Preseason Depth Chart

Milwaukee

Banned
Wow.... normally I do not comment on here but I received so many calls about why I am not responding to post about my son. So I address the concerns one time. My feelings are simple, my son balls. We do not care about the non supporters. Those of you that support and acknowledge what Kirvonte brought last season... it's all love, those that disrespect... Keep it up... your adding to the 2k yards he'll get this season. Now those that ask me about the Mills and Howard stuff. Here it is... Kirvonte Benson is the starting Bback. If you, Mills, or Howard want the spot come take it from him. We show up every Weds and Sunday at the indoor since he got back to 100%, winter, spring, summer, and fall and it's always empty... that's kirvonte benson. You can respect my son's game or disrespect my son's game, in any way you see fit but the fact of the matter is he puts in work for this team. And like I told him since we was 2 yrs old people that talk do not do anything. So please by all means keep talking!

You need to calm tf down. The problem with someone in your position is it's impossible to not take these comments personally, being as it's your son I can understand that. So I'll say it like this just one time, don't try me like that. You're basically saying that I'm not supporting your son when that's not the case. My history of support speaks for itself.

If someone said Lendale White should've been starting over Reggie Bush that didn't mean they were bashing Bush. Your comments about Mills makes absolutely no sense, that's why I'm thinking you're emotional right now and not rational. I understand that you take these words personally whether they're true or not, because that's your blood. That I understand, but I want to clarify before you go trying to smear what I was saying. Saying Howard is better is in no way tearing down your son.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
They need to figure out how to use Kirvonte more is the only thing I can see... Put him at A-Back sometimes and let him and Howard be on the field at the same time, etc.
I don't get this either. The strength of our offense is our AB experience. Why should we move someone else there with no experience?

You need to calm tf down. The problem with someone in your position is it's impossible to not take these comments personally, being as it's your son I can understand that. So I'll say it like this just one time, don't try me like that. You're basically saying that I'm not supporting your son when that's not the case. My history of support speaks for itself.

If someone said Lendale White should've been starting over Reggie Bush that didn't mean they were bashing Bush. Your comments about Mills makes absolutely no sense, that's why I'm thinking you're emotional right now and not rational. I understand that you take these words personally whether they're true or not, because that's your blood. That I understand, but I want to clarify before you go trying to smear what I was saying. Saying Howard is better is in no way tearing down your son.
What on earth is your basis for saying Jerry Howard is better? He had 23 carries last year on completely fresh legs, we don't know what he would've done carrying the ball 20+ times a game. Sure we all saw some good things but KB was a workhorse and produced consistently. He did more in one game against Pitt than Howard did all year. I'm not discrediting Jerry at all and he certainly could be better, but until he shows it on the field, it's stupid to even make this statement.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm not discrediting Jerry at all and he certainly could be better

Yes you are, according to that parent.

The entire discussion is sticky when we start comparing players to other players especially when a parent is involved. We voice our opinions year round, but hit a nerve with a parent and they jump on and start barking. Look I get it, but don't bark up my tree.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope Howard earns more playing time this year, and that is not anything against Kirvonte. Rather, I want a rested and strong Benson in the 4th quarter of games this year as we burn clock and seal victories. And I want a healthy and strong Benson in the backfield for the Georgia and later games. That means I don't want Kirvonte toting the rock 40 times a game. The more playing time Howard (or another B-Back) earns in the early and mid-season means better chance of success at the end of the season.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yes you are, according to that parent.

The entire discussion is sticky when we start comparing players to other players especially when a parent is involved. We voice our opinions year round, but hit a nerve with a parent and they jump on and start barking. Look I get it, but don't bark up my tree.
a) Nothing about that post is discrediting Jerry Howard. My whole point is we haven't seen enough of Jerry to sit here and say he's better than Benson who produced at a very high level last year.
b) I don't give a crap about whether someone's parent responded here. I'm not sure why you're even using that as a response to me.
c) You did not answer my question.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like the Jerry at B, Kirvonte at A lineup.

But I also want Taquon or James Graham returning punts and kickoffs.

And I thought we should have put Jay Jones on the field somehow if he is a "better athlete" than TM. We have limited depth, but some of our guys are beasts. Kirvonte is one of them, and I think he would be killer on the rocket toss and counter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I worry about howard when the d is focused on stopping the dive. howard reminds me of s days. both hit line quickly and in the direction the play was called. It took a while before days would slant slightly and make good yardage out of a bad situation.
i see that benson sometimes reads before he hits and that prevents him from running into the aft part of a blocker that got stuffed. benson seems to find a hole and fights for every inch. Every now and then benson finds a seam for a big game.
That 15 gain that's off the called blocking lane sure reminds me of laskey.
Imo - these 2 (benson and howard) complement each other. Last year was YEAR 1!!!
I am optimistic that sewak and Coach have the OL well prepared. The ol is like first gear in our offense.

