Roster Transition

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts to add:

For those who are including Lucas and Kirvonte into their projected roles/depth-chart, I hope you are correct, but I fear that is wishful thinking. Assuming successful rehab and recovery would only have them coming on line early in the season. Now factor in that they miss spring practice learning the brand new system. It is hard to picture they will truly be ready. I hope I am very wrong, as I have high opinions of both of them, especially considering what direction the offense is likely to go.

Additionally, I would not be so quick to move Tobias out of the QB role just yet. He has shown the ability to make plays with his arm, even if he hasn't yet shown the ability to stand back there and sling it around to the far reaches of most QBs range. Having him take deep snaps, running zone read plays, with 4 wides, would put enormous pressure on a spread out defense. He is a QB who can keep plays alive and make the most out of unscripted situations. It may turn out that he moves to a different skill position, but we will want the rock in his hands in some way shape or form.

Graham is an unknown to me. With his tiny sample size, he really looks the part. He HAS to stay at QB and soak in this new offense.

For those who are concerned about our OL making the transition, don't assume we will be terrible because our pass blocking results have been less than stellar. That is like comparing apples to oranges. We have some physical talent in the front 5. Consider this. Our OL has been pass blocking from a run block stance with a hand on the ground and butt way up in the air with splits that are time and a half more wide than a conventional or pass heavy offense. There is not a group of OLs in the country who would be effective protecting in their style of offense starting in that position. I am more optimistic about the transition of the OL to a new O than any other position group. When we have to run block in the new scheme, we will be very very good, better than most. Having to learn to pass protect starting from a 2 pt stance with a closer neighbor will probably be easier than learning to run block like we have. We might see some guys move around, but I think we will be good because we are used to being physical rather than punching bags. For guys like Parker Braun, it might be good for him. I envision him moving to blindside OT and raising his NFL stock. He has proven to be a physical player with good feet and he is possibly long enough to play tackle. Just a creative thought on my part. The new staff may decide to keep him put.

As far as roster moves, I have no idea who transfers or whatever, but we need a few players to consider moving to defense. We need speed and depth over there in a bad way and we have some bigger faster LB sized types in surplus right now on the offensive side. Not everybody will get playing time at RB.

I am loyal to GT without question and support CGC fully. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive though. I can see this thing working without much of a let down, so long as we transition gradually between offensive philosophies. If we try and take the current roster and play the same game as UGAg on offense immediately, I fear it will be a painful couple of years. My first thought about where to go on offense was back to a "fridge" type model. We can keep some option concepts out of the bone while expanding our vocabulary at the same time. You can do that kind of thing. H&LL, if the "goose" could do it, we can find somebody who can get it done from our current roster. As far as finding a TE, I'm sure we could land a grad transfer rental immediately while trying to recruit for the future.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts to add:

For those who are including Lucas and Kirvonte into their projected roles/depth-chart, I hope you are correct, but I fear that is wishful thinking. Assuming successful rehab and recovery would only have them coming on line early in the season. Now factor in that they miss spring practice learning the brand new system. It is hard to picture they will truly be ready. I hope I am very wrong, as I have high opinions of both of them, especially considering what direction the offense is likely to go.

Additionally, I would not be so quick to move Tobias out of the QB role just yet. He has shown the ability to make plays with his arm, even if he hasn't yet shown the ability to stand back there and sling it around to the far reaches of most QBs range. Having him take deep snaps, running zone read plays, with 4 wides, would put enormous pressure on a spread out defense. He is a QB who can keep plays alive and make the most out of unscripted situations. It may turn out that he moves to a different skill position, but we will want the rock in his hands in some way shape or form.

Graham is an unknown to me. With his tiny sample size, he really looks the part. He HAS to stay at QB and soak in this new offense.

