Roster Transition

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I would say the fanbase size and the resources are the biggest issue.

resources as in how much cash we can slip under the door of their uncle or next door neighbor for plausible deniability?
(if you think there isn't a bidding war for these elite players, well ... the only difference between college football and college basketball is there aren't any dirty shoe company reps to roll over for the feds in college football)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Decided to post here even though this thread is 95% about offensive players.

Is anyone else absolutely jacked about the athletes we have returning on D?

Carpenter
Oliver
J. Thomas
C. Thomas
Walton

All these guys look like NFL caliber DBs, and a couple will probably end up at LB for us.

But if I was an incoming DC I would be salivating over the athletes in our back seven on D right now!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Decided to post here even though this thread is 95% about offensive players.

Is anyone else absolutely jacked about the athletes we have returning on D?

Carpenter
Oliver
J. Thomas
C. Thomas
Walton

All these guys look like NFL caliber DBs, and a couple will probably end up at LB for us.

But if I was an incoming DC I would be salivating over the athletes in our back seven on D right now!
The defensive side of the ball should be looking really good the coming years. We have been pulling in a lot of talent there and have not reaped the rewards on the field yet. This is what I am most excited about the Collins hire.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I would say the fanbase size and the resources are the biggest issue.

Something I looked up a few weeks ago — the number of 5 star recruits per school since 2014.
Alabama, of course, led. By a lot.
FSU was next (not that it's been reflected on the field. Then again, none of them were OL)
Clemson was third.
But you know who was third in ACC schools in number of 5 star recruits since 2014?
Virginia.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Something I looked up a few weeks ago — the number of 5 star recruits per school since 2014.
FSU was next (not that it's been reflected on the field. Then again, none of them were OL)
Clemson was third.
But you know who was third in ACC schools in number of 5 star recruits since 2014?
Virginia.

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Edited to add that Mike London was a heck of a recruiter... but a terrible coach!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was third.
Virginia.
This is the one thing I am scared of that I hope doesn't happen. I am sure the overall star rating will increase, but there is no guarantee that performance will increase. Looking forward to some all star coordinator hires!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One guy I always liked but we never fully utilized was Omarhi Jarrett. IMO, he would have been a great passing target as an AB. Fortunately, CGC is bringing a system that can utilize Jarrett's skillset in the slot. OJ literally plaed slot WR in HS, and was a darn good one as well:

One thing that could happen with some of these ABs is they could move to defense. Xavier Gantt played DB in HS. Gonna be an interesting spring at every position on both sides of the ball.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
AB's could move to DB's. Some could also be slot WR or RB's. Its not that big of deal. We have 2x the amount of defined RB than we need on the roster. But easily 5-6 of them can switch.

The main thing is getting TE numbers IMO.

I think the transition will be there for sure, but I am not convinced its THAT big a deal. Although, I do have to say, QB is the one area I am unsure of that could be an issue. But we should be able to implement a 60/40 run to pass zone read system with 1 read RPOs rather quickly...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
AB's could move to DB's. Some could also be slot WR or RB's. Its not that big of deal. We have 2x the amount of defined RB than we need on the roster. But easily 5-6 of them can switch.

The main thing is getting TE numbers IMO.

I think the transition will be there for sure, but I am not convinced its THAT big a deal. Although, I do have to say, QB is the one area I am unsure of that could be an issue. But we should be able to implement a 60/40 run to pass zone read system with 1 read RPOs rather quickly...

It's only a big deal if CGC hires an OC that's not good at utilizing the talent that's on hand. There's enough talent on the offensive side of the ball to be productive if someone is innovative enough and knows their personnel.

IMO, the OC is a bigger issue than the personnel.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's only a big deal if CGC hires an OC that's not good at utilizing the talent that's on hand. There's enough talent on the offensive side of the ball to be productive if someone is innovative enough and knows their personnel.

