Ted Roof earns redemption!

Jmonty71

Banned
Yes they depend on each other. Yes we need to be able to sustain drives. I haven't blamed the D except when blame is due, like UNC game. I said earlier in this thread the D played better than the O vs UVA. Also vs VPI.
I pick apart the D... Mainly because I see all the wrong stuff going on. However; there has been an improvement lately. Will it continue? We'll see. If we beat UGA, I expect to move up a little in the bowl placement. So, right now. We are either Sun Bowl or Military Bowl. I think that is about the limit of our bowl invitation.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
One thing I noticed against UVA: Defensive player rotation was probably the heaviest it's been all year.

Saw a 3 deep rotation on the DL...even #99 Branch got a lot of snaps.

Vicious Alexander saw a lot of snaps.

Outside of special teams (where he's becoming VERY good at being one of the first to the ball), still didn't see Terrell Lewis. Still trying to figure out why he's not seeing more snaps. Need more size and speed at LB, and he's the only one with that combo right now.

Tech,
A PERFECT example of why he isn't playing was the 15 yder he got for hitting the PR. He is not under control at LB also.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Ted got the most out of our players. He also brought that credibility and fire that only a man that has actually been in the arena, under that fire, can bring. A Tech man leading Tech men. Congratulations Coach Roof and to all the Yellow Jackets past and present.

Go Jackets!
He did what he had to do. I love CTR and I think we'll only get better as we go along.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Please not another one of these thread, especially if your not going to look at the whole picture about our D not being good at all. We played decent against crap offense and yet still allowed them better on their ppd, and then played like crap against good offenses.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our D is neither as bad as some would say nor as good as others would argue. It had it's moments both good and bad. Overall, my impression is that we had a very mediocre D that was made worse by inconsistent offensive performance. The explosive drives, while great, put the D back on the field too quickly. I will make my decision on CTR after next year. If he can't get significant improvement with a full class of his players then it's on him. That's what I have been arguing all season and I'm sticking with it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I keep bringing up Ted Roof is to point out to his critics that the old boy keep's winning with what he has got. Some of you are quick to criticize and slow to praise. If he were as bad as many make him out to be, there is no way we would be an 8 win 4 loss team with a bowl game awaiting. Just get off his butt and know that it takes all 3 phases of the game to play well to win. Stat's are one thing but the scoreboard is the main thing. Look around our defense is as good as most at the end of the day.

Go Jackets!

Our D is neither as bad as some would say nor as good as others would argue. It had it's moments both good and bad. Overall, my impression is that we had a very mediocre D that was made worse by inconsistent offensive performance. The explosive drives, while great, put the D back on the field too quickly. I will make my decision on CTR after next year. If he can't get significant improvement with a full class of his players then it's on him. That's what I have been arguing all season and I'm sticking with it.
I am definitely willing to give him another year if, for no other reason, just to get those recruits in ... like the Swillings

ugag didn't have to pass one time today to win this game. ugag's OL was blowing up our DL most of the day. That has nothing to do with coaching. Our LB's over playing, running out of control is not the coaches fault. I'm confident the coaches teach gap and lane integrity. Just like when Jet and the AB's lose their spacing running the outside pitch. That is not how Paul coaches his option. At some point the players can or can't execute what needs to be done to make plays. Seeing Kallion, Gamble, Cerge being pushed 4 yds down field is just getting whipped. Scheme can't stop that from happening. Great win and under normal circumstances we don't win this game. Kirby got out coached.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I keep bringing up Ted Roof is to point out to his critics that the old boy keep's winning with what he has got. Some of you are quick to criticize and slow to praise. If he were as bad as many make him out to be, there is no way we would be an 8 win 4 loss team with a bowl game awaiting. Just get off his butt and know that it takes all 3 phases of the game to play well to win. Stat's are one thing but the scoreboard is the main thing. Look around our defense is as good as most at the end of the day.

Go Jackets!
I guess, if you honestly think it was our D who won our games over the offense. Where do you get that our D is good? We give up more ppd than teams normally get against other D's. Our ypp are awful, turnover ratio is awful. I understand we have stopped teams when needed but do you really expect that to happen all the time when we play bad in so many areas on D? We can't get off the field and that hurts our offense in a big way, and this isn't just me talking it's our head coach saying this (not getting of the field). When we play awful offenses we play OK and when we play good offenses we play AWFUL. I would much rather play good against bad offenses and just decent against good offenses. And you said that UGA didn't score enough to win but my argument is that they scored on 4 of 9 drives (not counting the 30 seconds they had before the end of the game and the one before half) that's almost 50 percent of the time they scored on us and thats even with a missed field goal, how is that good in your opinion? Our coaching staff is not even pleased with the way the D has played. Please answer the questions presented because you always ignore them and say look at the final score or whatever (which your right it's all that matters) but that doesn't mean a D is good because of that. If you give UGA 15 drives like they probably get when playing other offenses then they probably would have put up over 40 on us, is that good? You gotta look at efficiency when a team doesn't get the ball much over the score the D held them to. So I ask again please tell me what the D does well?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
ugag didn't have to pass one time today to win this game. ugag's OL was blowing up our DL most of the day. That has nothing to do with coaching. Our LB's over playing, running out of control is not the coaches fault. I'm confident the coaches teach gap and lane integrity. Just like when Jet and the AB's lose their spacing running the outside pitch. That is not how Paul coaches his option. At some point the players can or can't execute what needs to be done to make plays. Seeing Kallion, Gamble, Cerge being pushed 4 yds down field is just getting whipped. Scheme can't stop that from happening. Great win and under normal circumstances we don't win this game. Kirby got out coached.
When your DL is being owned because they play a simple scheme that is go straight into the OL with your hands and shed of blocks (when they are not good enough to do as shown almost all year) instead of shooting gaps, that is coaching. Scheme can stop you from being blown down field. I'm sorry but there are to many D's that we are just as talented as imo that play a different scheme and are way better than us. I like roof and I'm not doubting his knowledge of football and knowing how to coach it but I'm questioning his scheme. We are not Alabama where we can stand up the OL and shed off a block consistantly, so why are we trying that? I understand this is what roof runs as a D coordinator, and it's what he knows and if he had the guys to run this scheme he could do well with it, but if your guys can't do it then you need to change it even if it takes you learning a new scheme.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ted's Defensive scheme is not impressive but he needs players so the hope he can recruit the talent to makeup for his lackluster coaching ability.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What they do well is win. You worry about a lot of stuff that does not matter. What matters is winning. You have to look at all aspects of the game and the team. Getting 8 wins out of this group is a pretty damn good coaching job, no matter how you slice it.

Go Jackets!
Yet you still ignore my questions, how do you say it's them winning it over the offense? I understand it's a team sport and D, O, and special teams matter, but one of those three things can play bad and you still get a win. So when it comes to on the field play what do they do well? And also, do you expect all those "other things" to keep happening and you continue to win games? Did you miss the point about when we play good offenses how bad we are? I understand football pretty well and have backed up what I'm saying, but you have not done that one time showing what they do well. Sooner or latter bad things on D or O will come back and you won't get all the brakes. Do you also ignore the fact that the guys being payed (our coaches) are not even happy birthday it's what our D has done?