Virginia Tech postgame discussion

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Leftovers:

I don't follow any other team closely enough to have a comparison, but we have a huge difference in how we play on the road vs at home. How do you explain that we were able to open creases up the middle against VT but not Virginia? How could we get pressure vs VT but not Virginia? We just play with a whole lot more energy and focus when we are at good old Bobby Dodd. We have got to find a way to play better on the road if we want to be a ten win team again.

Anthony Simmons is going to be missed more than about anyone who wasn't a starter. He has been half our pass rush as a sub for the last two years. He made two tackles in the 20s yesterday on kickoff coverage.

Maybe there is something to the notion that the rain had a lot to do with TaQuan's accuracy. The receiver admits to slowing down on the first GT play where it looked like TaQuan overthrew him. The two touchdown passes were on the money.

PJ says this in so many words about every other callin show. A few plays go your way or don't, and everyone thinks you're great or everything thinks you stink. Twice the Virginia QB throws perfect long balls to a big receiver and he makes the catch. VT throws it to a big receiver but where Ajani can get a hand on it. One week we are furious at the coaching staff and the next we think they are brilliant.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am concerned that our A backs are not involved in the offense as much this year. Lynch has all but disappeared. TM keeps it more on the edge rather than making the pitch. He has a lot of TD's this year so hard to criticize too much. That 2 pt play against UT still haunts me.
CPJ is saving him for UGA! New plays, fresh legs, and that Lynch like elusiveness will be UGA'S NIGHTMARE!

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Good win. The chop block call was a joke. Our special teams were some of the worst I've seen in years. Unfortunately it's way too late to really get those issues fixed.
The chop block call was textbook. I can't imagine any possible argument against it.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The chop block call was textbook. I can't imagine any possible argument against it.

It was a high low by the letter of the rule book, but I don't think that would have been called on 90% of other teams. It's like holding or OPI, it usually has to be blatant for it to get called. Coaches campaign officials to try and get even minor things like that called. Our OT was on the ground and was clearly not making a block on their DL.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Leftovers:

I don't follow any other team closely enough to have a comparison, but we have a huge difference in how we play on the road vs at home. How do you explain that we were able to open creases up the middle against VT but not Virginia? How could we get pressure vs VT but not Virginia? We just play with a whole lot more energy and focus when we are at good old Bobby Dodd. We have got to find a way to play better on the road if we want to be a ten win team again.

Anthony Simmons is going to be missed more than about anyone who wasn't a starter. He has been half our pass rush as a sub for the last two years. He made two tackles in the 20s yesterday on kickoff coverage.

Maybe there is something to the notion that the rain had a lot to do with TaQuan's accuracy. The receiver admits to slowing down on the first GT play where it looked like TaQuan overthrew him. The two touchdown passes were on the money.

PJ says this in so many words about every other callin show. A few plays go your way or don't, and everyone thinks you're great or everything thinks you stink. Twice the Virginia QB throws perfect long balls to a big receiver and he makes the catch. VT throws it to a big receiver but where Ajani can get a hand on it. One week we are furious at the coaching staff and the next we think they are brilliant.

I think with such a small sample size (the entire football season is a small sample size), the home/away thing can be a bit overblown. Who you play has a lot more to do with the results than where you play. UVA and Clemson shut us down (Clemson entirely, UVA for the most part outside of some big plays) at home last year as well. Miami is a legit top 10 team that we drew on the road.

As an aside, people always talk about Bud Foster and Brent Venables, among a few others, who have done a good job defending PJ's O. Bronco Mendenhall doesn't usually get lumped in to that group but he does worry me considering the results these past two years at UVA, as well as our history going against him at BYU.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Leftovers:

same reason we do better in even years than odd years

Disadvantages odd years have:
Clemson/Miami is always a lean to a L, and being on the road for both hurts.
VT/GT is always close, so location isnt as important
We play teams we should beat (Duke, UVA) on the road and teams we could beat on the road (Pitt, UNC) at home.

Even years have all the stars align that gives our schedule the greatest advantage.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
chop block call was a joke. compare that to the other calls they made in the game. VT pass completion for first down late in game. total offensive PI. I can't believe the tacky tack stuff they call and then the blatant stuff they let go.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It was a high low by the letter of the rule book, but I don't think that would have been called on 90% of other teams. It's like holding or OPI, it usually has to be blatant for it to get called. Coaches campaign officials to try and get even minor things like that called. Our OT was on the ground and was clearly not making a block on their DL.

Speaking of holding, have we drawn a single holding call this season? I’m getting tired of watching our DEs get tackled trying to turn the corner with no flags hitting the field.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Speaking of holding, have we drawn a single holding call this season? I’m getting tired of watching our DEs get tackled trying to turn the corner with no flags hitting the field.
I think this is a coaching thing. Gotta do something different. Our linemen should flop on the ground, freak out, holler at the refs, something, anything than what we have been doing. Just like they emphasize certain calls each year, I think across the board in college football there's been a de-emphasis on offensive holding. I don't think it's been intentional per se, just how it's been this year.

At the same time, we don't help ourselves because we aren't violent enough to beat blocks. Just gotta man up and fight through it better.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
For that to be legit would require both a high and low combination block. The DT was engaged only high. What made it bogus was the LB defeating the low block by Ivemeyer and rolling him into the DT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am concerned that our A backs are not involved in the offense as much this year. Lynch has all but disappeared. TM keeps it more on the edge rather than making the pitch. He has a lot of TD's this year so hard to criticize too much. That 2 pt play against UT still haunts me.
JT was a much better passer so safeties stayed back. Because of that we had more room on the outside.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
chop block call was a joke. compare that to the other calls they made in the game. VT pass completion for first down late in game. total offensive PI. I can't believe the tacky tack stuff they call and then the blatant stuff they let go.
Refs won't call OPI on a push-off these days, especially in a close-and-late situation. Everyone knows that, and our 5'9" DBs sure ought to know that by now.