Ted Roof earns redemption!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ted's Defensive scheme is not impressive but he needs players so the hope he can recruit the talent to makeup for his lackluster coaching ability.
I agree he needs players, but imo a good coach can adjust and change his scheme up if need be, that's park of football. Playing to the strengths of your guys is what we need to do on D unroll we get those guys.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree I just don't think he's competent at that.
I'm honestly not sure, I think people think I don't like him, but it's not the case. I think he is a good coach when he has those type of players for this scheme, and I like him. I just don't agree with his scheme for what GT has.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm honestly not sure, I think people think I don't like him, but it's not the case. I think he is a good coach when he has those type of players for this scheme, and I like him. I just don't agree with his scheme for what GT has.

The only top D Roof has coached was the one he inherited at Penn St.
I just dont think he's competent. Just hope he brings the talent.

I guess, if you honestly think it was our D who won our games over the offense. Where do you get that our D is good? We give up more ppd than teams normally get against other D's. Our ypp are awful, turnover ratio is awful. I understand we have stopped teams when needed but do you really expect that to happen all the time when we play bad in so many areas on D? We can't get off the field and that hurts our offense in a big way, and this isn't just me talking it's our head coach saying this (not getting of the field). When we play awful offenses we play OK and when we play good offenses we play AWFUL. I would much rather play good against bad offenses and just decent against good offenses. And you said that UGA didn't score enough to win but my argument is that they scored on 4 of 9 drives (not counting the 30 seconds they had before the end of the game and the one before half) that's almost 50 percent of the time they scored on us and thats even with a missed field goal, how is that good in your opinion? Our coaching staff is not even pleased with the way the D has played. Please answer the questions presented because you always ignore them and say look at the final score or whatever (which your right it's all that matters) but that doesn't mean a D is good because of that. If you give UGA 15 drives like they probably get when playing other offenses then they probably would have put up over 40 on us, is that good? You gotta look at efficiency when a team doesn't get the ball much over the score the D held them to. So I ask again please tell me what the D does well?
How do you know what technique is being coached at practice? Are you one of the few outsiders that Paul lets in during practice. For all we know the players aren't doing what they are being coached to do. Is not fact that the Ted "dumb" down assignments for the defensive players so they could play faster and more instinctual the last few weeks? So exactly how do you really know what is being asked of our players?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
How do you know what technique is being coached at practice? Are you one of the few outsiders that Paul lets in during practice. For all we know the players aren't doing what they are being coached to do. Is not fact that the Ted "dumb" down assignments for the defensive players so they could play faster and more instinctual the last few weeks? So exactly how do you really know what is being asked of our players?
Are you really going to question whether roof coaches gap defense or not? I don't need to be at practice to see that lol, there's a huge difference in what we do and gap defense. And I like how you only bring that up but competely ignore everything else I said, does that mean you have no answers for everything else?

Yet you still ignore my questions, how do you say it's them winning it over the offense? I understand it's a team sport and D, O, and special teams matter, but one of those three things can play bad and you still get a win. So when it comes to on the field play what do they do well? And also, do you expect all those "other things" to keep happening and you continue to win games? Did you miss the point about when we play good offenses how bad we are? I understand football pretty well and have backed up what I'm saying, but you have not done that one time showing what they do well. Sooner or latter bad things on D or O will come back and you won't get all the brakes. Do you also ignore the fact that the guys being payed (our coaches) are not even happy birthday it's what our D has done?
Are you a coach? If yes, I suggest putting in your resume. You know what scheme works and what doesn't apparently? I'm sure your current form of employment is sufficient in getting you ready to coach 18-22 year old kids at a higher level than the Professional Coaches we have on staff today.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Are you a coach? If yes, I suggest putting in your resume. You know what scheme works and what doesn't apparently? I'm sure your current form of employment is sufficient in getting you ready to coach 18-22 year old kids at a higher level than the Professional Coaches we have on staff today.
What are you so worked up about? My opinion? It's really not that big of a deal. I understand different schemes in football and I understand it takes specific players to run specific schemes, and I'm sure if you were to ask a college coach they would tell you the same. Do you honestly think just because someone coaches at the college level they are a great coach or know it all? I have no doubt he's a good coach and I don't blame him for wanting to run his scheme, it's what he knows, but just because it's what he knows doesn't mean it can't be changed to better things or that it will work with the players we have. But once again this is just my opinion and it's really not worth getting upset about.

