Roster Transition

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly wouldn’t move anyone to TE unless they’re a great fit for the position. Unless we’re planning on running out of the I a ton, TE is a somewhat optional position. If our game plan initially involves a ton of sweeps, speed options, and 4-receiver sets due to personnel, so be it. I would rather have a modified playbook to play to our strengths than try to shoehorn players into positions where they will struggle due to fit.

On the other hand, we may have some tweeners on defense who don’t fit into the new defensive scheme who might be a good fit for the TE position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO:

Good chance Graham and Tobias move to WR. Tobias was rated higher as a WR and played really well there at an All Star game. Graham was rated high as an athlete. I'm not sure he has the accuracy for the offense Temple ran (Graham's HS passing tape was not that impressive to me). Let's not forget, Temple used a LOT of 3-4 WR sets. Can't fit them all in this recruiting class, so we're going to have to find some from other positions. We're going to need speed on the perimeter, and I'd venture to guess Graham is probably faster than probably all of our WRs. Good reason why CPJ wanted to move Graham there before LJ got hurt.

I think LJ and Yates coming in are the best fit if CGC wants to run the same offensive system. Dual threat ability, plus high passing ability. Doesn't mean they're gonna be the next coming of DeShaun Watson, just that their skillset seems to fit better than the other QBs we have.

I think a lot of guys will get moved around. The movement may not end until Fall practice is over. Lots of guys who fit in between a few positions. Just a matter of buy in from them.

TheOldWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
My Prediction for the skill position depth chart.
QB - Yates , Johnson/Graham
RB - Benson, Howard/Mason
3DRB - Amerson, Cotrell
WR - Dolphus, Morris
WR - Camp, Carter
TE - ( gotta recruit, although 6’7 Josh Tukes played TE in highschool)
IMO this wouldn’t be a hard transition for GT to make at all.

I'd honestly put Carter ahead of Camp and Dolphus

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside of QB, IMO, the biggest need is OT. Our pass sets were so screwy, I'm not sure you can evaluate a flex option OT to a spread passing OT.

Gotta keep our QB upright man. We're probably gonna pass 20-25+ times a game. Our QB can't run for his life like he's been doing the last 11 years.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
Cottrell would have been our feature AB next year, but... I think he could prove very valuable as a scat back to change pace from the bigger BB's we'll use as RB's, and/or a slot receiver. His speed would be tough to deal with in the slot.
IMO - I saw the speed of NC - but he seemed to lack vision in running lanes. Full bore right into the defender. Good player, good team attitude, good blocker. Just not the 'feature back'.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'd honestly put Carter ahead of Camp and Dolphus
When baylor ran the air raid they often had large slot receivers who could block and could get 3 yards after catch.

Put Camp (add 10#) in tight slot, Dolphus (add 10#) at split out slot, and M Carter (loose 5#) at wide and play them all.

As to game, you are right Carter has it. He should be on field all the time

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
100% depends on the OC we bring in. If he brings his current OC, they run plenty of two rb sets that could make use of our bb+ab players. Any of our abacks will be fine as slot players. They’d be fine blockers on bubble screens just as they are on 30 or rocket.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Outside of QB, IMO, the biggest need is OT. Our pass sets were so screwy, I'm not sure you can evaluate a flex option OT to a spread passing OT.

Gotta keep our QB upright man. We're probably gonna pass 20-25+ times a game. Our QB can't run for his life like he's been doing the last 11 years.
Agree 1000 percent.
The need for lean fast o t in COACHES offense has the cooler low on beer!
Looking at how Sisk quickly changed a natural guard Will Bryan and defoor a 305 ot to 285 ot; I think we can get bye. Let's hope no injuries in this thin position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree 1000 percent.
The need for lean fast o t in COACHES offense has the cooler low on beer!
Looking at how Sisk quickly changed a natural guard Will Bryan and defoor a 305 ot to 285 ot; I think se can get bye. Let's hope no injuries in this thin position.

