Roster Transition

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is what I don't understand. People glorify the GOL offense while bashing the option. I would love going back to that 1999 offense, but it still has a lot of option, so would the option haters bash it? I feel like the option has been a staple of successful GT offenses. We don't need to run JUST the flexbone, but I don't see why we should completely abandon something that has proven to work in multiple eras of football including our current one.

People who want to get away from the option want to get away with it as we have recently been running it, read at the expense of just about everything else. Not any and all option plays.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is what I don't understand. People glorify the GOL offense while bashing the option. I would love going back to that 1999 offense, but it still has a lot of option, so would the option haters bash it? I feel like the option has been a staple of successful GT offenses. We don't need to run JUST the flexbone, but I don't see why we should completely abandon something that has proven to work in multiple eras of football including our current one.

I think a few confuse "option" with "CPJ's option". The option has been a staple for our successes...BOTH under GOL and CPJ. Plus, from a selfish standpoint, I enjoy watching the option. I 100% agree that our offense needs to incorporate the option to some degree. Having the defense account for the QB on every play levels the playing field for teams like GT.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
People who want to get away from the option want to get away with it as we have recently been running it, read at the expense of just about everything else. Not any and all option plays.
That isn't what Silas just said. Most people seem rational about this, but not everyone. I am excited to see what the new OC brings regardless of what it is.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
CGC just said we are going to run a pro offense. I just got to hope it is not the Atlanta Falcons version of a pro offense. Might as well emulate one that is doing fairly well. If we do like New Orleans, we will throw the ball 40 plus times and only run it when our QB's arm needs a rest, same for Kansas City and the LA Rams. I guess we best find someone that can throw it 40 to 50 times a game. A lot of A and B backs are going to go to waste next year. Need to trade them in for some receivers and O linemen that can pass block.

Go Jackets!

CGC just said we are going to run a pro offense. I just got to hope it is not the Atlanta Falcons version of a pro offense. Might as well emulate one that is doing fairly well. If we do like New Orleans, we will throw the ball 40 plus times and only run it when our QB's arm needs a rest, same for Kansas City and the LA Rams. I guess we best find someone that can throw it 40 to 50 times a game. A lot of A and B backs are going to go to waste next year. Need to trade them in for some receivers and O linemen that can pass block.

Go Jackets!
If this is true.....then I expect a 4-8 for at least two seasons. Then back to Chan Gailey 7-5. We cant recruit to that style of offense. I hope this is wrong. If mot then we will be looking for a new coach in 4 years.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
If this is true.....then I expect a 4-8 for at least two seasons. Then back to Chan Gailey 7-5. We cant recruit to that style of offense. I hope this is wrong. If mot then we will be looking for a new coach in 4 years.
We can't? Tashard Choice, Jonathan Dwyer, Calvin Johnson, Demarius Thomas all were recruited for that type of offense.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good NFL teams are multiple on offense. The days of "NFL" offense are long gone. I expect us to be the same. His staff will evaluate what we have and make the best use of it. I expect us to be 65/35 run to pass next year because that's what we are better at doing. Regardless of the results next year, I will support this team and our coach and hope his vision becomes a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Gantt is unfortunately going to be a big loser in the transition. Listed at 5'8" 170 (and he seems smaller in person). Don't think he would be able to play DB or Slot Receiver in the ACC. He would also be buried in the depth chart at RB. I think Cottrell is going to be fine. Super athletic guy that we just need to scheme to get the ball to in space. Oliver is a RB maybe?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins coached under Saban and did very well Saban from alll accounts. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Saban doesn’t give Jalen Hurts some idea to look at GT.

Don't think Collins was ever a coach under Saban. He was in charge of player personnel for 1 year. He left to go with GOL at UCF after the 1 year. Wonder if he was on staff when UCF beat UGA in the bowl...

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
And we went 7-5 every year, no ACC championship, no beating Georgia etc.
So you meant to say we couldn't execute a pro style offense, not that we couldn't recruit to one. We have offered 4 and 5 star players the last 11 years. We just didn't close on them and I am sure our offensive system was one of the reasons.

Bottom line we won't know what our offense looks like until we get an OC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And we went 7-5 every year, no ACC championship, no beating Georgia etc.

Have you watched the pro game lately? The best offenses incorporate some form of option, RPO, and vertical Air Raid/RnS schemes. It ain't our father's 2TE and a fullback NFL.

