Preseason Depth Chart

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I hope that no one is doubting his ability. Dude had a great year as a sophomore, and I expect even bigger things this year out of him. He is exciting to watch and I think he is the most gifted back that we have had since Dwyer. Maybe he will turn out better than Dwyer. Sounds like he has put in a lot of work in the off season. Let's hope it pays off! I'll be screaming my head off for him and the team at the opener.

I am glad that Kirvonte is on our team. He NEVER gives less than 100%. That said, Jerry is nice to have also. B back is in good hands with those two young men. Just get them some blocking and the merest threat of a pass and we will be cooking. I missed Mills and then Marshall but they went shopping so the next guy was KB and he has taken advantage of the opportunity. There are some other opportunities for guys to step up like at wide receiver, offensive tackle, and practically the entire defense. If you want to play best be getting on it because it will soon be too late to get better.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You need to calm tf down. The problem with someone in your position is it's impossible to not take these comments personally, being as it's your son I can understand that. So I'll say it like this just one time, don't try me like that. You're basically saying that I'm not supporting your son when that's not the case. My history of support speaks for itself.

If someone said Lendale White should've been starting over Reggie Bush that didn't mean they were bashing Bush. Your comments about Mills makes absolutely no sense, that's why I'm thinking you're emotional right now and not rational. I understand that you take these words personally whether they're true or not, because that's your blood. That I understand, but I want to clarify before you go trying to smear what I was saying. Saying Howard is better is in no way tearing down your son.

Respectfully, disagree with the assertion that Jerry is "better". Somewhat different style but the job is Kirvonte's to lose. There will be more than enough carries for both of them this fall. Nobody on that team gets hit harder on a regular basis than the B back. Man, sometimes I think you have to be borderline crazy to play that position but it is about as close to a marquee type position in this offense as can be imagined.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, disagree with the assertion that Jerry is "better". Somewhat different style but the job is Kirvonte's to lose. There will be more than enough carries for both of them this fall. Nobody on that team gets hit harder on a regular basis than the B back. Man, sometimes I think you have to be borderline crazy to play that position but it is about as close to a marquee type position in this offense as can be imagined.
The way our Bbacks run, it's the D that takes the beating. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be tackling them.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Taquon Marshall will need to be much more effective throwing down field and pitching out to our A-Backs, so this offense can become a real triple threat. Our B-Backs will be solid with Benson and Howard. Need to see our A-Backs in the open field making big plays.
I know with QBs the saying is that if you have 2 quarterbacks you have none, but I think a 2 or 3 headed monster at BB would lead to a huge set of fresh legs late in the game.

What is the general thought on a 3 headed system ar BB? Too many backs to split carries across?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
You know who Benson reminds me of? Mike Tyson. And, I mean that as a great compliment ... you know, without the crazy. Maybe it's because of the compact power and the soft-spokenness - like stick of dynamite ... seems gentle but causes fear.

Bingo.

I have to admit, I was worried before the Tennessee game. I don't want to get carried away, but I'll say this, he'll be just a junior this season. Think about that.

Milwaukee

Banned

They're both beasts imo. I think Jerry is bigger, stronger, and faster with the ball in his hands. Jerry's just a freak of nature. KB as soon as he even senses someone in his area he covers the ball with both hands, which I love.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
They're both beasts imo. I think Jerry is bigger, stronger, and faster with the ball in his hands. Jerry's just a freak of nature. KB as soon as he even senses someone in his area he covers the ball with both hands, which I love.
I don’t think Jerry is stronger, yet. KB is a bowling ball, and he’s not slow.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow.... normally I do not comment on here but I received so many calls about why I am not responding to post about my son. So I address the concerns one time. My feelings are simple, my son balls. We do not care about the non supporters. Those of you that support and acknowledge what Kirvonte brought last season... it's all love, those that disrespect... Keep it up... your adding to the 2k yards he'll get this season. Now those that ask me about the Mills and Howard stuff. Here it is... Kirvonte Benson is the starting Bback. If you, Mills, or Howard want the spot come take it from him. We show up every Weds and Sunday at the indoor since he got back to 100%, winter, spring, summer, and fall and it's always empty... that's kirvonte benson. You can respect my son's game or disrespect my son's game, in any way you see fit but the fact of the matter is he puts in work for this team. And like I told him since we was 2 yrs old people that talk do not do anything. So please by all means keep talking!

If we love him but are intentionally, publically skeptical pf his game will that make it 3k yards or does he understand faux complaining and it doesn't drive him? Is he more a Jordan/Kobe and finds the smallest critisism a slight and uses it to drive himself?

Thanks for posting!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
KB as soon as he even senses someone in his area he covers the ball with both hands, which I love.
This is what I came in to post. Love the ball security and that may be something that he has that Howard doesn’t...

I’d much rather have a back that gets a little less yardage but fumbles less frequently.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m just blown away by how well CPJ has recruited the BBack position. Were it not for transfers and stupid off-the-field decisions, Kirvonte would likely have been the third-stringer going into last season. Despite our issues in the passing game and our QB’s struggles with making reads, Kirvonte looked as good as any BBack I’ve seen at Tech (before y’all jump on me, Dwyer was before I got to Tech). If we can get the reads and passing game down, our offense is going to shred some defenses this year.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I’m just blown away by how well CPJ has recruited the BBack position. Were it not for transfers and stupid off-the-field decisions, Kirvonte would likely have been the third-stringer going into last season.
Seriously. Over the last few years we've lost Custis, Leggett, Lands-Davis, Marshall, and Mills to non-football reasons. Several of those guys (Custis and Mills in particular) carried loads of hype and we STILL ended up with a running back as capable as Benson. Behind him is Howard, Ponchez-Mason, and Malloy, so I am feeling very comfortable moving forward.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm definitely not worried about the running back position this year. I think we are good on that. I am concerned about O-line depth and the secondary. We lost AJ Gray, Cory Griffin, the Austin twins, and Step Durham. Thats a lot of experience. I'm interested to see who steps up this year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Has Coach Paul Johnson ever played the wrong player? KirVonte is the starter for a reason.
First off, I love Benson, so my comment is NOT about him.

Has CPJ ever played the wrong player? I think emphatically yes. I will go to my grave believing that in modern college football, you *must* have a legitimate passing threat. I think CPJ (whom I generally love) will choose the guys who reads better than the better passer. I get why he makes that choice, I just happen to strongly disagree.

First off, I love Benson, so my comment is NOT about him.

Has CPJ ever played the wrong player? I think emphatically yes. I will go to my grave believing that in modern college football, you *must* have a legitimate passing threat. I think CPJ (whom I generally love) will choose the guys who reads better than the better passer. I get why he makes that choice, I just happen to strongly disagree.

Duke 2014 comes to mind. If coach makes the qb change to start the second half, I think we win that one going away.