IMO, the OC is a bigger issue than the personnel.
Agree 100 %
We will need an offensive coordinator that understands his offense will need to be a mix using the players we have at this time. If we get one that is determined to run a so called pro offense we will be lucky win 3 games next year. Guess we will see in the spring game. ( IMO )

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Let’s see. Looks like there’ll be some holes to fill.

DLine:
Adams
Glanton

Linebacker:
Jackson
Bruce Swilling
Henderson

Secondary:
Swilling
Carpenter
Thomas
Desmond Branch on dl?
Jaylon King was highly rated, have we heard anything since he's been on campus?
LB seems to be biggest "?" but maybe moving from 3-4 to 4-3 will help there since we didn't have time to recruit to it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Desmond Branch on dl?
Jaylon King was highly rated, have we heard anything since he's been on campus?
LB seems to be biggest "?" but maybe moving from 3-4 to 4-3 will help there since we didn't have time to recruit to it.
Branch graduated

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
With a new system on both sides, what do you think the lineups will look like? Here’s mine.

Offense:
QB: James Graham, Lucas Johnson
RB: Jordan Mason, Jordan Howard
TE: Tyler Davis, Dylan Deveney
WR: Jalen Camp, Steve Dolphus
WR: Malachi Carter, Peje Harris
Slot: Adonicas Sanders, Jair Hawkins-Anderson
OT: Jacob defoor, Zach Quiney
OT: Jared Southers, Mikey Minihan
OG: Parker Braun, Austin Smith
OG: Connor Hansen, Micheal Maye
C: Kenny Cooper, Jahaziel Lee

Defense:
SDE: Antwan Owens, Quan Griffin
WDE: Justice Dingle, Sylvian Yondjouen
DT: Brandon Adams, TK Chimedza
DT: Brentavious Glanton, Chris Martin
ILB: Bruce Swilling, David Curry
OLB: Charlie Thomas, Jaquan Henderson
OLB: Quez Jackson, Jordan Domineck
SS: Tariq Carpenter, Kaleb Oliver
FS: Juanyeh Thomas, Christian Campbell
CB: Tre Swilling, Jaylon King
CB: Zamari Walton, Jaytlin Askew

THWG

Helluva Engineer
With a new system on both sides, what do you think the lineups will look like? Here’s mine.

Offense:
QB: James Graham, Lucas Johnson
RB: Jordan Mason, Jordan Howard
TE: Tyler Davis, Dylan Deveney
WR: Jalen Camp, Steve Dolphus
WR: Malachi Carter, Peje Harris
Slot: Adonicas Sanders, Jair Hawkins-Anderson
OT: Jacob defoor, Zach Quiney
OT: Jared Southers, Mikey Minihan
OG: Parker Braun, Austin Smith
OG: Connor Hansen, Micheal Maye
C: Kenny Cooper, Jahaziel Lee

Defense:
SDE: Antwan Owens, Quan Griffin
WDE: Justice Dingle, Sylvian Yondjouen
DT: Brandon Adams, TK Chimedza
DT: Brentavious Glanton, Chris Martin
ILB: Bruce Swilling, David Curry
OLB: Charlie Thomas, Jaquan Henderson
OLB: Quez Jackson, Jordan Domineck
SS: Tariq Carpenter, Kaleb Oliver
FS: Juanyeh Thomas, Christian Campbell
CB: Tre Swilling, Jaylon King
CB: Zamari Walton, Jaytlin Askew
Pretty much the same for me, but I think Boe Tufele will make his way in the Oline rotation and I think Dawson will play a lot on the DLine. I don't where he will play but I'm willing to bet it's one of the DE spots and Quan Griffin moves inside. I also really like Luke Johns and can see him backing up Dingle if Youndjen needs a year.

Milwaukee

Banned
Like that defense a lot. What's the status of Jaquan getting more snaps somewhere?

Lee starts on the OL somewhere. Our OL is gonna be better in our new system imo.