Preseason Depth Chart

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I had the same "biggest question". This pretty much answers it. Sounds like he had a tough spring, hasn't found his position in the new D and isn't in sync with the new coaches just yet. He's got the size and ability, hopefully he blows it up in preseason camp.

Brentavious will be fine if he will stick with it and continue to do the things needed to get better. His daddy won't let him quit. Albany's own.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer still had his breakaway speed in 09. This "he got slower" was all just chatter cause he put on some weight. Still burned.

Go watch the FSU tape, the Wake tape, etc etc etc

I can't remember him ever being caught from behind. When he got behind the defense, it was burnt toast.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I had the same "biggest question". This pretty much answers it. Sounds like he had a tough spring, hasn't found his position in the new D and isn't in sync with the new coaches just yet. He's got the size and ability, hopefully he blows it up in preseason camp.

New coaches, new terminology. It creates hiccups. Throw in learning new techniques and the new system install can give some headaches.

All of that is outside his control. He just needs to buy in, roll with the punches, and grind through it all. I think he’ll be fine and have liked what I’ve seen from him in games.

I’d personally like to see him slim down and go the DE route rather than split time at both positions. But there is a reason Woody gets paid the big bucks while I’m just in the stands making noise.

But we have a lot more question marks on D than many here want to believe. Hopefully we have more answers in the fall than I see currently.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We do indeed have more questions on defense than some would like to admit. Woody will bring new enthusiasm, new schemes, and different ideas to be sure but this is not like waving a magic wand and our problems disappear overnight. It will be a long hard road but we will see.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We do indeed have more questions on defense than some would like to admit. Woody will bring new enthusiasm, new schemes, and different ideas to be sure but this is not like waving a magic wand and our problems disappear overnight. It will be a long hard road but we will see.

Lalalalalala I'm not listening

Mom?! Tell the mean man to stop saying that new DC is not a magic wand!!

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I am all for using the big lineup -- Jerry at BB, kirvonte and JPM at A, Jalen hand on the ground with line over and if Dolphus can catch a jump ball, split him at wr on the over side.

With ABs I think we should put the best players on the field if they can handle the cross training.

The last time I think we tried a Power I was in 2009 (Clemson Game 1) and I believe it was blown up.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

Not saying Woody's in the same league, but Edsall turned the defense around in one year (and then left). The Fridge turned the O around in one year. Patrick Nix turned Miami's offense around in one year;).

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

This is fair, but I think we will have some inconsistency and holes, with an increased rate of negative plays and fewer coverage breakdowns. I don't expect us to magically mount a top defense, but I do expect those differences to pay dividends right away.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
The last time I think we tried a Power I was in 2009 (Clemson Game 1) and I believe it was blown up.
I don't mean a power I, you lose the advantage of the passing game.

I just think we should get the best players on the field, and our A's were very small last year. Kirvonte would be very difficult to handle on a rocket toss.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
On Def,expect to see more sacks and TFLs.Also expect to see more big plays given up as somebody/s gets lost/confused . Also, the better the team the more likely the breakdown will happen probably.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is fair, but I think we will have some inconsistency and holes, with an increased rate of negative plays and fewer coverage breakdowns. I don't expect us to magically mount a top defense, but I do expect those differences to pay dividends right away.
Could be. I pray that come November we will not be looking back fondly at the days of the "leaky Roof" defense which an honest person will admit was effective at times.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not saying Woody's in the same league, but Edsall turned the defense around in one year (and then left). The Fridge turned the O around in one year. Patrick Nix turned Miami's offense around in one year;).
I will never understand what Coach Shannon was thinking in hiring Patrick Nix. That one move probably contributed more to his ultimate dismissal than anything else.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lalalalalala I'm not listening

Mom?! Tell the mean man to stop saying that new DC is not a magic wand!!

Very funny. Do you recall similar enthusiasm for Coaches Roof, Groh, Edsall, etc.? Yes, well, maybe just maybe its not just the coaching. I suspect that our problems on defense are much deeper than schemes and coaching. IMHO

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember any excitement for Roof.

Groh had a lot of excitement though

That is how I remember it as well. Coach Groh was an excellent coach in his day but by the time he got to Tech the game had passed him by. That game against Middle Tennessee was pure embarrassment. Amazingly enough, it seems that I remember the very same defense turning around and playing very well against Clemson just a couple of weeks later. As far as Coach Roof is concerned, understated might just as well be his middle name even so, he improved recruiting and did some good things just not enough. I know it is hard to quantify these things but his goose was cooked by the Miami game but we will never know. PJ may have already decided to move on even before the great "bubble screen debacle".