Ted Roof earns redemption!

The way the game has evolved offensively over the last 7 years has made defenses have to play catch up, which they are having a hard time doing. The emergence of the dual threat QB has created an advantage for the offense like nothing DC have ever had to deal with. Look at how many teams in the ACC run some sort of option offense. Those kind of offenses on good days can make good defenses look mediocre to bad. If it wasn't for the glaring 3rd down defense being so bad, their performance has been than the avg. Not too many teams have the luxury of Alabama talent or even remotely close. I saw a lot of bad defensive performances from a lot of teams this year. We aren't the only ones asking for better results. I'm sure ugag *****s are crying right now 13 fing point lead in the 4th quarter and we lose to those fers. That makes me giggle.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The way the game has evolved offensively over the last 7 years has made defenses have to play catch up, which they are having a hard time doing. The emergence of the dual threat QB has created an advantage for the offense like nothing DC have ever had to deal with. Look at how many teams in the ACC run some sort of option offense. Those kind of offenses on good days can make good defenses look mediocre to bad. If it wasn't for the glaring 3rd down defense being so bad, their performance has been than the avg. Not too many teams have the luxury of Alabama talent or even remotely close. I saw a lot of bad defensive performances from a lot of teams this year. We aren't the only ones asking for better results. I'm sure ugag ****** are crying right now 13 fing point lead in the 4th quarter and we lose to those fers. That makes me giggle.

It's not just the evolution of the offenses, but also the rules changes to make the game safer heavily favor the offense. Defensive fundamentals are more important than ever.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I appreciate you passion for Roof. I also appreciate that you now say that we have below average talent among FBS teams. Before you were saying that they wouldn't start for georgie, and now you are saying that they would only start for the worst Pwr5 teams and not for many G5 teams.

That position is coherent. I just disagree.
I think it's easy to understand my posts. We play UGA, Clemson, VPI, FSU etc. If you want to hold the coaches accountable to consistently beat these teams we have to be able to recruit those kids. If not it will always be hit or miss. Our staff has done a remarkable job this year and I think it will continue but if you want consistency, academics will have to change. If not don't blame the coaches.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
8-4 with this squad, shoulda been 9-3 (Pitt). Great coaching job on both sides of the ball. Perfect? Not even close.

Everyone be happy, we just rolled into Athens and got another Dub. Don't ruin my week.

I'd argue we could have been 10-2. Not only did we lose to Pitt in a fluky manner, but our offense gave away the Miami game in two consecutive poor possessions. Now, we did have great comebacks against Dook, BC, and uga, so I guess it kind of evens out.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The way the game has evolved offensively over the last 7 years has made defenses have to play catch up, which they are having a hard time doing. The emergence of the dual threat QB has created an advantage for the offense like nothing DC have ever had to deal with. Look at how many teams in the ACC run some sort of option offense. Those kind of offenses on good days can make good defenses look mediocre to bad. If it wasn't for the glaring 3rd down defense being so bad, their performance has been than the avg. Not too many teams have the luxury of Alabama talent or even remotely close. I saw a lot of bad defensive performances from a lot of teams this year. We aren't the only ones asking for better results. I'm sure ugag ****** are crying right now 13 fing point lead in the 4th quarter and we lose to those fers. That makes me giggle.

I agree that rule changes have made playing defense harder, but this excuse assumes that we are in a vacuum. Everyone in the NCAA is playing under the same rules, and most teams are still playing better defense than we are.

I'm not concerned with how our defense now measures up against our defense under Tenuta. I'm concerned with how our defense now measures up with the rest of the defenses now...and really just the rest of the defenses in our conference.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I expect Roof will be here next year given the "improvement" in the D at the end of the season. I think overall that is good given the turmoil caused by changing coaches.

But I don't expect any better than an average defense next year. We have had a bad defense for the year as a whole. Ranked 102nd by Football Outsiders FEI for the whole year. No one can argue that we recruit worse than that. These stats are adjusted for SOS, location of game, ect. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

I like Roof a lot and wanted him to become our head coach. That is for the illogical reasons that he is one of us and played his heart out for us.

But after the Pitt game, I thought he should be fired since our defense was lethargic and uninspired looking to my eye and had been for a few games. We were even worse ranked overall, I think it was in the 110's out of 128.

