Preseason Depth Chart

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
New coaches, new terminology. It creates hiccups. Throw in learning new techniques and the new system install can give some headaches.

All of that is outside his control. He just needs to buy in, roll with the punches, and grind through it all. I think he’ll be fine and have liked what I’ve seen from him in games.

I’d personally like to see him slim down and go the DE route rather than split time at both positions. But there is a reason Woody gets paid the big bucks while I’m just in the stands making noise.

But we have a lot more question marks on D than many here want to believe. Hopefully we have more answers in the fall than I see currently.

It is said: "Players play, coaches coach, fans cheer"... to which I would add as Tech fans "...gripe, ***** about uniforms, complain about not passing on first down, complain about passing on first down, etc."

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Based on what we’ve heard/seen this is how my lineup would look.

DE: Branch, Owens, Saint-Amour, Merriweather, Dawson
NT: Branch, Cerge-Henderson, Martin
ILB: Mitchell, Swilling, Quez Jackson, David Curry
OLB: Alexander, Henderson, Dingle or Domineck
Stinger: Henderson, Johnson, Thomas
CB: (not in order) Swilling, Askew, Simmons, Kerr
S: Carpenter, Campbell, Oliver (probably could play stinger as well)

QB: Marshall, Johnson, Oliver
Bback: Benson, Howard, Ponchez-Mason
Aback: Lynch, Searcy, Cottrell, Jarrett
C: Cooper, Lee
OG: Braun, Bryan, Morgan, Hansen
OT: Lee, Marshall, Bryan
WR: Camp, Stewart, Dolphus

This looks to be one of the most athletic rosters I’ve seen in a long time, more depth as well. The secondary is a little bit of an unknown, but them guys have size and athleticism for sure. Hopefully the front 7 can do something’s to make the DB’s job easier. On offense hopefully 1 or 2 guys emerge on the OL and someone at WR. This could be a special year if things fall into place.

Based on what we’ve heard/seen this is how my lineup would look.

DE: Branch, Owens, Saint-Amour, Merriweather, Dawson
NT: Branch, Cerge-Henderson, Martin
ILB: Mitchell, Swilling, Quez Jackson, David Curry
OLB: Alexander, Henderson, Dingle or Domineck
Stinger: Henderson, Johnson, Thomas
CB: (not in order) Swilling, Askew, Simmons, Kerr
S: Carpenter, Campbell, Oliver (probably could play stinger as well)

QB: Marshall, Johnson, Oliver
Bback: Benson, Howard, Ponchez-Mason
Aback: Lynch, Searcy, Cottrell, Jarrett
C: Cooper, Lee
OG: Braun, Bryan, Morgan, Hansen
OT: Lee, Marshall, Bryan
WR: Camp, Stewart, Dolphus

This looks to be one of the most athletic rosters I’ve seen in a long time, more depth as well. The secondary is a little bit of an unknown, but them guys have size and athleticism for sure. Hopefully the front 7 can do something’s to make the DB’s job easier. On offense hopefully 1 or 2 guys emerge on the OL and someone at WR. This could be a special year if things fall into place.

Just a couple comments.

NT should probably be Cerge-Henderson, Adams, Martin.

Curry should probably be 2nd or 3rd in the lineup at ILB since he and Swilling are prabably 1A and 1B on one side.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just a couple comments.

NT should probably be Cerge-Henderson, Adams, Martin.

Curry should probably be 2nd or 3rd in the lineup at ILB since he and Swilling are prabably 1A and 1B on one side.
Yea, I put Adams there because he seemed to get more push when I saw him playing, and Curry seems to be injured a lot. I definitely see where you are coming from though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I think he’s taking some time to learn the new D. Someone posted the video of him talking about it, I just don’t know where it’s at lol.
I recently watched that video and he said he was cross-training end and nose. He said he was having difficulty learning the stance they wanted him to have. Said he's been playing football since he was 5 and it's hard to change something you've been doing your whole life. He also made a big deal about the Dline being visual learners and the new coaching staff not getting it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I recently watched that video and he said he was cross-training end and nose. He said he was having difficulty learning the stance they wanted him to have. Said he's been playing football since he was 5 and it's hard to change something you've been doing your whole life. He also made a big deal about the Dline being visual learners and the new coaching staff not getting it.
its Weird, he definitely didn’t seem happy in the video, the rest of the D players seem pleased though.

kirkbenson71

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow.... normally I do not comment on here but I received so many calls about why I am not responding to post about my son. So I address the concerns one time. My feelings are simple, my son balls. We do not care about the non supporters. Those of you that support and acknowledge what Kirvonte brought last season... it's all love, those that disrespect... Keep it up... your adding to the 2k yards he'll get this season. Now those that ask me about the Mills and Howard stuff. Here it is... Kirvonte Benson is the starting Bback. If you, Mills, or Howard want the spot come take it from him. We show up every Weds and Sunday at the indoor since he got back to 100%, winter, spring, summer, and fall and it's always empty... that's kirvonte benson. You can respect my son's game or disrespect my son's game, in any way you see fit but the fact of the matter is he puts in work for this team. And like I told him since we was 2 yrs old people that talk do not do anything. So please by all means keep talking!

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Wow.... normally I do not comment on here but I received so many calls about why I am not responding to post about my son. So I address the concerns one time. My feelings are simple, my son balls. We do not care about the non supporters. Those of you that support and acknowledge what Kirvonte brought last season... it's all love, those that disrespect... Keep it up... your adding to the 2k yards he'll get this season. Now those that ask me about the Mills and Howard stuff. Here it is... Kirvonte Benson is the starting Bback. If you, Mills, or Howard want the spot come take it from him. We show up every Weds and Sunday at the indoor since he got back to 100%, winter, spring, summer, and fall and it's always empty... that's kirvonte benson. You can respect my son's game or disrespect my son's game, in any way you see fit but the fact of the matter is he puts in work for this team. And like I told him since we was 2 yrs old people that talk do not do anything. So please by all means keep talking!
I hope that no one is doubting his ability. Dude had a great year as a sophomore, and I expect even bigger things this year out of him. He is exciting to watch and I think he is the most gifted back that we have had since Dwyer. Maybe he will turn out better than Dwyer. Sounds like he has put in a lot of work in the off season. Let's hope it pays off! I'll be screaming my head off for him and the team at the opener.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Most on here have close to zero knowledge of the program and are just spit ballin' blindly. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, especially the detractors. I, for one, am super psyched about KB and what he brings the team. He has everything you want in a Bback, power, speed, vision, ball security, but most of all he's so darn hard to tackle!

Keep posting, we need guys with actual insight posting rather than what we usually get.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Idk why anyone would down someone that works their butt of for GT. I think everyone should be greatful for what he did last year, and most appreciate his hard work. I will ask though, 2000 yards? Is that you just exaggerating trying to show he will have a really good year? That’s over 160 a game, and CPJ has already stated he wanted to get Howard in more to keep Benson fresher in games. Serious question, not trying to throw shade.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Kirvonte did great last year and has every opportunity to do even better this year. He has potential to be at the top of Tech SAs in history, although there's a lot between now and then. If Howard or someone else is able to compete at that level or take the spot from him, then that's really exciting for GT and a big change from where we've been lately. Personally I hope Howard is able to compete at a high level and expect him to get a fair share of PT. Much of that hope is to help Kirvonte stay rested and healthy.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Lol how is this even a discussion? Kirvonte played great last year. WTF more are we asking out of him? I'm all for Howard getting more playing time because I think a 70/30 to 60/40 B-Back split is healthy for an offense (same for traditional RB's). I just don't understand why we even think Kirvonte was even remotely of an issue last year.