For those who are concerned about our OL making the transition, don't assume we will be terrible because our pass blocking results have been less than stellar. That is like comparing apples to oranges. We have some physical talent in the front 5. Consider this. Our OL has been pass blocking from a run block stance with a hand on the ground and butt way up in the air with splits that are time and a half more wide than a conventional or pass heavy offense. There is not a group of OLs in the country who would be effective protecting in their style of offense starting in that position. I am more optimistic about the transition of the OL to a new O than any other position group. When we have to run block in the new scheme, we will be very very good, better than most. Having to learn to pass protect starting from a 2 pt stance with a closer neighbor will probably be easier than learning to run block like we have. We might see some guys move around, but I think we will be good because we are used to being physical rather than punching bags. For guys like Parker Braun, it might be good for him. I envision him moving to blindside OT and raising his NFL stock. He has proven to be a physical player with good feet and he is possibly long enough to play tackle. Just a creative thought on my part. The new staff may decide to keep him put.

As far as roster moves, I have no idea who transfers or whatever, but we need a few players to consider moving to defense. We need speed and depth over there in a bad way and we have some bigger faster LB sized types in surplus right now on the offensive side. Not everybody will get playing time at RB.

I am loyal to GT without question and support CGC fully. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive though. I can see this thing working without much of a let down, so long as we transition gradually between offensive philosophies. If we try and take the current roster and play the same game as UGAg on offense immediately, I fear it will be a painful couple of years. My first thought about where to go on offense was back to a "fridge" type model. We can keep some option concepts out of the bone while expanding our vocabulary at the same time. You can do that kind of thing. H&LL, if the "goose" could do it, we can find somebody who can get it done from our current roster. As far as finding a TE, I'm sure we could land a grad transfer rental immediately while trying to recruit for the future.
As always good post w content.

I believe it was u or navy that cautioned me/ us about the early return of Nathan C from knee surgery. U predicted some gradual recovery and suggested limited duty to get his CONFIDENCE back. Its been fun to watch him comeback and hope he will be a key player. Guy looks like a grown man as do most r -sr.

I think a qb in the new system should not be our lead runner and so I am hoping LJ gives it a shot.

When u get time please weigh in on the DL. Imo, this is our weakest link. Maybe the new coach can work some Defensive Scheme magic.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A few thoughts to add:

I think the hardest part will be finding guys to play TE and WR in a pro set. As for QB, I think everyone is selling Oliver short if they think he does not have the ability to throw the ball accurately. He has the size and athletic ability to be an effective college QB. Remember, at this level the QB has to be able to run. Often as part of the scheme as well as trying to make something out of a failed play. Maybe he is not the ultimate QB, but I like him as a football player. Remember, Jalen Hurts is more like Tobias than he is like Tua. I think most of would be OK with a QB like Hurts.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, unless Collins has a QB in the bag coming with him Graham has to stay qb.

In no way shape or form do I see Tobias as a qb in any other offense but the TO.

I’m hoping he reaches back to the Friedgen well and hires Goose as OC. Friedgen would have enough ingenuity and creativity to build an offense with the players on the roster. Yates looks like Lil Joe 2.0 & I’m sure he could build an offense around Graham.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Coach Sisk is in charge of the entire program, all sports. GT does not have the money for a Football only weight room and strength staff. GT has 1 weight room that everyone uses including cheerleaders etc. Sisk is excellent. The new Coach would be wise to keep him and his staff. Improve nutrition. Trying to eat to gain good weight in a GT cafeteria is tough.

Flea,
That is an interesting statement about the nutrition lack.That's not good .
Tell Will good luck and appreciate his efforts.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell would have been our feature AB next year, but... I think he could prove very valuable as a scat back to change pace from the bigger BB's we'll use as RB's, and/or a slot receiver. His speed would be tough to deal with in the slot.

I may be wrong- but I have doubts about Cottrell.He has speed but little flexibility/stopngo in his game.Plus, can he catch-?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Something tells me Sisk won't be retained. S&C coach is one of the most important on the entire staff, and HCs usually like to work with one of their "own".
True, but PJ, who brought his S&C guy from Southern to Navy, didn't bring him from Navy to Tech.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Very much agree with Boomer and ATL that Graham should get a shot at QB. I think the notion that CPJ recruited QBs that literally could not play QB at any other school was overblown. JT could have been a good QB in a shotgun spread school - perhaps not widely recognized as a real possibility coming out of HS, but that’s because recruiters are very far from perfect. Graham isn’t at that level but the guy deserves a chance.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So you meant to say we couldn't execute a pro style offense, not that we couldn't recruit to one. We have offered 4 and 5 star players the last 11 years. We just didn't close on them and I am sure our offensive system was one of the reasons.

