Ted Roof earns redemption!

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll wait and see the bowl game, but I think our defensive performances against VT, UVA and UGA were probably enough to give him one more year, considering the recruits he has coming in. However, next year the D needs to make significant strides.

The D held the mutts to FGs and found a way to make a play when we needed them though. This was a team win. The D didn't give up. The O didn't give up. Searcy didn't give up. That was the difference in the ball game.
I agree, however; I have my doubts that we'll be improved. Time will tell. But, I think Roof plays too timid and conservative, for a defense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes I do understand. I also know we have undersized DL playing out of position. We have 3 legit interior DL and those guys are RSFR, SO, FR. LB's are young and inexperienced. Popular opinion is that are DB's are short and slow. Where is this so called talent that is not being used correctly. It doesn't matter if you shoot the gap or go straight at your man. When our DL engaged their OL they got pushed in what ever direction the OL wanted to push him. We won today because Kirby is not smart. We won today because the d gave up FG's instead of TD"s. We won today because we had offensive players make enough plays to break their hearts. We finally stole one from them rather than getting robbed. Tech out coached ugag for once.
I agree 100 percent with everything you just said but the fact that it doesn't matter if you shoot gaps or not. Shooting gaps allows the D line to hopefully not have to engage the OL as much which allows them to not be pushed back. It also allows them to have one assignment instead of two. I never said we had all this crazy talent, I'm simply saying when you are undersized, not as big, or strong that there are other schemes you can run other than a two- gap that can help your players succeed better.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree 100 percent with everything you just said but the fact that it doesn't matter if you shoot gaps or not. Shooting gaps allows the D line to hopefully not have to engage the OL as much which allows them to not be pushed back. It also allows them to have one assignment instead of two. I never said we had all this crazy talent, I'm simply saying when you are undersized, not as big, or strong that there are other schemes you can run other than a two- gap that can help your players succeed better.

You can play a single gap assignment while not shooting the gaps. I played this both in high school and college. What I have seen is our DL gets pushed backwards or washed down the line. Our D did just enough to win yesterday. Since Roof has been our DC, we are 2-2 vs the mutts.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You can play a single gap assignment while not shooting the gaps. I played this both in high school and college. What I have seen is our DL gets pushed backwards or washed down the line. Our D did just enough to win yesterday. Since Roof has been our DC, we are 2-2 vs the mutts.
I get that, and imo we should shoot gaps. And I understand we did enough to win, but look at when we played good offenses, we have had a lot scored on us, and we cant expect to consistantly win those type of games getting pushed around at the los and history has shown we don't always win those close games that are high scoring. I want to be a consistent 9 to 10 regular season win team, and most years our offense is good enough to give us that, so something needs to change on our D. People say well we did enough to win and it's true but what about the times they didn't? We are awful on 3rd down, turnover ratio, ypp, ppd. These are all things that will eventually cause you to lose games is the only point I'm trying to make, but some people on here want to ignore these facts and I guess are pleased with the average 7 or 8 win seasons. Take the Pitt game, they scored over and over and over again on us, with a better D we shouldn't have even been in the position for our offense to go for it on that 4th down. The only difference in the Pitt game and UGA game was UGA wasnt as good offensively, if it would have been Pitt we were playing, and with the way the D got pushed around Pitt probably would have scored more.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that, and imo we should shoot gaps. And I understand we did enough to win, but look at when we played good offenses, we have had a lot scored on us, and we cant expect to consistantly win those type of games getting pushed around at the los and history has shown we don't always win those close games that are high scoring. I want to be a consistent 9 to 10 regular season win team, and most years our offense is good enough to give us that, so something needs to change on our D. People say well we did enough to win and it's true but what about the times they didn't? We are awful on 3rd down, turnover ratio, ypp, ppd. These are all things that will eventually cause you to lose games is the only point I'm trying to make, but some people on here want to ignore these facts and I guess are pleased with the average 7 or 8 win seasons. Take the Pitt game, they scored over and over and over again on us, with a better D we shouldn't have even been in the position for our offense to go for it on that 4th down. The only difference in the Pitt game and UGA game was UGA wasnt as good offensively, if it would have been Pitt we were playing, and with the way the D got pushed around Pitt probably would have scored more.

Agreed. I think we should definitely switch it up. Shoot gaps sometimes don't other times. Look at what Pitt has done on offense recently. There are a lot of teams in the ACC with high powered offenses. You don't see many shutouts. I'm not saying we were awesome on defense but sometimes all you need to do is just enough to win. Ypp for roofs defense isn't the biggest indicator it's the ppd. Give up yards between the 20 and buckle down. This game played out just like the Pitt game last year. Next year is the year too make the case for letting Roof go. Our DL play has to get better.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I believe, as fans, we need to
- give more money
- buy more tickets
- make sure the coaches have what they need to recruit better S/As
- hold said coaches accountable when the above are achieved. Up to the coach as to what teaching, coaching, schemes they will use to win. There is a very simple way to see what is working or not.

When the head coach and staff start recruiting better players, you will get your wish. This year we did the best we could with what we had. You have a hard time making tasty chicken salad out of chicken dung. Is that simple enough for you 47?