I think CGC said NFL offense because it was a subtle recruiting signal that he wanted recruits to hear. He brought up NFL a few times because I think he understands the negative recruiting that was going on under CPJ: Your chances of going to the NFL takes a hit playing in that offense.

CGC didn't get here because he's dumb. Did you like how he dropped the "Yep, quite a few of my texts are from tightend recruits..."? Again, another signal to recruits that theres opportunity at GT because of the new offense.

He has a reputation for being a savvy and good recruiter for a reason. His presser was as good of a recruiting pitch for GT as I've heard in a while.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Something tells me Sisk won't be retained. S&C coach is one of the most important on the entire staff, and HCs usually like to work with one of their "own".
I hope Sisk stays. He is a fantastic S&C Coach. Will went from 254 17% body fat to 296 14% body fat in 1 year ( was then told to lose weight ) one coach does not know the difference in fat and muscle, its just weight. Will is going to be over 300 lbs for Pro Day and lean. Its the one area that you really can look in the mirror and see who puts in the work and who skates... If you want to improve something, improve the food. The S&C coaches are excellent. The Avitar is Will at 296 heading into his Soph year, he was put with the fat guys running at 5:30 am.

Last edited:

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I hope Sisk stays. He is a fantastic S&C Coach. Will went from 254 17% body fat to 296 14% body fat in 1 year ( was then told to lose weight ) one coach does not know the difference in fat and muscle, its just weight. Will is going to be over 300 lbs for Pro Day and lean. Its the one area that you really can look in the mirror and see who puts in the work and who skates... If you want to improve something, improve the food. The S&C coaches are excellent.
Thanks for the insight. Sorry Will doesn't have one more year to play in the new scheme and see how he could apply his talents there.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think Gantt is unfortunately going to be a big loser in the transition. Listed at 5'8" 170 (and he seems smaller in person). Don't think he would be able to play DB or Slot Receiver in the ACC. He would also be buried in the depth chart at RB. I think Cottrell is going to be fine. Super athletic guy that we just need to scheme to get the ball to in space. Oliver is a RB maybe?
I don't know. It may help Gantt if he can play slot receiver. He's shown pretty good hands in the Spring game. I figured the reason he wasn't seeing the field was blocking. Guess we'll find out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I hope Sisk stays. He is a fantastic S&C Coach. Will went from 254 17% body fat to 296 14% body fat in 1 year ( was then told to lose weight ) one coach does not know the difference in fat and muscle, its just weight. Will is going to be over 300 lbs for Pro Day and lean. Its the one area that you really can look in the mirror and see who puts in the work and who skates... If you want to improve something, improve the food. The S&C coaches are excellent. The Avitar is Will at 296 heading into his Soph year, he was put with the fat guys running at 5:30 am.

Thanks for the insight.

When a new staff comes in turnover is the unfortunate part of it.

Really enjoyed watching Will play for GT. His unselfishness and willingness to do what the team needed (sometimes to the detriment of his own football career) has not gone unnoticed by GT fans. He is the type of SA that GT football was built on.

I wish Will the best...and hopefully you'll stick around as your insight has been welcomed.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think many of the current staff will get to stay. This looks like a complete overhaul.

As far as the roster. Who knows. A lot of these backs may have to transfer out. Bruce Swilling maybe the most talented back on the team. We see he’s struggling at linebacker.

Then defensively will it be a 3-4 or 4-3. Will he want to move away from the hybrids?

Hopefully he’ll adjust to the current talent but a 7 year contract reads more like a scorch Earth build from the ground up philosophy to me.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the insight.

When a new staff comes in turnover is the unfortunate part of it.

Really enjoyed watching Will play for GT. His unselfishness and willingness to do what the team needed (sometimes to the detriment of his own football career) has not gone unnoticed by GT fans. He is the type of SA that GT football was built on.

I wish Will the best...and hopefully you'll stick around as your insight has been welcomed.
Thank you. Coach Sisk is in charge of the entire program, all sports. GT does not have the money for a Football only weight room and strength staff. GT has 1 weight room that everyone uses including cheerleaders etc. Sisk is excellent. The new Coach would be wise to keep him and his staff. Improve nutrition. Trying to eat to gain good weight in a GT cafeteria is tough.