Virginia Tech postgame discussion

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I made the trip down from Virginia for this glorious WIN!! Through a fortuitous coincidence, my seats were right behind the ONE and ONLY @Supersizethatorder-mutt. What a pleasure to meet him. Just a great day on the Flats!!
Go Jackets!! BTW.... as we were saying our goodbyes, Supersize predicted (correctly) the War Damn Eagles would turn what was a great day at that into that PERFECT day!! Well-played, Friend!

I made the trip down from Virginia for this glorious WIN!! Through a fortuitous coincidence, my seats were right behind the ONE and ONLY @Supersizethatorder-mutt. What a pleasure to meet him. Just a great day on the Flats!!
Go Jackets!! BTW.... as we were saying our goodbyes, Supersize predicted (correctly) the War Damn Eagles would turn what was a great day at that into that PERFECT day!! Well-played, Friend!
:D:D:D:D:D

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Aye Supers, before you tear your shoulder outta the socket patting yourself on the back, some of us called this weeks ago. ;)

Lemme get this straight cfb "eggsperts", UGA is great 'cause they beat ND on the road and ND is great 'cause they kept it close against UGA. Well, if they're both frauds, ummmm ...

#UGAFrauds #NDFrauds

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Aye Supers, before you tear your shoulder outta the socket patting yourself on the back, some of us called this weeks ago. ;)

Lemme get this straight cfb "eggsperts", UGA is great 'cause they beat ND on the road and ND is great 'cause they kept it close against UGA. Well, if they're both frauds, ummmm ...

#UGAFrauds #NDFrauds
Soooo..... Miami stomped ND .... Miami got lucky bounce, and proceeded to barely beat us... UGA scrapped by AND... Thus we should beat the mutts handily. Oh only if the rules of math worked in football [emoji16]

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My random thoughts ...
*Man did we miss Brant Mitchell
*I wish Brandon Adams would get more snaps
*I wish Q. Searcy would get more snaps
*Our DB's need to slap the ball down ... not up
*Stroking that 80 yd TD pass after the int will serve TM well in his continuing development as a QB

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fall and football
A great football day for all w gt late win and uga beatdown.
Added
1. After game to warm up wife and I hit coffee bar at the Hampton . We met 3 former(64-68? Ish) gt players who were also having with wives. They were obviously friends for life with gt football being a big part of that. I went to tech in that ti.e frame so we shared some common friends . Great story - one of the guys made a partial tackle on the end zone statue of liberty play that sent for touchdown. The partial tackle was featured on many highlite films of his tackle since he pulled the pants half off of the runner. His buddies laughed and said how many phone calls did u get when they showed your "tackle"! Also the rb that lenny snow beat out confirmed that lenny cut so strongly his cuts ripped the grass. His team mate said he planted both feer duri ng cut and that gave him extra force to break tackles.
2. After warm up was blessed to attend a tailgate of gt o line families. Guys and some of their girlfriends showed up. After the o l guys devoured the food, the young folks gathered as friends around a portable fire pit.
3. And a final bleszing - my son sent me a picture of a pre game players reunion tradition he has started at his h s. Old guys came back to inspire the players to win district .

IMG_3651.JPG

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Could we not just KO out of bounds around the 20 and give the other team the ball on the 35 from the penalty? This would reduce the need to send down the cardiac return defense . . . more predictable for the defense.
Yes, why? or why can't we kick it to someone other than the other team's best returner? I saw the adjustment on one of the kickoffs to move the ball and the defender just moved over a few yards and we kicked it straight to him. It's so exciting when we score and then I get a sick feeling knowing we have to kick it and have no ability to cover the KO! Kick it the ground, pooch kick it, kick it out of bounds, SOMETHING since we clearly can't tackle! Saturday there was a kid about 8 years old behind me yelling "kick it out of bounds!" and I thought, hey, if an 8 year old gets it, why can't we?

Still, great game, and I enjoyed the win! Happy to see A-backs more in the game. Happy Stewart caught a big one!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I wish everyone would read this....haveva good laugh at hokie stupidity....and try their damndest not to emulate them ever again. I know I'm asking too much...kinda like asking our fans to make noise for the D on 1st and 2nd down as well as 3rd (which they manage occasionally to do.)
Tennessee does that dumb Shiite with their 3rd Down For What song over the intercom :vomit:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am concerned that our A backs are not involved in the offense as much this year. Lynch has all but disappeared. TM keeps it more on the edge rather than making the pitch. He has a lot of TD's this year so hard to criticize too much. That 2 pt play against UT still haunts me.

Well we ran the same play, in about the same spot, to perfection vs VT....hope that helps.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is a question (again) for the gurus. To my untrained eye, TM takes an angle to the sideline that is too wide. It seems that he and the Aback are within a couple of steps of each other near the sideline and therefore - A) the pitch isn't there and B) it allows one defender to cover our QB AND our A back. Is this correct...or are the D's scheming to get more guys to the outside. I share your concern.

I think it's more a situation that he occasionally fails to attack the pitch option as aggressively as he should and let's that key slow play him.

-caveat.....I'm no guru....*calling Stylee or Steebu* your assistance is requested.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Well we ran the same play, in about the same spot, to perfection vs VT....hope that helps.
Was that the 2 pt conversion that we were penalized? Was Benson the pitch man? I remembered thinking Tennessee on that play. I think that was the one. It's all a blur when you're watching in real time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Was that the 2 pt conversion that we were penalized? Was Benson the pitch man? I remembered thinking Tennessee on that play. I think that was the one. It's all a blur when you're watching in real time.

I gotta go back and look again but I think so. So to be precise, the play wasn't run to perfection but TM played it well himself.

I need to watch replay of UVA (missed it due to blackout) and VT (seeing it in stadium I always miss a ton of stuff)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
VT throws it to a big receiver but where Ajani can get a hand on it. One week we are furious at the coaching staff and the next we think they are brilliant.
We got 4 hands on it on the play that bounced off a helmet right to the receiver for a first down. Football is funny. When it bounces your way, it's fun. When it doesn't... well, you know...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, why? or why can't we kick it to someone other than the other team's best returner? I saw the adjustment on one of the kickoffs to move the ball and the defender just moved over a few yards and we kicked it straight to him. It's so exciting when we score and then I get a sick feeling knowing we have to kick it and have no ability to cover the KO! Kick it the ground, pooch kick it, kick it out of bounds, SOMETHING since we clearly can't tackle! Saturday there was a kid about 8 years old behind me yelling "kick it out of bounds!" and I thought, hey, if an 8 year old gets it, why can't we?

Still, great game, and I enjoyed the win! Happy to see A-backs more in the game. Happy Stewart caught a big one!
We only had one bad kick cover Saturday. We had 4 good ones.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@dressedcheeseside

Yeah but a single awful coverage play can make for a very bad day. We can't afford to give up a single big return against anyone. And we let other teams start with way too good field position too often. But yes, some of the coverage plays were pretty darn good. We just gotta do that consistently.