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe, as fans, we need to
- give more money
- buy more tickets
- make sure the coaches have what they need to recruit better S/As
- hold said coaches accountable when the above are achieved. Up to the coach as to what teaching, coaching, schemes they will use to win. There is a very simple way to see what is working or not.
Well said. If we are to recruit better players we must help the coaches by providing the tools/support they need.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When the head coach and staff start recruiting better players, you will get your wish. This year we did the best we could with what we had. You have a hard time making tasty chicken salad out of chicken dung. Is that simple enough for you 47?
I really think you are being very disrespectful to Our Team when you talk like this. I understand you don't like CPJ but your dislike seems to have carried over to our players when you refer to them as "chicken dung". It has been less than 24 hours since we WON IN ATHENS! Please, just try to garner some small piece of satisfaction & enjoyment from that fact.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think you are being very disrespectful to Our Team when you talk like this. I understand you don't like CPJ but your dislike seems to have carried over to our players when you refer to them as "chicken dung". It has been less than 24 hours since we WON IN ATHENS! Please, just try to garner some small piece of satisfaction & enjoyment from that fact.

We definitely got players. They battled and never gave up. I've always said we need to improve some fundamentals but I can't get enough of the silence from all my uga friends. For that, I thank the team! It was a team victory. Offense struggled at times and so did the defense. But together they got the won the game.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't like to disrespect any player specifically but you are right on up state. The only kid we have on D who would play at UGA is 15 maybe. 47 doesn't understand scheme obviously. We've done everything scheme wise to try to overcome our short comings in personnel. We probably have done better playing base read and react than anything but we've stunted and blitzed in every type of configuration and used every coverage known to man.

If we want to hold our coaches accountable to the standard of other schools then we gave to make it easier to recruit here. Level the field so to speak.

It's easier to be competitive with lesser talent on offense because of the spread bone. That's why I love CPJ. Defense on the other hand there is nowhere to hide.

The way recruiting and requirements are at Tech makes consistency of staff the most important part of being consistently successful.

The players in this program although not as talented play with great effort and never give up. This is a credit to them and our staff.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know defense. It does look like GT has a basic hit the guy in front of you and react to the play. This may be due to forming the scheme to our players(LB in particular). If this is two gap, we fired the last guy for running two gap. The last guy also tried to teach the "war and peace" volume of defense.

I don't know, but a mix of read/react and shoot the gap would add some deminsion to the D. Shooting gaps has a down side too, but is likely to cause a negative yard play.

We play the best when there is a mixture of gamble and conservative.

I do believe this... We have better players than our ppd allowed and 3rd down conversion stats.

Keep it (no simple) learnable, make it varied, and reputation. Make the O guess what you are doing.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know defense. It does look like GT has a basic hit the guy in front of you and react to the play. This may be due to forming the scheme to our players(LB in particular). If this is two gap, we fired the last guy for running two gap. The last guy also tried to teach the "war and peace" volume of defense.

I don't know, but a mix of read/react and shoot the gap would add some deminsion to the D. Shooting gaps has a down side too, but is likely to cause a negative yard play.

We play the best when there is a mixture of gamble and conservative.

I do believe this... We have better players than our ppd allowed and 3rd down conversion stats.

Keep it (no simple) learnable, make it varied, and reputation. Make the O guess what you are doing.
I don't believe they played any two gap. They did play gap control which is the easier of the two. They did do a lot of "shooting gaps" as some are calling it. They ran lbers through gaps etc all playing gap control. Believe me they tried everything. It's a tribute to our staff and the effort of our players that we were able to do as well as we did. If we had war daddys walking around like UGA we'd be much better I guarantee.

I don't like to disrespect any player specifically but you are right on up state. The only kid we have on D who would play at UGA is 15 maybe. 47 doesn't understand scheme obviously. We've done everything scheme wise to try to overcome our short comings in personnel. We probably have done better playing base read and react than anything but we've stunted and blitzed in every type of configuration and used every coverage known to man.

If we want to hold our coaches accountable to the standard of other schools then we gave to make it easier to recruit here. Level the field so to speak.

It's easier to be competitive with lesser talent on offense because of the spread bone. That's why I love CPJ. Defense on the other hand there is nowhere to hide.

The way recruiting and requirements are at Tech makes consistency of staff the most important part of being consistently successful.

The players in this program although not as talented play with great effort and never give up. This is a credit to them and our staff.
Metaphor, man. Color it how you want. Not a shot at anyone. Glanton and Cerge are being asked to do things they physically can't right now. We shouldn't be having to ask FR DL that is not ready to make a contribution this year. The DB's have played as well as they can being they have to chase too long because of a weak pass rush. We have DE's the size of LB's. I apologize if the chicken dung comment offended you. I'll buy you some playdough.

My feelings for Paul Johnson have nothing to with my comments. I am proud how he handled yesterday. He had the team ready in every way possible. The members of the football team are amateurs and students, but the way they get treated is going to be different. They know this comes with the territory. I'm not singling out any player. Out of the 85 players on scholarship the majority of the talent is either FR or RSFR and soph. I was defending the coaches.

Jmonty71

Banned
If you take the last 4 years. Weigh the good games vs. The bad games. Which one Wins?

To me. We have slightly more bad games, than good. Most games the D plays slightly below average. If I had to grade, from 0 to 100, over the last 4 years, I'd give us a 65. Percentage wise. 25% games the D is bad. 20% games are good. The remainder is just under average. Averaging it out comes to 65, to me.

What's your grade, for the last 4 years? Be honest....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Do you think that we don't recruit "better players"? Do you know that CPJ offered a scholly to Deshaun Watson (yes, the gut at Clemson) after his sophomore year in high school?
Just because we recruit a player doesn't mean that we land the player.