Ted Roof earns redemption!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Oh ok. I get what you are saying. It still should be a 1-gap system. If you are backside of the play it leaves you in a pickle with how to defeat your block and pursue. Do you cross face of the OL or try and get around in your assigned gap? We were taught crossing face. Doesn't mean the gap you were shaded on isn't your responsibility. My main concern in shooting gaps would be the DL getting washed out of the plays. I think we can agree the DL needs to perform at a higher level. After Gamble and Kallon we were young at DT. They need to get bigger and stronger in the offseason.
I agree you can get washed out with shooting gaps, and I don't think you should do it every time. You can even shoot gaps strong side and just maintain 1-gap on weak side and vise verse. We definitely need to get stronger on the D line. My argument to those saying we are doing the best with what we have is how do you know that? We don't seem to do much zone blitz or stunts. We aren't very exotic in our coverages, so if we were to do these things would it help makes us more effective? and Imo it would. I have nothing against roof, and I believe with different players his system would work. However I don't know if we will ever get those type of players. I'm of the belief we should be able to do more then what we are doing with what we have. There are plenty of defenses that we recruit on par with that have way better D's than us. Dan Quinn talked about playing to our players strengths when he first became the coach of the Falcons. That means changing things up if need be, and it just doesn't seem that we have done that. Once again this isn't me bashing roof for those who have accused me of doing so (with no proof). I just don't believe for one second that our talent level is what they are playing at, over 100th in D efficiency. People always want bring up how we have only given up a specific amount of points but only bring up the offenses that are not any good, but ignore what has happened when we have played good offenses or ignore the stats of ppd, ypp, 3rd down ect. I just wish we would try new things even if that means us changing up our scheme some, even if it's not what the coaching staff is use to, it's called adjusting to what best fits your players. Of course this is just my opinion and other might not agree with it, but MOST (not all) of the guys sticking up for our D are acting as if their OPINION is 100% right. Imo some of this stems from roof being our coach because he played here, and I'm not so sure if it was a random guy that didn't play for GT that they would get the same support.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree you can get washed out with shooting gaps, and I don't think you should do it every time. You can even shoot gaps strong side and just maintain 1-gap on weak side and vise verse. We definitely need to get stronger on the D line. My argument to those saying we are doing the best with what we have is how do you know that? We don't seem to do much zone blitz or stunts. We aren't very exotic in our coverages, so if we were to do these things would it help makes us more effective? and Imo it would. I have nothing against roof, and I believe with different players his system would work. However I don't know if we will ever get those type of players. I'm of the belief we should be able to do more then what we are doing with what we have. There are plenty of defenses that we recruit on par with that have way better D's than us. Dan Quinn talked about playing to our players strengths when he first became the coach of the Falcons. That means changing things up if need be, and it just doesn't seem that we have done that. Once again this isn't me bashing roof for those who have accused me of doing so (with no proof). I just don't believe for one second that our talent level is what they are playing at, over 100th in D efficiency. People always want bring up how we have only given up a specific amount of points but only bring up the offenses that are not any good, but ignore what has happened when we have played good offenses or ignore the stats of ppd, ypp, 3rd down ect. I just wish we would try new things even if that means us changing up our scheme some, even if it's not what the coaching staff is use to, it's called adjusting to what best fits your players. Of course this is just my opinion and other might not agree with it, but MOST (not all) of the guys sticking up for our D are acting as if their OPINION is 100% right. Imo some of this stems from roof being our coach because he played here, and I'm not so sure if it was a random guy that didn't play for GT that they would get the same support.

In his previous years Roof has produced our highest DFEI since CPJ has been here. The other years were ranked higher than a majority of the other years. It just leaves this year as being an anomaly or was he just lucky the previous years. Tenuta's last year we were ranked 70 on d efficiency. Next year will be the year I fully judge Roof. It's his players by then and with his recruiting he has built up the depth. We will see if Roof with his recruiting and coaching has either fixed our defensive issues or magnified them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
In his previous years Roof has produced our highest DFEI since CPJ has been here. The other years were ranked higher than a majority of the other years. It just leaves this year as being an anomaly or was he just lucky the previous years. Tenuta's last year we were ranked 70 on d efficiency. Next year will be the year I fully judge Roof. It's his players by then and with his recruiting he has built up the depth. We will see if Roof with his recruiting and coaching has either fixed our defensive issues or magnified them.
I get this, but you can use the excuse that his best years under GT were with guys he didn't recruit. Now, I do believe the recruiting on D has gotten better, but you still have to ask the question of why the D was so bad in DFEI. My main thing is playing to players strengths and evolving your style of play if that's what it takes and you don't have the players to run what you want.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I get this, but you can use the excuse that his best years under GT were with guys he didn't recruit. Now, I do believe the recruiting on D has gotten better, but you still have to ask the question of why the D was so bad in DFEI. My main thing is playing to players strengths and evolving your style of play if that's what it takes and you don't have the players to run what you want.

That all sounds wonderful. It's also just blowing smoke when you look at film and see a mediocre uga Oline knocking our guys 3 yds off the ball at the los. No play call or scheme is gonna cancel getting physically manhandled. About all a DC can do is overcompensate for that weakness by bringing numbers and neglecting other facets of the D.

To our guys credit. They fought through and made just enough plays. I also think the play calls by and large gave our guys the best chance to make those plays. UGA failed to make us pay for overplaying their run game and I think the game Roof called played a large part in that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That all sounds wonderful. It's also just blowing smoke when you look at film and see a mediocre uga Oline knocking our guys 3 yds off the ball at the los. No play call or scheme is gonna cancel getting physically manhandled. About all a DC can do is overcompensate for that weakness by bringing numbers and neglecting other facets of the D.

To our guys credit. They fought through and made just enough plays. I also think the play calls by and large gave our guys the best chance to make those plays. UGA failed to make us pay for overplaying their run game and I think the game Roof called played a large part in that.
When you get more exotic with coverages and blitz it helps offset things. It can also confuse the OL on their blocking assignment, you can move and switch your allinment up before the ball is snapped which can cause trouble with the OL, so I will just have to respectfully dissagree that changing a scheme can't help with that. There are many teams that do this type of stuff and confuse/cause trouble with offenses because of it.