QB Situation

Week 3: Who will lead the first offensive series for GT?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Tobias Oliver

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • James Graham

Votes: 67 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Isn't that what GT did for the last 11 years?

And people complained the all or nothing pass plays. LJ was 11/17 for 45 yards. I want our players to succeed. He did a great job scrambling on that third down. He did a great job throwing it up to give our WR a play or get PI. I want to see some series either with JG and no TO or getting a couple pass plays to TO to try and give him space to work. I feel like we are down a receiving threat with TO out there.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Isn't that what GT did for the last 11 years?
I'm not sure what you're saying. Under CPJ we were usually in like the top 15 in big pass plays, typically averaging like 17 yards per pass. Now, with a "modern" offense, we will have to show that we have plays that can move the ball further than 3 yards consistently.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the reason the coach like Waffle House so much?:LOL::LOL::LOL:
The dark cloud speaks and shade comes forth.
You don't seem to get it that tstan approves of win in change the culture/ win in practice and u play .

U and cheese thought tstan liked juice.

It s game 3 after we were smothered and fried cripy by Minnesota!

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
talkin' bout practice
upload_2019-9-13_14-49-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-13_13-0-25.png
    upload_2019-9-13_13-0-25.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 15

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are documenting all the shaders.

The dark cloud speaks and shade comes forth.
You don't seem to get it that tstan approves of win in change the culture/ win in practice and u play .

U and cheese thought tstan liked juice.

It s game 3 after we were smothered and fried cripy by Minnesota!

You sure do take opposing viewpoints personally. :D

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Guys we are talking Citadel who gave up 28 to Towson and 35 to Elon surely one would think any of the 3 Qbs could score 21 points. And if we play all 3 again we should score at least 17. Fact is all 3 Qbs are the best athletes that Citsdel will play this year

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I just watched the first half of the USF game courtesy of GT Bob. Oliver in my opinion was the best of the QBs. He led the team to the only two scores.

He is a gamer. Not to dis any of the QBs, but he looked the best in the first half. Will be interesting to see how the game goes tomorrow.

LibertyTurns

Banned
All I know is Harvin punted 35 times in 13 games last year. He’s punted 14 times already. This crap has to stop. I don’t care who the QB is we’ve got to stop this damn punting crap. 2-3 times a game is ok just so we remember we have a punter but I’m not real sure that’s even a good idea. 7 times a game is nauseating. Pure crap. You gotta throw the damn ball more than 3 yds down field otherwise we’re going to have a season full of punting highlights.

Animal02

Banned
All I know is Harvin punted 35 times in 13 games last year. He’s punted 14 times already. This crap has to stop. I don’t care who the QB is we’ve got to stop this damn punting crap. 2-3 times a game is ok just so we remember we have a punter but I’m not real sure that’s even a good idea. 7 times a game is nauseating. Pure crap. You gotta throw the damn ball more than 3 yds down field otherwise we’re going to have a season full of punting highlights.
But but but genius coaches that will lead us to multiple NCs. :rolleyes:

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
So Graham is the only QB netting a positive play per attempt?
That's a little too narrow bc sacks, and it really just shows what eyeballs saw. This isn't that much better, but their ypp are Oliver 4.39, Johnson 3.72, Graham 6.05. Obviously not enough plate appearances yet.

On a rant, they talk a lot about "analytics", but basing everything on catapult numbers doesn't do as much for the offense as it does the D. Like ATL, I have a lingering concern that we are seeing CPJ in reverse in some ways. Player load metrics are great for figuring out when to sit a defensive lineman, and probably an OL/RB too, but it has very little to do with QB or WR...unless we keep running the option.

I actually think that they have thought of all this, but focusing on effort or even execution (if it's not ultimately linked directly to production) for a quarterback is a bad idea. Just like one wants an effort based pitching staff, no one wants an effort based spread passing game. The "4 inches" that CDP is talking about on the Camp seam route is not just the difference between good numbers and bad, it's actually very measurable if you have thousands of practice reps. MLB started tracking this stuff for a reason, but their experience shows that it takes a really long time to get useful information. But when you have it, you'll know the probability of him making a catch at deeper ranges -- basically a spray chart --which then you can layer that with fatigue, opponents, coverages, situations, etc.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-13_20-44-0.png
    upload_2019-9-13_20-44-0.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 14

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you say so. I’m skeptical. But let’s assume that the center is the same guy all game. Takes your “every center is different” point completely away. Are you saying that Lay is snapping differently to all 3 QBs? Oliver likes a bullet, but Graham likes it with less spin?
I am saying, I suppose, that not every QB wants the ball in the same place at the same -- for lack of a better word -- velocity. Some QB's prefer the ball snapped at the waist or slightly below and they will play it like an infielder, bringing the ball up into the position rather than down. One can't legislate or coachilate personal foibles and preferences.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Incidentally, having to do with not much at all except it is a great anecdote and true. Way back when there was a legendary sports editor, Stanley Woodward, who covered Army one year when they played ND, I think, but another college powerhouse. Army was favored. Army got killed by several touchdowns. Army coach Red Blaik said afterwards that the "difference in the game" was "a small quarter-turn in the center snap to to the quarterback." Woodward wrote that "That is like blaming the Johnstown flood on a leaky toilet in Altoona."

Animal02

Banned
I am saying, I suppose, that not every QB wants the ball in the same place at the same -- for lack of a better word -- velocity. Some QB's prefer the ball snapped at the waist or slightly below and they will play it like an infielder, bringing the ball up into the position rather than down. One can't legislate or coachilate personal foibles and preferences.
And there is also a timing of the snap count that you get accustom to between the QB and the Center......as well as the rest of the O Line that can give you a slight edge