QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey guys, I am new here, been a GT fan for 11 years now. Go Jackets!

So I watched both the Clemson and USF game, and honestly I am not happy with the QB situation we are in. Going into the USF game I was thinking we need to start Oliver because Wisconsin ran all over USF so why not use our best runner? Instead we played Lucas Johnson.

I was not impressed with Johnson's play at all, he is our best passer supposedly, yet I felt like all the drives stalled with him in the shotgun. I am hoping we go with Graham as our starting QB he seems like the middle ground we need. He is a good passer, but also can run when he needs to. Having Graham back to pass, but with Oliver on the field as a receiver or a running back for option plays is what we should start focusing on in my opinion. Oliver is too good of a player not to be on the field, as a back, receiver, or for wildcat formations, but we need a passer who can still run as the QB and to me that's Graham.

I feel bad for Johnson, I really do, however I think his time passed. He got screwed and I just don't think he is our QB.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Graham's the guy, but it won't bother me much to see the 3- or 2- way platoon one more week since it's the Citadel. After Saturday, we need to settle on one. My guess is it will be Graham, with Oliver on the field a lot in the slot or in the backfield. Yeah, I know he hasn't had a lot of time in those positions, but what are you going to do? We're still in the experimental phase and that may last most of the year. All this is going to straighten itself out by the end of the season and we'll hit the ground running next year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Guys, while I have my now opinions based on what we have seen on the field the first two games, please let's remember that the coaches see these guys in practice A LOT more than we do. I am comfortable with letting them decide when and how to use them.

I am not a huge fan of "situational offense" as it is called....like bring in a running back to take the direct snap and run the ball, mostly because the defense knows what you are going to run. BUT, I am all about letting guys compete and rewarding those who do well in practice...at least, to a point. Let the coaches decide this stuff.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Oh, and iirc correctly, CPJ famously said of Graham that he will always make something happen when he plays. It might not always be good, but he will make *something* happen...LOL. My guess is the coaches want to see him control that tendency a bit better. You say it yesterday when he got a rush, ran straight backwards and then got sacked for something like a 12 yard loss. Drive-killer!

Let's watch this play out and see who performs best over time....

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
Y'all are being a little rough on LJ unless you know the plays called and everyone's assignment you are making a call about someone who picked your school . As far as I'm concerned we have some fans that need to go.
I agree...this was LJ’s first start in a college game and in 3 years...Graham is obviously not ready or they’d play him. TO is one dimensional...LJ will rise to the occasion...he just needs game reps. I’ve heard he is by far #1 in practice...so get the off this kids dismissal after 1 game...!!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree...this was LJ’s first start in a college game and in 3 years...Graham is obviously not ready or they’d play him. TO is one dimensional...LJ will rise to the occasion...he just needs game reps. I’ve heard he is by far #1 in practice...so get the off this kids dismissal after 1 game...!!

Whether he plays or starts or whatever, nobody should be running any player down. I assume all are doing their best, which is all anyone can do.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Y'all are being a little rough on LJ unless you know the plays called and everyone's assignment you are making a call about someone who picked your school . As far as I'm concerned we have some fans that need to go.
Well based on the Attendance yesterday some fans have already left..they gone...Even with all theis Hype that has not produced any results except a really ugly loos to s tem that is reaaly really bad...(USF)... this year will determine how the fan base grows or shrinks.. The last time we had a coaching change that coach won 20 games in his first two years and the fan base still shrunk.... Back to the topic... LJ had all spring since TO was hurt plus he has been in college for 4 years already....

I really do not care who the QB is as long as we can move the ball and Offense downfield.... the problem most GT fans have is that the QB of the Collins era is not on the roster yet.... They still think Lucas johnson is a P5 QB...He is not becuase if he was he would have outright won the job.. But he has not.... The Future QB of the Collins era is currently at Plant HS in Tampa.... That being said I want to win as many games as possible until we can get that kid on campus... So what does that mean..... Currently the one QB who can lead the O down field is Tobias Oliver.... However I am not opposed to sticking with 1 QB and working on things so we have a chance in a ACC game... Another thing that is clear to me is that we will not win an ACC game playing 3 QBs in a game..... So the staff should pick one and pick one soon and start getting ready... My vote just on the best chance to win a game...Tobias However I will take James Graham and TO at WR

Last edited:

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow

Settle down, Francis.

I'm not saying screw LJ and that he sucks and needs to be off the team or anything, I'm just stating that the 3 QB rotation we have going is not good.

Oliver has to be on the field, he's too good not to be. And watching LJ in the Clemson game and USF game he looked mediocre, just something seemed off, like he was scared or something, the offense felt slow and anemic with LJ in. Graham just has something about him, he looked good against Clemson, and I think he can make throws when we need him to, he needs to be the starter with Tobias Oliver on the field in another position. I feel bad for LJ, but I just don't feel like he is our guy.

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
Well based on the Attendance yesterday some fans have already left..they gone...Even with all theis Hype that has not produced any results except a really ugly loos to s tem that is reaaly really bad...(USF)... this year will determine how the fan base grows or shrinks.. The last time we had a coaching change that coach won 20 games in his first two years and the fan base still shrunk.... Back to the topic... LJ had all spring since TO was hurt plus he has been in college for 4 years already....

