Roster Transition

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
So...

Assuming we hire Collins, we're obviously moving away from the TO and will likely be moving to more of a spread option. Here are our scholarship numbers by position as of now:

QB's: 5 (2 incoming freshmen)
RB: 12 (2 incoming freshmen)
WR: 8 (2 incoming freshmen)
TE: 0 (for obvious reasons)
OL: 17 (2 incoming freshmen)

Here's my question... who would you move where? I know this is premature, and we don't really know what the plans are for the offense. We'll need tight ends (perhaps Camp, Harris, Jump, Cooksey might be options?)... we'll need to move some of those AB's to slot receiver roles I would guess?

We can't have 12 scholarship RB's for an offense that runs only 1 or 2 RB's.

So... what would you do if it were your decision to remake the offense with what we have now?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So...

Assuming we hire Collins, we're obviously moving away from the TO and will likely be moving to more of a spread option. Here are our scholarship numbers by position as of now:

Here's my question... who would you move where? I know this is premature, and we don't really know what the plans are for the offense. We'll need tight ends (perhaps Camp, Harris, Jump, Cooksey might be options?)... we'll need to move some of those AB's to slot receiver roles I would guess?

So... what would you do if it were your decision to remake the offense with what we have now?
I would move Camp to Tight end. Most of the A backs will become WRs imo especially guys like Jarrett and Whatley.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the roster adjustment will be that severe. We've got a good stable of RBs in our BBs (and Tobias Oliver), our bigger WRs can likely play the "dynamic TE" role (especially since we all know they can block), and most of our ABs can likely become slot receivers. OL is probably where we'll have the most problems, as Johnson was generally looking for different traits in OL than most other coaches. A guy like Jahaziel Lee or Austin Smith might end up moving over to DL too.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Biggest winners of the change on offense imo:

The Morgan Twins. Didn’t possess the quick to be good in the option.

Defoors

Austin Smith- would love to have him on defense but may be a right tackle

Biggest loser

Tobias Oliver: what is he in the new offense

Cottrell: can he play the slot or can he run inside the tackle and make people at the 2nd level miss with his speed. Would love if he could become our McCaffery

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think Jerry Howard is probably the biggest loser. Benson and Cottrell could be a damn good 1-2 punch of thunder and lightning.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell would have been our feature AB next year, but... I think he could prove very valuable as a scat back to change pace from the bigger BB's we'll use as RB's, and/or a slot receiver. His speed would be tough to deal with in the slot.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
And now that magical moment when vaporware is wrenched screaming into the world of real product. When all wish fullfilment and revenge fantasy must fall silent in the face of performance.

But seriously, how do you answer this without knowing our intentions towards an end goal?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Most of the A backs can be moved to the slot, but a few may stay as 3rd down backs. I could see cottrell being that type of guy.
Howard and Mason can play tailback or fullback. I think mason would be a mauler in a fullback/H-back type role.
We have some early PT available to talented WR and OT.
Toby would make a good WR

We will have some transfers, especially from the Aback group. Could see some older guys going the Kennesaw St route

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
There is going to be WHOLESALE turnover.WE have too many runningbacks and really DBs. Not enough linemen/big men.

Not really. The weight room philosophy is about to change. Luckily the turnover ABack happened this year. Whatley, Grant, Sanders, Sanders are slot WRs.

RB: Benson, Howard, Mason, Cottrell, Malloy, Amerson. That’s a nice crop of RB but i expect a couple of transfers

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Jerry Howard is probably the biggest loser. Benson and Cottrell could be a damn good 1-2 punch of thunder and lightning.
No way. Give me Howard or Mason to spell Benson any day of the week. Nate would make a good third down back if he can catch and pass protect.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I'd say this is nonobvious until we hear what his plans/OC pick are.

While I'd be shocked if he brought in a Flexbone OC. I would not be surprised if we look more like GSU or Tulane next year. Or even 2008/2013 GT. Lots of option runs, 2 back sets, some shotgun triple option like UVA ran against us... it's what we have the personnel for. I also would not be surprised if we see the Flexbone used similar to how some teams use the wildcat, not as our base offense, but as a running-situation weapon. Since we have guys who know how to run it. Trying to fit a bunch of square pegs in round holes is likely to be a painful process.

I also seriously doubt TStan would have hired someone whose plan was: "WHOLESALE turnover". In his Toddcasts and interviews Todd has been complimentary of the option offense and being different/unique/innovative. I also doubt "Total Person Program" Todd would be on board with 'processing out' a significant portion our student athletes because they don't fit Tech's new scheme.

To be Todd's pick, I have to think CGC's pitch to TStan included an effective transition plan using the current roster. I'm sure we'll have some transfers. But I don't think we're kicking 10 RBs to the curb.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
So...

See my post for Visions for the Future Offense

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the video - GC said they use the players they have and fit the scheme to them.
Perhaps, unlike in past , he will attempt to use several schemes as add ons to the primary offense.
For example would love to OCCASIONALLY see the bigger bb as fullbacks in the I with benson at Rband an extra ol . The counter tre is a bread and butter for our OL.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
My Prediction for the skill position depth chart.
QB - Yates , Johnson/Graham
RB - Benson, Howard/Mason
3DRB - Amerson, Cotrell
WR - Dolphus, Morris
WR - Camp, Carter
TE - ( gotta recruit, although 6’7 Josh Tukes played TE in highschool)
IMO this wouldn’t be a hard transition for GT to make at all.