Maybe. But the number of 5 stars going to football programs noted for their academics is few and far between. If that's the case, getting to a program and a scheme that prepares you for the pros, why doesn't Duke, with Cutcliffe who coached up Peyton and Eli, have any 4 and 5 star recruits?
Northwestern has had 0 5 star guys, going back to 2009. Stanford has had 5 5 stars in the last 5-6 years, but three of those came in one year.
I propose that it's less the scheme we've been running and more the academic wall.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But the number of 5 stars going to football programs noted for their academics is few and far between. If that's the case, getting to a program and a scheme that prepares you for the pros, why doesn't Duke, with Cutcliffe who coached up Peyton and Eli, have any 4 and 5 star recruits?
Northwestern has had 0 5 star guys, going back to 2009. Stanford has had 5 5 stars in the last 5-6 years, but three of those came in one year.
I propose that it's less the scheme we've been running and more the academic wall.
I do think the offense limited our chances to get five stars, but CPJ proved you don't need 5 stars to have a top 20 offense with the right scheme. We will need to start landing more top quality offensive player moving forward if we want to maintain success with a scheme everyone runs, which I believe Collins will be able to do.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I for one hope we keep the midline and speed option. Especially on the goal line.

On another note: Dang, I forgot how fun Friedgen's offense was. He ran opition out of multiple sets. There's actually a 30 play later in those highlights off another formation. That was a fun blast from the past.
Yes, you couldn't spend a lot of time practicing against one or two things.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder how Parker Braun feels about this. I know he picked GT because he LOVED our blocking scheme and how we fire off the ball. Now he's got to transition to another style of play. If anything, going to a new blocking scheme could enhance his NFL value if it works out for him.

True, but it's not like moving to another scheme means everyone is in a 2-point stance with their arms out pillow fighting from the snap of the ball.

Lots of schemes still put the guard in a 3-point stance, even for inside zone/outside zone/inverted veer.

Funny enough, if you watch some of Oregon's outside zone when Chip Kelly was OC/HC you'll see their guards in a 3-point stance and "belly flop diving" at the ankles of the DT's. So much for the complaint about us being the only team in the world that does that ... :D

Techster

Helluva Engineer
True, but it's not like moving to another scheme means everyone is in a 2-point stance with their arms out pillow fighting from the snap of the ball.

Lots of schemes still put the guard in a 3-point stance, even for inside zone/outside zone/inverted veer.

Funny enough, if you watch some of Oregon's outside zone when Chip Kelly was OC/HC you'll see their guards in a 3-point stance and "belly flop diving" at the ankles of the DT's. So much for the complaint about us being the only team in the world that does that ... :D

CPJ isn't dumb. There are advantages to the 3 pt stance. We ran 80%+ of the time, so obviously the OL in 3pt stance was advantageous to what we were doing.

However, theres an argument to be made that it was disadvantageous to pass blocking, especially at OT.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are about to find out what it's like to be the hot chick who's aloof and bitchy. When it comes to roster management and recruiting, your principles will be put to the test when you are rooting for a team that's desired instead of chasing.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, unless Collins has a QB in the bag coming with him Graham has to stay qb.

In no way shape or form do I see Tobias as a qb in any other offense but the TO.

I’m hoping he reaches back to the Friedgen well and hires Goose as OC. Friedgen would have enough ingenuity and creativity to build an offense with the players on the roster. Yates looks like Lil Joe 2.0 & I’m sure he could build an offense around Graham.
I've got Graham starting next year. He could be special

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Actually, I would say the fanbase size and the resources are the biggest issue.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ isn't dumb. There are advantages to the 3 pt stance. We ran 80%+ of the time, so obviously the OL in 3pt stance was advantageous to what we were doing.

However, theres an argument to be made that it was disadvantageous to pass blocking, especially at OT.
Absolutely that stance is disadvantageous to pass blocking, in a traditional sense. So were the splits. Nobody else would do it. We did it because 80% of the time we threw the ball was off play action. Gotta sell the run in order to throw in our old offense.