Virginia Tech postgame discussion

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Nearly froze to death today, but I was so happy for the win! I still feel like we have a lot of work to do in all three phases of the game. But with ugag's blowout loss today, I am feeling much better about the potential of a four game win streak (five if we play a 12th game) to end the season.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
The second half today had a lot of exciting football, but none more so that...

Georgia Tech played a tight end! At least, that’s what it looked like. I saw a number of plays with an extra lineman to one side. It definitely helped - we actually had pass protection a couple of times.

LongestDay? Want to break that down for us?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The second half today had a lot of exciting football, but none more so that...

Georgia Tech played a tight end! At least, that’s what it looked like. I saw a number of plays with an extra lineman to one side. It definitely helped - we actually had pass protection a couple of times.

LongestDay? Want to break that down for us?
The tight end formation was just our normal over formation, only instead of the a back lining up wide they lined up off the normal tackle. The backside tackle was the wide reciever ( and eligible.)

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
The tight end formation was just our normal over formation, only instead of the a back lining up wide they lined up off the normal tackle. The backside tackle was the wide reciever ( and eligible.)

Nope. Pretty sure this is not the over formation. Check it out: that’s not an A back outside the tackle. It’s #62 Bailey Ivemeyer, RsSo OL.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Glad for the win. But still very unhappy with a passing attack that completes only 2 passes all game.

VPI&SU wasn’t that good a team. Yes, 7-2, but the wins were over Delaware, Old Dominion, East Carolina, UNC, Duke, BC and West Virginia. Not exactly impressive. I still don’t believe we can be really good completing two balls all game.

We have talent. We have athletes. But boy we continue to make mistakes. Today we almost beat ourselves again. We are all rejoicing because we overcame our mistakes. But watch good teams play. They don’t make as many mistakes as we do.

If we could play a clean game, we’d really be a very solid team.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think we call that Heavy formation. Over is both WR on same side. We lined up Heavy on the last TD.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Glad for the win. But still very unhappy with a passing attack that completes only 2 passes all game.

VPI&SU wasn’t that good a team. Yes, 7-2, but the wins were over Delaware, Old Dominion, East Carolina, UNC, Duke, BC and West Virginia. Not exactly impressive. I still don’t believe we can be really good completing two balls all game.

We have talent. We have athletes. But boy we continue to make mistakes. Today we almost beat ourselves again. We are all rejoicing because we overcame our mistakes. But watch good teams play. They don’t make as many mistakes as we do.

If we could play a clean game, we’d really be a very solid team.
On the contrary, we are at our best when completing two passes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We only completed 2....2 of 8. We really need to be completing 50%ish. Our WRs were getting open every time we threw and our Oline was protecting well. We just missed on a couple and dropped a couple. Overall improvement though.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope. Pretty sure this is not the over formation. Check it out: that’s not an A back outside the tackle. It’s #62 Bailey Ivemeyer, RsSo OL.

It's called heavy, in the case of the picture heavy right. There is not a tight end. There are still the same type of players out there. We have used the formation every year since 2008 and used it a lot this year. The important thing is that the personal does not change on offense because it forces the defense to stay in base personal. It is also the reason why we don't use 3 wrs on plays.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Great to see us pull a win out but I would love for us to quit trying to find ways to lose. Should've never been that close. CPJ called an A+ game and was throwing Bud for a loop all game again. Should've had at least 2 more TD's.

Taquon pick was shades of JT against Duke 2014. I'm sure he'll learn from that and never do it again. I still think we made enough insane plays to lose this week just this time Jalen Houdini Johnson saved us.

Our defense is insanely good. 1 scoring drive over 40 yards. If our D can stay this good with a more experienced Taquon next year, it could be great.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Sorry I meant to say Over Heavy as opposed to an actual Heavy formation in the flexbone which uses a tight end, monken's offenses use this a lot both at southern and at army.

Also the difference with this formation compared to the other normal way we line this up is Green is actually over the normal tackle and not the tight end. We did this to allow green a better angle on the safety as the tackle was taking his normal arc responsibility on the speed option.