Are you really going to question whether roof coaches gap defense or not? I don't need to be at practice to see that lol, there's a huge difference in what we do and gap defense. And I like how you only bring that up but competely ignore everything else I said, does that mean you have no answers for everything else?
You are the one that seems to know what kind of scheme we run. I see Francis getting bull rushed because he lost leverage. I see Pat getting blasted by a bigger man than him and he not able to handle himself. I see Brandt over running plays ALL YEAR including today. I see Keshon getting put on his knees by bigger tackle. Is Ted calling the wrong type of blitzes? Is Pelton really teaching something that his kids can't do? Really, that is what you think. So you are so astute at football schemes and what we run vs other teams that you can tell that our players don't always do what they are coached, but are coached to fail. You are good?

Jmonty71

Banned
I liked that Roof called some run blitzes today. We had break downs in coverage it happens. The DL got pushed. Here's some positive points and some deltas.

1. We continue to have issues controlling the LOS. Delta
2. We were able to make Eason move and throw. Plus, for this game.
3. The offense bogged down all 3rd qtr. Ran too many slow developing plays. Giving little rest for the D. Delta
4. The D got pretty predictable. Very little changes in scheme and coverage. Delta.
5. The LB play was abysmal. Not sure if they were just out of position, but they looked lost, at points. Delta
6. The DB play was overall good. The DB need to understand situation vs. cushion given. Push....
7. We made plays when needed. Yes, Ugag dropped passes, yes the QB threw a bad pass, but.. the DL forced him to move. Eason is not a very mobile QB, so it led to an bad pass, which led to the INT.

Just some observations. Why Ugag stopped rushing? Beats me. Bad play calling? Either way, I'll take the win. As many gifts Ugag gave us, we gave them just as many, if not more.

Roof needs to teach gap control. Needs to get the DBs, LBs and DL working as a team. For instance, blitzing on 3rd and 7, should require bump and run. Not playing off the WR 10 yards. Too easy, at that point. Goes back to understanding the situation.

I agree with AJ. He has one year to get us ranked as a top 40 defense. If he can't, I'm sure there are other DCs that can. I'm not a fan of Roof, I think he plays timid and we see that on the field. But, he does have some good recruits coming in.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
When your DL is being owned because they play a simple scheme that is go straight into the OL with your hands and shed of blocks (when they are not good enough to do as shown almost all year) instead of shooting gaps, that is coaching. Scheme can stop you from being blown down field. I'm sorry but there are to many D's that we are just as talented as imo that play a different scheme and are way better than us. I like roof and I'm not doubting his knowledge of football and knowing how to coach it but I'm questioning his scheme. We are not Alabama where we can stand up the OL and shed off a block consistantly, so why are we trying that? I understand this is what roof runs as a D coordinator, and it's what he knows and if he had the guys to run this scheme he could do well with it, but if your guys can't do it then you need to change it even if it takes you learning a new scheme.

after reading your post i highly recommend that you apply for roof's job.

