
Yet he may well have. Look I don’t know either but neither of us was at practice.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Seem to recall from CPJ days, he said something about making all of the kicks in practice about Mr. King.

Also seem to recall that Wells May have been reported to be a little more on the reserve side. Do recall CPJ saying that the moment was never too big for Wells. Effectively saying he (Wells) just goes and does.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mind the ATL thing but IF you allow that to take president over on field performance I have an issue. You don’t reward a kid for a good week in practice if your regular player is 100%. Now, Wells could be injured or something else could be going on that we don’t see.

On the flip side, if you are making exceptions right off the bat, to one of your most sacrosanct rules, what message do other players get from that? Luckily, it didn't hurt us and I have to believe there was a good reason. Would have been a tough kick for either guy. My preference would have been not to try it.

FWIW, Wells was, in fact, above the line this week, but I guess only to be used if King couldn't go. If we had additional FG chances, it would have been interesting to see what happened. My guess is it would have been considered "point made", King got the chance he had earned in practice, and we'd have seen Wells.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If collins keeps it up he will deserve the loss he gets if its due to benching a starter with a good record for the backup because of practice field goals.

Practice field goals are every bit like 5 foot practice putts. Meaningless when its the same put for the masters. Its one position in football that practice doesnt correlate as easy simply because its so much a head game.

Not only that. You could shake wells confidence by benching him

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
People who are talking about how good Wells was last year — CGC wasn’t the coach last year. Every player came into this season with a clean slate. CGC isn’t thinking about the kicks Wells made last year (or any of the players’ plays last year) when thinking about who to send on the field this year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
People who are talking about how good Wells was last year — CGC wasn’t the coach last year. Every player came into this season with a clean slate. CGC isn’t thinking about the kicks Wells made last year (or any of the players’ plays last year) when thinking about who to send on the field this year.
He needs to look at the videos or at least read about it! It is totally crazy if Walker doesn't become THE KICKER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

It would be foolish not to look at past in-game performances. Especially for a position like placekicking, which translates exactly to what they need them to do.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That's a terrible decision making process then. Its not like King was an unknown who'd never kicked for Tech before- he had and he sucked.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Thats maybe the silliest thing i have read in a while. The whole reason tobias started was referenced by collins how he played vs VT. USF last year etc. of course he knows his stats and in game results. Just like he knew about harvin

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It would be foolish not to look at past in-game performances. Especially for a position like placekicking, which translates exactly to what they need them to do.
It’d be foolish to look at past game performances — when he wasn’t the coach — over what his eyes showed him a few days prior.

What message would it send to the team if King made multiple clutch FGs this week in practice and Wells missed them, and then CGC sent Wells out when they’re both ATL?

That may be true in theory, but he sure as hell needs to be aware of what ST players were able to do last year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Thats maybe the silliest thing i have read in a while. The whole reason tobias started was referenced by collins how he played vs VT. USF last year etc. of course he knows his stats and in game results. Just like he knew about harvin

Okay, let me rephrase. CGC isn’t thinking about previous year’s film, unless we’re talking about 3 QBs who are close to each other in talent, 2 haven’t ever played, and we’re opening up @ #1 Clemson.

Slightly different circumstance than choosing a kicker @ home vs USF, or any other position in any other circumstance. And it wasn’t “the whole reason” why Tobias started, he was also the best option to execute the game plan.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Okay, let me rephrase. CGC isn’t thinking about previous year’s film, unless we’re talking about 3 QBs who are close to each other in talent, 2 haven’t ever played, and we’re opening up @ #1 Clemson.

Slightly different circumstance than choosing a kicker @ home vs USF, or any other position in any other circumstance. And it wasn’t “the whole reason” why Tobias started, he was also the best option to execute the game plan.

A big reason yes. Either way i question collins decision on this like i do cpj scheme for d for years