Now I'm hoping that we get the turnaround on D which would be about 35-40 out of 128 (e.g. about 30th percentile). That's a bit better or about what we recruit.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I expect Roof will be here next year given the "improvement" in the D at the end of the season. I think overall that is good given the turmoil caused by changing coaches.

But I don't expect any better than an average defense next year. We have had a bad defense for the year as a whole. Ranked 102nd by Football Outsiders FEI for the whole year. No one can argue that we recruit worse than that. These stats are adjusted for SOS, location of game, ect. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

I like Roof a lot and wanted him to become our head coach. That is for the illogical reasons that he is one of us and played his heart out for us.

But after the Pitt game, I thought he should be fired since our defense was lethargic and uninspired looking to my eye and had been for a few games. We were even worse ranked overall, I think it was in the 110's out of 128.

Now I'm hoping that we get the turnaround on D which would be about 35-40 out of 128 (e.g. about 30th percentile). That's a bit better or about what we recruit.
Average would be nice :)

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Main two things Roof brings is recruiting and playing well against uga. He's been here four years. A double OT loss, a win in athens where uga's offense scored TD's the first and last time they had the ball in regulation, a loss at Tech when uga only had one TD, and a win in athens when the D got two big stops in the 4th qtr when we had to have them. Before that he was 2-2 as a player, and IIRC 3-1 under O'Leary. When he has been at Tech, either in uniform or on the payroll, we are, I think, 7-5 against uga. It's beginning to look like more than coincidence.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think it's easy to understand my posts. We play UGA, Clemson, VPI, FSU etc. If you want to hold the coaches accountable to consistently beat these teams we have to be able to recruit those kids. If not it will always be hit or miss. Our staff has done a remarkable job this year and I think it will continue but if you want consistency, academics will have to change. If not don't blame the coaches.

Wait, now it seems that you are going back to talking past me again. Who is talking about holding coaches accountable for not consistently beating those teams? Maybe, in the CPJ thread, but not in the discussions about Ted.

We're talking about defensive performance not wins and losses. We're talking about being below average in many/most stats over four years, not about a failure to get elite results every year.

I agree with @redmule that Ted has achieved decent results in our games against georgie, but that simply makes our struggles for much of the rest of the season more difficult to understand.

Once again, I appreciate your loyalty to Ted. It's clear to me that you are motivated by this loyalty and that nothing I or anyone else can say will sway you from your agenda to defend him. However, for the sake of fruitful discussion, please don't suggest that questioning of our DC comes from a failure to regularly win against elite talent. That is not fair.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thx to bob for posting the replay of this game...this is the only game I've gone back to watch a replay of. I was so blitzed at game I forgot some of what went down

Watching the much aligned mutt Oline blow our Dline off the ball was sobering. Took all out run blitzes crashing the box to stop their run game. Am I crazy or were the calls on D pretty damn good? I think they were mixed up really well actually but I know the Roof haters will give no credit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Thx to bob for posting the replay of this game...this is the only game I've gone back to watch a replay of. I was so blitzed at game I forgot some of what went down

Watching the much aligned mutt Oline blow our Dline off the ball was sobering. Took all out run blitzes crashing the box to stop their run game. Am I crazy or were the calls on D pretty damn good? I think they were mixed up really well actually but I know the Roof haters will give no credit.

I think Roof adjusted well for the most part. The first half we struggled mightily to stop their run game, but as the game progressed, we started to tighten down. We also got enough pressure on Eason to force some really bad throws. Wish we could have sacked his butt a few times. We again did the D few favors by scoring on big plays early on and not killing clock on drives. They came up big for us in the 4th Qtr though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
My kingdom for a Dline that can bring pressure with 4.....hell I'll settle for pressure bringing 5.

Our DL was not able to hold the point of attack much less get any penetration. We are in need of some saviors.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't like to disrespect any player specifically but you are right on up state. The only kid we have on D who would play at UGA is 15 maybe. 47 doesn't understand scheme obviously. We've done everything scheme wise to try to overcome our short comings in personnel. We probably have done better playing base read and react than anything but we've stunted and blitzed in every type of configuration and used every coverage known to man.

If we want to hold our coaches accountable to the standard of other schools then we gave to make it easier to recruit here. Level the field so to speak.

It's easier to be competitive with lesser talent on offense because of the spread bone. That's why I love CPJ. Defense on the other hand there is nowhere to hide.

The way recruiting and requirements are at Tech makes consistency of staff the most important part of being consistently successful.