Jmonty71

Banned
When your DL is being owned because they play a simple scheme that is go straight into the OL with your hands and shed of blocks (when they are not good enough to do as shown almost all year) instead of shooting gaps, that is coaching. Scheme can stop you from being blown down field. I'm sorry but there are to many D's that we are just as talented as imo that play a different scheme and are way better than us. I like roof and I'm not doubting his knowledge of football and knowing how to coach it but I'm questioning his scheme. We are not Alabama where we can stand up the OL and shed off a block consistantly, so why are we trying that? I understand this is what roof runs as a D coordinator, and it's what he knows and if he had the guys to run this scheme he could do well with it, but if your guys can't do it then you need to change it even if it takes you learning a new scheme.
Pretty spot on. We are below average. I think our talent is better than what we show. We just fail to utilize that talent to its fullest potential. Simple adjustments could be made. Keep in mind, Roof runs a scheme created in the early 80s to combat west coast offenses. Which is why we struggle against modern offenses. We could implement, stunts, delayed blitzes, CB blitzes, red dog blitz patterns or even a zone blitz. Heck, at this point, I'd take a basic A gap blitz done right.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You are the one that seems to know what kind of scheme we run. I see Francis getting bull rushed because he lost leverage. I see Pat getting blasted by a bigger man than him and he not able to handle himself. I see Brandt over running plays ALL YEAR including today. I see Keshon getting put on his knees by bigger tackle. Is Ted calling the wrong type of blitzes? Is Pelton really teaching something that his kids can't do? Really, that is what you think. So you are so astute at football schemes and what we run vs other teams that you can tell that our players don't always do what they are coached, but are coached to fail. You are good?
Do you understand what a gap style defense is? known as a one-gap D. In a one-gap D you are avoiding the blocks by shooting gaps and you have one specific gap that is yours. what we do is go into the block and try to fight off blocks to fill two gaps (the gap to the right and the one to the left) which is know as a two- gap D. If our D line is not big, fast, or strong enough to get off the blocks, which you yourself proved by saying we are getting pushed around, why go into the OL instead of shooting a gap and avoiding the block as much as possible? You can even play one- gap on the strong side and two- gap on the weak side of the play. Imo this allows LB's to run more freely. One- gap insures a better chance for a hole to be clogged and can help force RB's to make cut backs towards the backside D line and LB's if the gap being slanted into is the direction of the run. Imo we don't run this for the simple fact that roof knows how to run the two-gap better. So the guys are being taught it correctly, but it is just not playing to their strengths Imo, which, like I said, you showed by saying the guys are being blown off the ball.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
after reading your post i highly recommend that you apply for roof's job.
Thank you I'll think about it. Lol man what is yalls issue with someone having an opinion. It's comical actually. Not one time did I say I was right, I simply am saying this is my opinion.

Definition of opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Jmonty71

Banned
Do you understand what a gap style defense is? known as a one-gap D. In a one-gap D you are avoiding the blocks by shooting gaps and you have one specific gap that is yours. what we do is go into the block and try to fight off blocks to fill two gaps (the gap to the right and the one to the left) which is know as a two- gap D. If our D line is not big, fast, or strong enough to get off the blocks, which you yourself proved by saying we are getting pushed around, why go into the OL instead of shooting a gap and avoiding the block as much as possible? You can even play one- gap on the strong side and two- gap on the weak side of the play. Imo this allows LB's to run more freely. One- gap insures a better chance for a hole to be clogged and can help force RB's to make cut backs towards the backside D line and LB's if the gap being slanted into is the direction of the run. Imo we don't run this for the simple fact that roof knows how to run the two-gap better. So the guys are being taught it correctly, but it is just not playing to their strengths Imo, which, like I said, you showed by saying the guys are being blown off the ball.
To add. The LBs also need to be on the same page as the DL. Too many times I've seen our LBs run up the backside of our own DL. Which makes one OLineman block 2 people. It looks like a cluster F, out there some times. Is that the DL not moving correctly, to open the gap? Is it poor execution? Is it even being taught? I really don't know. All I know is, we seem to telegraph a blitz so well, Stevie Wonder sees it coming. I also see, we rarely be anyone through unblocked. We can bring more people than blockers, yet we all get blocked. Why is that?

To add. The LBs also need to be on the same page as the DL. Too many times I've seen our LBs run up the backside of our own DL. Which makes one OLineman block 2 people. It looks like a cluster F, out there some times. Is that the DL not moving correctly, to open the gap? Is it poor execution? Is it even being taught? I really don't know. All I know is, we seem to telegraph a blitz so well, Stevie Wonder sees it coming. I also see, we rarely be anyone through unblocked. We can bring more people than blockers, yet we all get blocked. Why is that?
To be as fair as I think is possible, a lot of that IS talent. Not all of it, but some of it at least.

Yes I do understand. I also know we have undersized DL playing out of position. We have 3 legit interior DL and those guys are RSFR, SO, FR. LB's are young and inexperienced. Popular opinion is that are DB's are short and slow. Where is this so called talent that is not being used correctly. It doesn't matter if you shoot the gap or go straight at your man. When our DL engaged their OL they got pushed in what ever direction the OL wanted to push him. We won today because Kirby is not smart. We won today because the d gave up FG's instead of TD"s. We won today because we had offensive players make enough plays to break their hearts. We finally stole one from them rather than getting robbed. Tech out coached ugag for once.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I'll wait and see the bowl game, but I think our defensive performances against VT, UVA and UGA were probably enough to give him one more year, considering the recruits he has coming in. However, next year the D needs to make significant strides.

The D held the mutts to FGs and found a way to make a play when we needed them though. This was a team win. The D didn't give up. The O didn't give up. Searcy didn't give up. That was the difference in the ball game.