QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I hear what he’s saying, but I truly believe if he does this with his QBs for his entire tenure at Tech we will not be very successful on offense. Just my opinion.
If he does what you're suggesting (and I'm betting he doesn't) his tenure will be three years max. He has stepped into a craptastic situation and he's feeling his way out of it. The QB situation will look a whole bunch different this time next year but I'm betting this wheel o' QB's can't have much longer to run.

My money says TO starts the ACC run this year but by end of year Graham takes over with TO spelling him. I'm sorry for LJ but he's the odd man out.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think that TO at QB gives us the safest, most consistent production on offense, but having him as the guy may not work for the whole year. I think that JG should be starting with TO in the slot like we saw in the USF game. JG has been the only QB to even attempt a pass of 20+ yards that I can think of, and having TO in to get some runs and be an outside threat will slow defenses down. I really doubt we will see Yates for a while mainly due to the OL situation and not having a clear fall back solution among the older QBs. They will keep him developing safely (outside of games) until we can actually pass protect and as he comes up to speed in the college game. It's definitely going to get awkward next year when we have 5 QBs on scholarship, with the oldest being a double redshirt JR (Johnson with the 6th year).
After watching the last game and thinking about it being sober for 1/2 a day, I like TO but seeing him play at Slot back also I think the starter and backup will be LJ or JG. I could see JG getting more playing time this week . But I get the fact is I really have no idea just a guess.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
They are all competing out there giving them their best. Running the ball TO looks the best followed by JG. Throwing LJ looks about the same as JG. JG looks to be one who is willing to take a chance on some routes. I really think Citadel will hopefully the game where we get a clearer direction to which QB will lead us in ACC play. It's really hard to see how the QBs would play given our first game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really need to start drinking hell it's 5 pm somewhere. But thinking again about this ATL I'm fine with it for the defense but not the offense. CGC has been a very good defensive coordinator and it's great if you can play as many player as you can on defense. But IMO it don't work for offense . An offensive team needs to work on timing which is hard to do with 3 QB's playing in the game.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree and am Hopeful that Tucker Gleason is that recruit for next year...

The question becomes can we win during ACC play this year playing 3QBs and not sticking to one?? I guess we will find out soon enough.. Go Jackets!
Why does everyone just ignore Yates completely?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the film Saturday is not going to be about what JG does, but how he does it, his progressions, reads, choices, etc. He may be more successful on the field but exhibit a lesser understanding of the offense. It will be interesting to see if JG puts up decent numbers and then no play against Temple because he's not as far along as the other two. Personally, I have always liked LJ, but he hasn't looked good yet. TO has already demonstrated he can handle 1/2 the offense. The question is whether the other side will ever click with him.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I really need to start drinking hell it's 5 pm somewhere. But thinking again about this ATL I'm fine with it for the defense but not the offense. CGC has been a very good defensive coordinator and it's great if you can play as many player as you can on defense. But IMO it don't work for offense . An offensive team needs to work on timing which is hard to do with 3 QB's playing in the game.

Yeah the ATL concept works on Defense especially if all players are about same talent wise and you usually desire a heavier rotation anyways to keep people fresh. The offense considering were it is could definitely benefit with a smaller # of players particularly at the line and QB playing for experience. We aren't that deep there so we got to pull the best out of what we have my thinking the skill positions of WR/RB are "okay" by all circumstances

Back on the 3 QBs in question- I will say this LJ first real extending playing time he seem to break down and panic out of the pocket a few times when he didn't have too he had some cushion but unless everyone was blanket covered he seemingly panicked and got out of there sometimes when he still had more time.

I don't know it's hard to tell who was where on routes at that time was he being to timid in attempts, not scanning field or was just nothing there and he just figured go?

Animal02

Banned
Just the center / QB exchange by itself.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I understand that. But skipping over him for Gleason seems a bit quick and forgetful of yates

Yates will certainly get his chance. I think the people looking ahead to Gleason view him as this staffs first real QB get where Yates is viewed still as a Johnson recruit.

The other thing is if you look at offers, we're pretty far and away Yate's best offer by the looks of it. The article from when he committed lists Air force, UNI, Toledo, and Georgia State as his other offers. On the other hand Gleason is listed as having offers from Duke, UNC, Pitt, VT, and UGA. Pure speculation but my guess is bigger programs got word that Yates was dead set on at least starting at QB and so moved on, because he was pretty well rated. While I don't view it this way, I could see someone looking at the situation and seeing Yates in a similar light to Oliver where if he were being recruited now it's likely be as a different position and thus looking beyond him to Gleason at QB.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Here are my humble predicitions on each QB:

JG: the crowd favorite because he threw a TD pass against Clemson and hasn't screwed anything up (yet). He will be the starter by week 5.
TO: is a GREAT athlete and a fierce competitor. He will be a "wildcat" type QB and will play slot reciever some - he needs to be on the field as much as possible.
LJ: would have been a good option QB that could've connected downfield every 15 plays. I think he transfers at the end of this year.
JY: will be redshirted and possibly transfer at the end of the year.

Our starting QB for the next couple of years = Hasn't enrolled on campus yet.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
It's clear now that we desperately needed a grad transfer QB this year (e.g., Brandon Wimbush) for a stop-gap. I suspect we will be in the grad transfer market for next season because we will need depth. Even assuming Gleason enrolls, we will need more capable passers.

GT_EE78

Banned
if these discussions are lively , think what fun we'll have next year with these 3 plus Yates and Gleason.
Maybe CGC should recruit a 4/5 star guy and be done witth it ?