QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t make a lot of sense to have TO finish the first half strong and then come out in second half with Lucas. Not only come out, but keep sticking with him. Then have TO come back out for last drive when he needs a couple of first downs to kill the clock. TO should be starter with Graham a close second. The 3 QB experiment needs to end.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been critical of our OC and QBs. I rewatched the game film and have a slightly more forgiving perspective.

Don’t get me wrong, Lucas Johnson makes bad decisions and just doesn’t look comfortable. But there were multiple situations where USF sent the OLB and DE off the edge on a zone read play. The tackle's job is to release inside and take the B gap up to the next level. In that situation, if the QB gives to the RB, the DE is going to make the tackle untouched. Meanwhile, the QB has a no win situation with the OLB in his face.

The problem I’m seeing: there’s a lack of trust in this offense, so we’re not as liberal with audibles and we’re not installing nuanced versions of core plays. For example, on those zone reads, we should pull guards to pick up the DE. Not too different than we did on counter gives and reads. We've actually been fairly successful running those plays. But I get the sense that the staff has to manage the installation and play calling very gradually, and therefore we’re running discrete plays as opposed to nuanced versions of core plays.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been critical of our OC and QBs. I rewatched the game film and have a slightly more forgiving perspective.

Don’t get me wrong, Lucas Johnson makes bad decisions and just doesn’t look comfortable. But there were multiple situations where USF sent the OLB and DE off the edge on a zone read play. The tackle's job is to release inside and take the B gap up to the next level. In that situation, if the QB gives to the RB, the DE is going to make the tackle untouched. Meanwhile, the QB has a no win situation with the OLB in his face.

The problem I’m seeing: there’s a lack of trust in this offense, so we’re not as liberal with audibles and we’re not installing nuanced versions of core plays. For example, on those zone reads, we should pull guards to pick up the DE. Not too different than we did on counter gives and reads. We've actually been fairly successful running those plays. But I get the sense that the staff has to manage the installation and play calling very gradually, and therefore we’re running discrete plays as opposed to nuanced versions of core plays.

Thank you for sharing those insights. I'm really bad at recognizing those nuances and appreciate when others bring them to the board.

slugboy

Staff member

The problem I’m seeing: there’s a lack of trust in this offense, so we’re not as liberal with audibles and we’re not installing nuanced versions of core plays.

I’m not sure if it’s lack of trust. Based on Roddy Jones’ comments, it seems like it’s just not instinctive or automatic yet.

Small nuance, but they may believe in the offense, but they just need more time to get that checks and communication down. It was the same way for the last transition we made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Is that really a big deal in the shotgun? I don’t think it is. That’s all on the center in this offense isn’t it?

Have you not seen our snaps this year? Never mind....apparently not. Coach Key might be the best OL coach in the country. If so he must be truly amazing at everything but teaching shotgun snaps.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Have you not seen our snaps this year? Never mind....apparently not. Coach Key might be the best OL coach in the country. If so he must be truly amazing at everything but teaching shotgun snaps.
Why the snark Whiskey? I go to all the games. My point was that swapping QBs doesn’t impact the exchange. If the center snaps it sideways or on the ground, it’s not because Oliver just came in

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why the snark Whiskey? I go to all the games. My point was that swapping QBs doesn’t impact the exchange. If the center snaps it sideways or on the ground, it’s not because Oliver just came in

Those things do change. Voices are different, tendencies of different players are different. Under center or in the gun personnel changes affect things. But yes a horrible snap will be a horrible snap regardless of who is receiving it.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Those things do change. Voices are different, tendencies of different players are different. Under center or in the gun personnel changes affect things. But yes a horrible snap will be a horrible snap regardless of who is receiving it.
Yeah I’m not saying we don’t have issues. I’m a glass half full guy. We only had one false start last weekend. I think CDP would rather have one guy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Actually, it does. That is why they practice it in different combinations. The center snap may look the same to you in the stands, but every QBs hands are placed slightly different -- higher, lower -- and every center snaps at a different speed (some of them can pound the ball into the QBs hands, really pound it) and delivers it at a slightly different angle. Putting it on the ground can in fact be because Oliver just came in. That exchange is an art form, whether under center or shotgun. There the center does not want to knuckleball the thing back. (And at the same time he is snapping the center is charging out, hard. Try it sometime.)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, it does. That is why they practice it in different combinations. The center snap may look the same to you in the stands, but every QBs hands are placed slightly different -- higher, lower -- and every center snaps at a different speed (some of them can pound the ball into the QBs hands, really pound it) and delivers it at a slightly different angle. Putting it on the ground can in fact be because Oliver just came in. That exchange is an art form, whether under center or shotgun. There the center does not want to knuckleball the thing back. (And at the same time he is snapping the center is charging out, hard. Try it sometime.)
Agree when the QB is under center. Totally disagree when QB is in shotgun. Doesn't make a lick of difference to the center who is receiving the shotgun snap. He snaps the ball to a spot and then blocks.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Agree when the QB is under center. Totally disagree when QB is in shotgun. Doesn't make a lick of difference to the center who is receiving the shotgun snap. He snaps the ball to a spot and then blocks.
Finally someone sees my point. Thank you sir.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
If you say so. I’m skeptical. But let’s assume that the center is the same guy all game. Takes your “every center is different” point completely away. Are you saying that Lay is snapping differently to all 3 QBs? Oliver likes a bullet, but Graham likes it with less spin?