Ted Roof earns redemption!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting as defined as creating relationship.

WE ARE 6-15 AGAINST uga . There is no gt stuff (as compared to ugad and creminoles) for sale in Statesboro or columbus sports shop . WE HAVE NO BUZZ

Best dollar spent is to start recruiting wider area .

In past
We recruited within 200 miles of campus and Tampa and spotty up north.

I tried to get Todd spencer to recruit east Texas where son coaches. By way he turned a perinial celled dweller 2A team into winning first playoff game. They lost but got to avoid a team w 2 300 DT (both sure d1 ) that have not been scored upon in 6 games. The closest colleges are 200 miles away. This weekend they (Tenaha plays Brehmon for championship. Breton on has a 40 plus winning streak which this year has been propelled by a super athletic qb.

Son says that none of the kids in deep east texas want to go to college and move back. Most long to live in big city.

Recently we made some progress by adding cal and Louisiana (I 10).

Open up $$and recruit in wider area!
Most on this site underestimate how Gt will sell it self to kids around the nation.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
We've had success in Louisiana before. Gathers, Dorsey and Watkins come to mind. We've gotten players from there the past few classes along with the Swillings next year. Hopefully we can begin recruiting harder there along with the suburbs of Houston.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys are ridiculous. Would some of you guys rush to "redeem" him every time the defense doesn't completely **** the bed if he didn't play for Georgia Tech? Seems like a pretty low bar to me.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys are ridiculous. Would some of you guys rush to "redeem" him every time the defense doesn't completely **** the bed if he didn't play for Georgia Tech? Seems like a pretty low bar to me.
Don't sweat it, for the most part it's people that either have their vision clouded by the fact roof played for us, or they just don't understand football at a high level imo.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don't sweat it, for the most part it's people that either have their vision clouded by the fact roof played for us, or they just don't understand football at a high level imo.

Yeah. Or maybe they just don't agree with your every point. I am not a fan of delegitimizing opposing viewpoints. Some people just don't see it the same way. It makes them no less wrong than they think you are. Personally, I am kind of in the middle. I am not happy with the D, I just think that giving CTR this last year to recruit and develop talent is the best path forward.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. Or maybe they just don't agree with your every point. I am not a fan of delegitimizing opposing viewpoints. Some people just don't see it the same way. It makes them no less wrong than they think you are. Personally, I am kind of in the middle. I am not happy with the D, I just think that giving CTR this last year to recruit and develop talent is the best path forward.
I'm only talking about those who have bashed me for my opinion when I have clearly said many times I have an opinion just like they do and neither is wrong. You can go back and read all my comments if you'd like, and you will see what I'm taking about. It's just my OPINION they don't know what they are talking about though lol :p

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm only talking about those who have bashed me for my opinion when I have clearly said many times I have an opinion just like they do and neither is wrong. You can go back and read all my comments if you'd like, and you will see what I'm taking about. It's just my OPINION they don't know what they are talking about though lol :p

You can keep bashing Roof all you want, it's become your agenda actually. But you and your crowd won't even acknowledge the personnel we have on this roster. They're not elite. I'm sorry if that rubs your little contingency the wrong way but come on dude, take the hate shades off.

We didn't get push for most of the year and we start 2 linebackers that shouldn't be on the field at Tech. Buddy Ryan couldn't fix this situation and you refuse to acknowledge that...that is why you've lost all credibility within the Swarm crowd.

Look at our recruiting classes. It's such an obvious element to just ignore to try to slander a coach.

The Anti-Roof crowd should be placed in another thread, such as off topic, and let those 5 posters go nuts blasting the regime.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
You can keep bashing Roof all you want, it's become your agenda actually. But you and your crowd won't even acknowledge the personnel we have on this roster. They're not elite. I'm sorry if that rubs your little contingency the wrong way but come on dude, take the hate shades off.

We didn't get push for most of the year and we start 2 linebackers that shouldn't be on the field at Tech. Buddy Ryan couldn't fix this situation and you refuse to acknowledge that...that is why you've lost all credibility within the Swarm crowd.

Look at our recruiting classes. It's such an obvious element to just ignore to try to slander a coach.

The Anti-Roof crowd should be placed in another thread, such as off topic, and let those 5 posters go nuts blasting the regime.
Great post.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting as defined as creating relationship.

WE ARE 6-15 AGAINST uga . There is no gt stuff (as compared to ugad and creminoles) for sale in Statesboro or columbus sports shop . WE HAVE NO BUZZ

Best dollar spent is to start recruiting wider area .

In past
We recruited within 200 miles of campus and Tampa and spotty up north.

I tried to get Todd spencer to recruit east Texas where son coaches. By way he turned a perinial celled dweller 2A team into winning first playoff game. They lost but got to avoid a team w 2 300 DT (both sure d1 ) that have not been scored upon in 6 games. The closest colleges are 200 miles away. This weekend they (Tenaha plays Brehmon for championship. Breton on has a 40 plus winning streak which this year has been propelled by a super athletic qb.

Son says that none of the kids in deep east texas want to go to college and move back. Most long to live in big city.

