Preseason Depth Chart

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Is Masón in the running for any quality playing time or just in mop up duties this season?
Almost every time that position is talked about I hear his name (from CPJ himself) I think he has as much upside and can be a nasty 1, 2 punch with Howard. Imo he’s probably not as familiar with the offense and that’s something only reps will help with. I look for him to get playing time this year but possibly move his way up if he can learn the offense by next season. But to answer your question idk lol. I can only say I’ve heard his name a lot.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Howard needs to start over Benson and we need one of the WR reserves to step up and claim a spot. Looking forward to seeing it play out.
I think Howard and Ponchez-Mason could be a nasty 1,2 punch next year. I don’t see CPJ moving Benson out of the starting spot though. Not saying it won’t or I agree, I just don’t see it happening. I think the highest upside could be Ponchez-Mason though.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s the fastest anymore. CPj even joked about his speed in the Clemson game. I think his added muscle weight has slowed him a lot.

Dwyer was probably the fastest. He was definitely the fastest after that first cut and he would turn on the afterburners. To be sure Kirvonte is still pretty fast. Come to think of it, Marshall was pretty fast as well. He might be second behind Dwyer and Benson a very close third. Don't really think it matters much after getting stonewalled a few times on dives. Running into some of those Clemson defensive linemen would slow anybody down right quick.

John1993

Georgia Tech Fan
Taquon Marshall will need to be much more effective throwing down field and pitching out to our A-Backs, so this offense can become a real triple threat. Our B-Backs will be solid with Benson and Howard. Need to see our A-Backs in the open field making big plays.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes TM needs to complete some more passes, but toward the end of the year I think the real problem was missed reads on the TO so much so that we stopped running the TO. The reads have got to get much better and then we will hum.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m a little late to the party in this thread, but look at that FS/SS tandem! From a measurables standpoint, that’s nasty! 6’2” 218??!?!! That’s a couple of James Butlers back there. Can’t wait to see how these two fare in CNW’s scheme. (I will miss Gray, for sure, mostly for his experience/recognition). If CC and TC can learn on the job quickly in the first couple of games, watch out ACC!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer was probably the fastest. He was definitely the fastest after that first cut and he would turn on the afterburners. To be sure Kirvonte is still pretty fast. Come to think of it, Marshall was pretty fast as well. He might be second behind Dwyer and Benson a very close third. Don't really think it matters much after getting stonewalled a few times on dives. Running into some of those Clemson defensive linemen would slow anybody down right quick.
Yea Dwyer could move. I don’t bet, but if I did I’d put money on Howard being the fastes Bback. That dude was moving in the Jacksonville game when he had a long TD run.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Y’all are quick to forget. Dwyer was next level fast. He wasn’t the quickest 1-10 yards, but top end was best no doubt.

KB may be quickest 1-10 yards.

Marshall was probably a mix of both.

Howard is fast, but no way he’s in the convo with those three. YET

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Y’all are quick to forget. Dwyer was next level fast. He wasn’t the quickest 1-10 yards, but top end was best no doubt.

Disagree about Howard, go back and watch when he hits the hole and his first 10 yards, it’s looks (which isn’t always the case) faster than KB. Another tell tell for me is a comment by one of the players when he said Ponchez-Mason is a bled between the power of KB and the speed of Howard. I believe it was TM who said this durning the spring.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Dwyer was ridiculously fast 1-10 yards. That's why the draw worked for him and hasn't really been part of the playbook since. He lost a step his Junior year, but I think that was due to meds vs lack of effort. Dwyer was fast with pads on.

Probably our fastest RB since TD Tony Hollings. There was a player who could make things happen. If only we had run him the whole game vs Clemson in 2002....

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll also add that Dwyer's acceleration and vision were a few of the reasons why he was probably 2 yards farther behind the QB than we usually see in CPJs spread option.

I'm waiting for us to get another top 3 rounds talent at Bback. I think Mills might have been that. Custis might have been that guy, but he hasn't shown out against lower competition. I wonder whether his delay in playing hurt his ability. I thought MLD would've been good at Bback, but I think he lost his passion for the game.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s the fastest anymore. CPj even joked about his speed in the Clemson game. I think his added muscle weight has slowed him a lot.

He got stripped early on in that game and you could see him covering the ball with both arms any time someone got near him (and it was a smart move, they were really targeting the ball every time they got near him). That probably contributed to him getting caught more than anything.