At this time I am predicting each bb will have long tds runs in our 3 plus 30 point victories
Espn baby!

PS papa benson - there is a hs rb here in pensacola that gt is quietly watching . He has same build and direction shift as baby benson. i predict benson and benson wanna be BOTH have big games 1, 2, 3 which make them team leaders.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kirvonte rocked last year. I do think Kirvonte was rode very hard in 2017.

I do not, I say again, NOT, think Kirvonte should be at A-Back. He is good right were he is...

I do hope we have someone really good to relieve Kirvonte and keep him and the team strong to the end.

I am not sure if I could read these boards if my son played... this is like reading everyone's thoughts and how ugly that would be in person...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
For those who forgot what KB brings to the table:

The run vs UM where KB gets hit deep in the backfield, shucks the tackle, squeezes between two blocks and finishes through contact for 14-15 yards and first down shows exactly what he brings to the table, and should get anyone who watches it fired up for fall!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The way I read this vent as a parent ( my son as a example ) is Im ok with someone having a opinion, just don't say anything neg about the effort he puts into the sport. Everyone has a opinion. I think Benson balls, and I'm happy to have him! With social media today, these kids have to be made of teflon. Looking forward to a Healthy Winning season! GATA!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I worry about howard when the d is focused on stopping the dive. howard reminds me of s days. both hit line quickly and in the direction the play was called. It took a while before days would slant slightly and make good yardage out of a bad situation.
i see that benson sometimes reads before he hits and that prevents him from running into the aft part of a blocker that got stuffed. benson seems to find a hole and fights for every inch. Every now and then benson finds a seam for a big game.
That 15 gain that's off the called blocking lane sure reminds me of laskey.
Imo - these 2 (benson and howard) complement each other. Last year was YEAR 1!!!
I am optimistic that sewak and Coach have the OL well prepared. The ol is like first gear in our offense.

At this time I am predicting each bb will have long tds runs in our 3 plus 30 point victories
Espn baby!

PS papa benson - there is a hs rb here in pensacola that gt is quietly watching . He has same build and direction shift as baby benson. i predict benson and benson wanna be BOTH have big games 1, 2, 3 which make them team leaders.
I didn’t see that out of Howard at all. He’s actually got a pretty good jump cut imo.

@kirkbenson71 i don’t think anyone is talking down on your son from what I’ve seen, I could have missed something though. I will say we all have opinions though. I think what we are seeing is some people like Howard’s style of running better than your sons and vice versa. They are both very different backs who bring different things to the table and imo it’s just a preference thing when people start saying they want this guy or that guy starting. One thing I can say is your son runs that ball and does it hard. That’s why people are always talking about how hard it is to tackle him, and I personally love that about him!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really like the Jerry at B, Kirvonte at A lineup.

But I also want Taquon or James Graham returning punts and kickoffs.

And I thought we should have put Jay Jones on the field somehow if he is a "better athlete" than TM. We have limited depth, but some of our guys are beasts. Kirvonte is one of them, and I think he would be killer on the rocket toss and counter.
If only TM would have made the pitch in OT vs UT.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
For those who forgot what KB brings to the table:

Well, this has been a fun thread.
My favorite plays of that video (and there was a lot to like) were small things he did to maximize the outcome when modest yardage was available. The plays at 00:50 and around 1:02 or so, against Tenn. He hits it just on the inside of a defender, attacks the single shoulder of the defender so that the defender can't get good leverage on him, gets skinny and low and just drives for yardage (also like how Parker B. picked up the MLB at the last second. That is what is needed from that position so many times a game. When you can get decent yardage from the dive even when it's defended well, our offense is hell. If we're not getting that from the dive, the DC and players feel much more comfortable. That's what Laskey and Days were so good at (Days had more wiggle and power probably, but Laskey just hit the hole so quick and hard - both were very effective and ran hard). Speaking of Laskey and Days, that would be nice this year, wouldn't it? And, we have that potential in Benson and Howard. As several have said, it will only make GT better if Howard is also a high-level player that is too good to keep of the field so that we have a 1-2 punch and depth at the position. And, we'll probably even have a good 3rd option when needed in Ponchez-Mason (may end up getting time at AB).

You know who Benson reminds me of? Mike Tyson. And, I mean that as a great compliment ... you know, without the crazy. Maybe it's because of the compact power and the soft-spokenness - like stick of dynamite ... seems gentle but causes fear.