Recently we made some progress by adding cal and Louisiana (I 10).

Open up $$and recruit in wider area!
Most on this site underestimate how Gt will sell it self to kids around the nation.
Texas is loaded with talent. We have a back a Montgomery 6A who I believe would be a great A back. Lots of speed, tough, hangs on to the ball. School is an excellent academic school and I understand he is a great kid also. I think he has one more year to play. BUT The Woodlands north of Houston is loaded with talent. their defensive speed at line backer seems to me to be really fast. Their QB put on the most amazing show against us. He leads receivers perfectly ( at least against us ) I don't recall a miss. 3 or 4 good fast receivers also. Metro Houston, is loaded with talent and excellent schools.

I would be glad as an Alumni to be used to contact coaches of kids and get first evaluations but that can be done from anywhere via phone.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to see one year of Roof with Clemson like athletes. That would settle the argument once and for all.

Well.... no it wouldn't. Pat Nix's offense would look great with Alabama's offensive line. Does that make him a good offensive coordinator for Georgia Tech?

If you can't win here with the student-athletes you can get to play here, it doesn't matter what you could do with the mythical Clemson/GT hybrid.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Great post.

Gentlemen, I appreciate your consistency in making this or similar posts about our D not having a player who would start for georgie's D etc. While I don't concede the point about georgie's D, I think it's important to once again clarify the opposing side of the argument.

I want to focus on this part of the quote: "But you and your crowd won't even acknowledge the personnel we have on this roster. They're not elite."

I think that this reflects the point y'all are failing to appreciate. The complaints about Roof do not arise because our defense isn't elite. They arise because our defense hasn't been average. If you want to press your point, then rather than saying, "They're not elite," about our players on D, say, "They're below average." Rather than saying, "We don't have a player who would start for georgie," say, "We don't have a player who would start for Duke."

Now, if you say that, then you will be countering the complaints against Roof. If you don't, then you're just knocking down a straw man because nobody's complaining because we're not elite or even top 25 D.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Roof deserves criticism. He needs to do a better job IMO. The haters have straw men of their own.

Our D was subpar this year. The front 7 had huge weaknesses. That is hard to scheme around but that's what he gets paid for.

I don't know why this reasonable viewpoint gets drowned.

1) He's not coaching elite talent, which makes it harder to get results
2) He still needs to get better results than he has been getting

THESE ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE, PEOPLE

We can argue about whether 2 is doable, but can we stop acting like the "other side" is full of blithering idiots who can't figure out how to use a urinal?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

We can argue about whether 2 is doable, but can we stop acting like the "other side" is full of blithering idiots who can't figure out how to use a urinal?

Yeah, I agree. You can't just say we're bad because we don't have talent but then be OK with a scheme that does poorly in that scenario. I've said before that I don't think we have the athletes right now to rush four and play soft at the second and third levels. It happened in the game on Saturday and I about pulled my hair out (3rd and 12 in the first half, I think).

Gotta get better on D if we want to be good next year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Where have a bashed roof? Please don't ignore this question. And I have acknowledged our talent level that's why I say we should change the scheme to better fit the players we do have. If our scheme isn't working why not change it. It's funny you take this as bashing roof but I have repeatedly said I like him I just don't feel he is playing to our players strengths, so how is that bashing him? Learn to read my post and take them for what they actually say not what you think I'm saying. Are we not allowed to have opinions?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

CPJ seems to do pretty well with our offensive talent that's not as highly regarded as the defensive talent we sign. I'm too lazy to look, but I did a check a while back of the average stars recruited on the offensive side versus the defensive side. We have been signing more highly regarded SAs on the defensive side of the ball.

Now, I understand that GT has some recruiting hurdles (though CPJ doing VERY well on offense seems neutralize the the talent argument), and Ted isn't playing with all of "his guys" (though we're now in our 3rd year of the Roof tenure), but as of 11/28, GT's Defensive FEI is 102. There's only 26 other teams in the entirety of FBS football who did worse than us.

No one is arguing Roof should have an elite defense. Let's just start with an average defense, shall we? How about one ranked in the top 60 FEI defenses? Let's shoot for that in 2017.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see one year of Roof with Clemson like athletes. That would settle the argument once and for all.
People think I'm bashing roof but I have said that if he had better talent his scheme would work perfectly fine, and that he can coach. Idk where people think I'm bashing and hating on him because I have an opinion that we should run a different scheme.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's offense allows him to recruit some players that are not "elite" (curious word) but who are in fact "elite" in his offense.
The defenses, all that have been run for the last 50 or so years at GT, do not allow the luxury of signing players that are
"elite" to a unique system. Before you scream, yeah there have been a few years here and there with very good defensive play.
Exceptions to the year in year out run poor defenses at GT over the period.

(Grant Field. Black Watch. Bo Jackson. One of greatest college football games ever played. Defense was great. Bo Jackson was great, and won.)

I do not expect any changes to the coaching staff anytime soon. CPJ believes in continuity (so he says) and has just finished praising the staff
for their work this season.