Virginia Tech postgame discussion

Animal02

Banned
This is a question (again) for the gurus. To my untrained eye, TM takes an angle to the sideline that is too wide. It seems that he and the Aback are within a couple of steps of each other near the sideline and therefore - A) the pitch isn't there and B) it allows one defender to cover our QB AND our A back. Is this correct...or are the D's scheming to get more guys to the outside. I share your concern.
I have had similar thoughts.....that the separation between TM and the pitch back have been out of sync most of the season.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Also, not to dwell on a bad thing, but the chop block call was huge. We are about 4 yards from going up 28-9, and instead come away with no points after the missed FG. VT then goes right down the field and scores. Those plays are critical, and we need to clean those up.
Challenging to clean something up that didn’t happen.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Based off of the replay, that was the correct call. The C was engaged high and the G went low.
If I’m wrong, so be it, but I thought they called it on the tackle and the center (which seemed odd). It looked like the tackle fell down and the center drove the guy over him.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Love how Kerr gets his head around and makes plays on the ball instead of running into the wr and getting PI or other team catching it. So many times you see DB's in position but cant make play bc they dont get head around and find ball. He did it against Clemson too... give the man more snaps!!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
If I’m wrong, so be it, but I thought they called it on the tackle and the center (which seemed odd). It looked like the tackle fell down and the center drove the guy over him.

If you watch the replay from the end zone view and combine it with knowing what is *supposed* to happen, it looks like:
  1. Cooper engaged his man
  2. Ivenmeyer tried to cut the DT next to Cooper's guy
  3. the DT ole'd Ivenmeyer - he backs up and Ivenmeyer goes flying in front of his legs
  4. Ivenmeyer's momentum on the whiff send him flying into the legs of Cooper's guy
So technically, it is a correct call - the NG got high-low'd. But it was a whiff by Ivenmeyer and unintentional.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, I don't know what the heck was up with Johnson's offense today. It's called the Triple Option Wishbone for a reason. By my count we ran it 4 times.

Fix it Johnson, the media's counting on you.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. Pretty sure this is not the over formation. Check it out: that’s not an A back outside the tackle. It’s #62 Bailey Ivemeyer, RsSo OL.

The formation is called Over Green. In this case, Over Right Green. One bit of playcalling genius from Johnson resulted from this formation. Johnson noticed that when we lined up in Over Green Foster would counter by shifting his defense to the strength of the formation. Ricky Jeune's TD catch came off of Over Left Green where Ricky was playing the RT position. Watch the replay and you'll notice the D shifted to the strong side of the formation and gives Jeune a clean release off the line.

The Over formation puts twins to one side with the inside WR ineligible. This is Over Left:

There is also an Over Brown formation (Over Right Brown, Over Left Brown) that is very seldom seen. I think we lined up in it once against Tennessee and I haven't seen it since.

And as a final nuance, the Heavy formation looks like Over Green but replaces the A-Back playing Tackle with a real Tackle.

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win. The chop block call was a joke. Our special teams were some of the worst I've seen in years. Unfortunately it's way too late to really get those issues fixed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Also, I don't know what the heck was up with Johnson's offense today. It's called the Triple Option Wishbone for a reason. By my count we ran it 4 times.

Fix it Johnson, the media's counting on you.
Evidence that the media, including sports broadcasters are lazy and ignorant.[emoji3]

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
If you watch the replay from the end zone view and combine it with knowing what is *supposed* to happen, it looks like:
  1. Cooper engaged his man
  2. Ivenmeyer tried to cut the DT next to Cooper's guy
  3. the DT ole'd Ivenmeyer - he backs up and Ivenmeyer goes flying in front of his legs
  4. Ivenmeyer's momentum on the whiff send him flying into the legs of Cooper's guy
So technically, it is a correct call - the NG got high-low'd. But it was a whiff by Ivenmeyer and unintentional.
Just saw it on YouTube. I think this is accurate.