Something tells me Sisk won't be retained. S&C coach is one of the most important on the entire staff, and HCs usually like to work with one of their "own".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Something tells me Sisk won't be retained. S&C coach is one of the most important on the entire staff, and HCs usually like to work with one of their "own".
I like sisk and I think but dont know if he did a good job. What I meant was a good strength program can add muscle to the guys we have.
I hope the morgans feel like that are going to get a fair shot. Brad did some fine pass blocking when he was in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I like sisk and I think but dont know if he did a good job. What I meant was a good strength program can add muscle to the guys we have.
I hope the morgans feel like that are going to get a fair shot. Brad did some fine pass blocking when he was in.

Wonder how Parker Braun feels about this. I know he picked GT because he LOVED our blocking scheme and how we fire off the ball. Now he's got to transition to another style of play. If anything, going to a new blocking scheme could enhance his NFL value if it works out for him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how Parker Braun feels about this. I know he picked GT because he LOVED our blocking scheme and how we fire off the ball. Now he's got to transition to another style of play. If anything, going to a new blocking scheme could enhance his NFL value if it works out for him.
Wasn’t Shaq getting significant play time in year 1 on the Pats? I think that’s a big over blown. NFL loves mean lineman capable of pulling and moving in space. Having more pass pro reps won’t hurt.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t Shaq getting significant play time in year 1 on the Pats? I think that’s a big over blown. NFL loves mean lineman capable of pulling and moving in space. Having more pass pro reps won’t hurt.

Shaq made a remarkable transition to the NFL. Belichek and Brady were lauding how fast he was able to pick up NFL level pass blocking. It worked out so well the Pats actually gave him a monster contract as opposed to letting him go and finding younger and cheaper as they often do.

My interest in Braun is what he was recruited to vs what is coming in. I have no doubt Braun will excel in whatever he's tasked to do...he's just a damm good OL and football player.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Shaq made a remarkable transition to the NFL. Belichek and Brady were lauding how fast he was able to pick up NFL level pass blocking. It worked out so well the Pats actually gave him a monster contract as opposed to letting him go and finding younger and cheaper as they often do.

My interest in Braun is what he was recruited to vs what is coming in. I have no doubt Braun will excel in whatever he's tasked to do...he's just a damm good OL and football player.
I worry about other OL. Braun is too nasty out there to not succeed with any scheme.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
IMO - I saw the speed of NC - but he seemed to lack vision in running lanes. Full bore right into the defender. Good player, good team attitude, good blocker. Just not the 'feature back'.

I agree with your assessment... my point was mostly in saying he's the only AB returning with experience. It would be hard to say we've ever really had an AB that was our 'feature back'. Poor choice of words on my part I suppose.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your assessment... my point was mostly in saying he's the only AB returning with experience. It would be hard to say we've ever really had an AB that was our 'feature back'. Poor choice of words on my part I suppose.
I'd say Robbie Godhigh was probably the closest we ever had to a "featured back" being an AB. Orwin Smith approached those levels too.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So...

Assuming we hire Collins, we're obviously moving away from the TO and will likely be moving to more of a spread option. Here are our scholarship numbers by position as of now:

QB's: 5 (2 incoming freshmen)
RB: 12 (2 incoming freshmen)
WR: 8 (2 incoming freshmen)
TE: 0 (for obvious reasons)
OL: 17 (2 incoming freshmen)

Here's my question... who would you move where? I know this is premature, and we don't really know what the plans are for the offense. We'll need tight ends (perhaps Camp, Harris, Jump, Cooksey might be options?)... we'll need to move some of those AB's to slot receiver roles I would guess?

We can't have 12 scholarship RB's for an offense that runs only 1 or 2 RB's.

So... what would you do if it were your decision to remake the offense with what we have now?
Jalen Camp & Peje Harris can Play TE