The players in this program although not as talented play with great effort and never give up. This is a credit to them and our staff.
What do you even mean by I don't understand scheme? Because I have an opinion our scheme is not geared for the players we have? A 2-gap like we run have more assignments for the players on the D line compared to a 1- gap. 1-gap insures a better chance of clogging up a hole because you are not going into the OL like you are in a 2-gap. We get pushed back at the los because we are not big or strong enough to hold the los, that's the only reason I say I would like us to run a 1-gap. So please show me one thing I have said that shows I don't know schemes? I have explained myself yet all
You can do is say we did all we could with no explanation of why you don't think a 1-gap wouldn't work better. Please show me what you know about scheme. I agree that we have done all we could with the scheme we are running, but my point is we could run a different scheme for different results. Now if you don't agree with that, then that's fine. But that's your OPINION, don't act as if it's a fact.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
What do you even mean by I don't understand scheme? Because I have an opinion our scheme is not geared for the players we have? A 2-gap like we run have more assignments for the players on the D line compared to a 1- gap. 1-gap insures a better chance of clogging up a hole because you are not going into the OL like you are in a 2-gap. We get pushed back at the los because we are not big or strong enough to hold the los, that's the only reason I say I would like us to run a 1-gap. So please show me one thing I have said that shows I don't know schemes? I have explained myself yet all
You can do is say we did all we could with no explanation of why you don't think a 1-gap wouldn't work better. Please show me what you know about scheme. I agree that we have done all we could with the scheme we are running, but my point is we could run a different scheme for different results. Now if you don't agree with that, then that's fine. But that's your OPINION, don't act as if it's a fact.
We run a 1 gap, gap control 4-3, 7 man front defense.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

Maybe I'm a little confused but how do you know we run a 2-gap scheme? With Groh we did because normally in a 3-4 your DL line head up on the OL. But our DL shade the OL. If we were running a 2-gap scheme we are already misaligned. Our DL is using a gap control tech of punching the OL and trying to maintain their gap assignment. We don't do a very good job. When we penetrate I see a lot of time of us getting washed out of the play and creating a larger hole.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I'm a little confused but how do you know we run a 2-gap scheme? With Groh we did because normally in a 3-4 your DL line head up on the OL. But our DL shade the OL. If we were running a 2-gap scheme we are already misaligned. Our DL is using a gap control tech of punching the OL and trying to maintain their gap assignment. We don't do a very good job. When we penetrate I see a lot of time of us getting washed out of the play and creating a larger hole.
Ok maybe I should say it better, but our D line is responsible for two gaps, maybe not your standard 2-gap because of our allinment but when our guys are going directly into the OL with their hands in hopes of standing them up and shedding off blocks to either the left or the right which means they are responsible for those gaps, of course they have the help of the LB's. If this is not what roof is trying to run I apologize, but it's what the guys are trying to do. I think it's pretty obvious if you watch the film. But besides that my point is it we are getting pushed back because we are engaging with the OL why not shoot gaps?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We run a 1 gap, gap control 4-3, 7 man front defense.
Well, if this is what we run they are not doing a very good job of it and it certainly looks as if they are responsible for two different gaps, maybe that's just because they get so controlled by the OL. But my point beyond all that is why not shoot gaps? Why are we engaging with the OL when we clearly are not big or strong enough? I understand we align in gaps as if we are playing a 1-gap but if so why at the snap are we sliding head on into the OL and not staying in that gap?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok maybe I should say it better, but our D line is responsible for two gaps, maybe not your standard 2-gap because of our allinment but when our guys are going directly into the OL with their hands in hopes of standing them up and shedding off blocks to either the left or the right which means they are responsible for those gaps, of course they have the help of the LB's. If this is not what roof is trying to run I apologize, but it's what the guys are trying to do. I think it's pretty obvious if you watch the film. But besides that my point is it we are getting pushed back because we are engaging with the OL why not shoot gaps?

Oh ok. I get what you are saying. It still should be a 1-gap system. If you are backside of the play it leaves you in a pickle with how to defeat your block and pursue. Do you cross face of the OL or try and get around in your assigned gap? We were taught crossing face. Doesn't mean the gap you were shaded on isn't your responsibility. My main concern in shooting gaps would be the DL getting washed out of the plays. I think we can agree the DL needs to perform at a higher level. After Gamble and Kallon we were young at DT. They need to get bigger and stronger in the offseason.