I really do not care who the QB is as long as we can move the ball and Offense downfield.... the problem most GT fans have is that the QB of the Collins era is not on the roster yet.... They still think Lucas johnson is a P5 QB...He is not becuase if he was he would have outright won the job.. But he has not.... The Future QB of the Collins era is currently at Plant HS in Tampa.... That being said I want to win as many games as possible until we can get that kid on campus... So what does that mean..... Currently the one QB who can lead the O down field is Tobias Oliver.... However I am not opposed to sticking with 1 QB and working on things so we have a chance in a ACC game... Another thing that is clear to me is that we will not win an ACC game playing 3 QBs in a game..... So the staff should pick one and pick one soon and start getting ready... My vote just on the best chance to win a game...Tobias However I will take James Graham and TO at WR
Get your facts straight...Lucas has been in school for 3 years...and in case you forgot, I’ll remind you...he was out all last year with a serious foot injury. From all accounts...he worked hard to get back on the field...which is really hard to do, with that kind of injury. In this kids defense...this is 1 game back...give him a chance, before you write him off to a FCS school and a place kicker holder...
BTW...there is absolutely nothing wrong with a FCS school too! My nephew plays for one...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Settle down, Francis.

I'm not saying screw LJ and that he sucks and needs to be off the team or anything, I'm just stating that the 3 QB rotation we have going is not good.

Oliver has to be on the field, he's too good not to be. And watching LJ in the Clemson game and USF game he looked mediocre, just something seemed off, like he was scared or something, the offense felt slow and anemic with LJ in. Graham just has something about him, he looked good against Clemson, and I think he can make throws when we need him to, he needs to be the starter with Tobias Oliver on the field in another position. I feel bad for LJ, but I just don't feel like he is our guy.
Look dude you have been a Tech fans 11 years wow > I have been a season ticket holder for 38 years. To start with I was'nt talking about you their were 2 others I was talking about . If you understand football he has been running with the 1's which tells me he has the tools. But has not seen the field for 3 years which means it will take time. I don't go to practice so I don't know but it pisses me off when so one calls out a player ( not you but the other 2) want to call out a coach fine they get paid. Oliver is good but did you see him playing Slot back ?

GTFLETCH

Banned
Get your facts straight...Lucas has been in school for 3 years...and in case you forgot, I’ll remind you...he was out all last year with a serious foot injury. From all accounts...he worked hard to get back on the field...which is really hard to do, with that kind of injury. In this kids defense...this is 1 game back...give him a chance, before you write him off to a FCS school and a place kicker holder...
BTW...there is absolutely nothing wrong with a FCS school too! My nephew plays for one...
Lucas Johnson
2016 (True Freshman): Redshirted.

2017 (Redshirt Freshman): Appeared in nine games as a backup behind starting quarterback TaQuon Marshall and, in the second half of the season, the holder on place kicks … Did not attempt a pass and only had one rush, a one-yarder in the season finale against Georgia (Nov. 25).

2018 (Redshirt Sophomore): Did not see game action after sustaining a season-ending foot injury during fall camp.

2019 (Redshirt Junior): Was granted extra year due to injury but should finish his 4year degree this year & could transfer and play two years at another school in 2020 and 2021.

FACTS: Could not beat out Taqoun Marshall in 2017.... Has not out right won the job yet this year!!!
IMHO: He is not the answer for GT, if he was he would have won the job outright at this point....You are correct there is nothing wrong with FCS, DIVII, DIV III or even NAIA athletics...

GTFootball2018

Georgia Tech Fan
Lucas Johnson
2016 (True Freshman): Redshirted.

2017 (Redshirt Freshman): Appeared in nine games as a backup behind starting quarterback TaQuon Marshall and, in the second half of the season, the holder on place kicks … Did not attempt a pass and only had one rush, a one-yarder in the season finale against Georgia (Nov. 25).

2018 (Redshirt Sophomore): Did not see game action after sustaining a season-ending foot injury during fall camp.

2019 (Redshirt Junior): Was granted extra year due to injury but should finish his 4year this year & could transfer and play two years at another school in 2020 and 2021.

FACTS: Could not beat out Taqoun Marshall in 2017.... Has not out right won the job yet this year!!!
IMHO: He is not the answer for GT, if he was he would have won the job outright at this point....You are correct there is nothing wrong with FCS, DIVII, DIV III or even NAIA athletics...
Either

GTFLETCH

Banned
Right...he’s just starting his 4th school year...TO and JG haven’t won it outright either...
However if you watched the game yesterday Tobias Oliver is teh only QB to move the Offense down the field on scoring drives ( LJ was instered to hand off to JP).. WO Tobias and teh TD run.. We do not win... FACTS... Can't say that about LJ... Why becuase he is not the answer....

I think LJ could be a decent QB given time. He does need to make quicker decisions and put his head down a bit more. Problem is he will not get the time. While I have seen written that Tech fans will allow a down year, well if it is 2-10 with blowouts by UGA and maybe UVA will that be acceptable? Will it hurt recruiting? Yes I think so. If CGC had inherited a bad team then yes give it time to grow, but he didn't. This was a 7 and could have been a 9 win team last year. If Graham is the guy, much like JT5 should have been over Vad Lee then play him. Although tell him he can't outrun the defense running backwards. If you want to go to just 2 QB's then Tobias is the starter as the proven QB and let him start throwing. As said he broke all of his high schools records for passing.