QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yates is a 3 star.. (virtually all media ONLY use the composite(if not hyping their own service) ) ONE outlier rating service had him as a 4. That's a good thing sure, but i try to avoid over-hyping folks as it might lead to unrealistic expectations..
He probably missed out on being a true four star by about 2-3 inches in height.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yates is a 3 star.. (virtually all media ONLY use the composite(if not hyping their own service) ) ONE outlier rating service had him as a 4. That's a good thing sure, but i try to avoid over-hyping folks as it might lead to unrealistic expectations..

With recruiting sites going under, exactly who is 247 a composite of now?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's fine if there is clearly no number one. But if you have a legitimate #1 and 2 that are still ATL, it makes no sense in a close game to play the other 2, at least to me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Yes. Temple had two atl. And when the guy who started the first two games stunk the other guy took over and never looked back last year.

We are simply saying we have 3 qbs all about equal. So they are atl and will play. No separation

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just think about next year when there’s 5 players fighting for 1 spot.
So who and how many transfer next year. Gleason will more than likely redshirt but the remaining four have a lot of years of eligibility left. LJ could finish his degree and leave as a grad transfer with 2 years left unless he becomes the full time starter and wants to stay on the team. So far I don't see him clearly ahead of the others.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Freshmen couldn't play back then. Must have been a sophomore. I don't remember redshirting being used back then by Dodd. May have but don't remember it. Those were the days of freshman teams that played a short schedule.

You are exactly right. I was remembering the first year Lotheridge was eligible to play. I forgot that freshman played their own schedule back then, but at my age no foul. [emoji846]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...mean-for-georgia-tech/QuKqDugBBzNeiIq3ONAHMO/

Title says O-Line, but it's really about the QBs. Some interesting insight into CDPs thinking and strategy with the gameplan and QBs.

"Georgia Tech offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude had plans to show off more of the Yellow Jackets passing game Saturday against South Florida. Patenaude had intentions for quarterback Lucas Johnson to be aggressive in throwing the ball downfield. And then left guard Mikey Minihan and center Kenny Cooper both left the game with injuries before the first quarter was over... With the makeshift offensive line having some trouble against South Florida’s pass rush, including sophomore walk-on center William Lay playing in his first career game, Patenaude concentrated on a safer passing game."

I don't like it. But that tracks.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Boy. Brent Key really does not have much to work with around that offensive line. Pray that Cooper and Minihan get well soon, and stay healthy for the remaining schedule — and the rest of the OL starters need to stay healthy, too.

As for Patenaude, it looks like his three-quarterback-tryout program will continue, with three different sets of playbooks (one for each QB) remaining in place — further complicating the demands being asked of the offensive line ... as well as those of the RBs and WRs, too.

Hope it all works out.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So who and how many transfer next year. Gleason will more than likely redshirt but the remaining four have a lot of years of eligibility left. LJ could finish his degree and leave as a grad transfer with 2 years left unless he becomes the full time starter and wants to stay on the team. So far I don't see him clearly ahead of the others.

IMO, it's Gleason (He will be an early enrollee so will have some extra time that Yates didn't have this year), Yates and *maybe* one of our current 3 QB's competing for the spot next year, whichever one has the best year. Remember Oliver and/or Graham could switch positions. If Lucas doesn't look like a contender to start next year, a grad transfer down a level may be a good option for him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
With recruiting sites going under, exactly who is 247 a composite of now?

As far as I can tell, Rivals, 247, and ESPN. I trust Rivals alone more than even the composite, personally. They are way more on top of this stuff and have more analysts.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Boy. Brent Key really does not have much to work with around that offensive line. Pray that Cooper and Minihan get well soon, and stay healthy for the remaining schedule — and the rest of the OL starters need to stay healthy, too.

As for Patenaude, it looks like his three-quarterback-tryout program will continue, with three different sets of playbooks (one for each QB) remaining in place — further complicating the demands being asked of the offensive line ... as well as those of the RBs and WRs, too.

Hope it all works out.

It doesn’t really complicate things for the OL that much. So long as they’re doing the correct things (huddle, pre-snap reads, consistent and correct cadence, correct post snap reads) there’s really not that much difference between QBs for the OL.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t really complicate things for the OL that much. So long as they’re doing the correct things (huddle, pre-snap reads, consistent and correct cadence, correct post snap reads) there’s really not that much difference between QBs for the OL.
thanks for clarifying that - the center/QB exchange is a worry when you're under center and you swap QBs, but like you say it shouldn't matter if everyone does their job. Cadence didn't appear to be an issue as we only had 1 false start the entire game that seemed to be more of a result of USF guys dancing around at the LOS.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually liked a lot of what CDP had to say in his press conference. He did seem to be throwing the Oline under the bus a bit though and after rewatch much of the game I thought the oline played admirably. Not great, but not bad either. Oh well we will see.

Animal02

Banned
All this QB talk, but IMO the OL is the real issue. I'm a TO fan because he's the best runner of the group and makes big plays in big moments, but none of the guys are getting any time in the pocket. That is the biggest thing that will improve over time, and will help whoever plays QB.
It will not improve over time if they are splitting practice reps and game time 3 ways.