Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
7-5 was also his floor.

And it should have have gotten him fired. Gailey was mediocrity incarnate and deserved to be canned. 7-5 shouldn't be something you puff out your chest and act like it solidifies the coach. Unfortunately, over the last 6 years, the same time period that Gailey was here, Johnson has an average record of 7-5.3. If the only reason we're keeping Johnson is he beats the mutts once every 4 years then people need to get over their little brother syndrome.
We are keeping CPJ because he has finished 1-2 in the coastal 7 times, gone to the OB twice....finished ranked 8th once, beaten the mutts a few times, runs a clean program and IS GRADUATING PLAYERS

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We are keeping CPJ because he has finished 1-2 in the coastal 7 times, gone to the OB twice....finished ranked 8th once, beaten the mutts a few times, runs a clean program and IS GRADUATING PLAYERS
So no other coaches can graduate players? Lmao

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So no other coaches can graduate players? Lmao
The NCAA began tracking graduation rate in 2005. Football was in the 50's. It is now 86.

http://ramblinwreck.com/coach/paul-johnson/
a current NCAA Graduation Success Rate of 82 percent, the highest in Georgia Tech football history – prior to Johnson’s arrival at Tech, the football program’s Graduation Success
http://ramblinwreck.com/another-all-time-best-graduation-success-rate-for-gt/

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...rgia-graduation-rates/83NqeMOElQfx8nLXxfet0M/
The latest version of the NCAA’s annual Graduation Success Rate (GSR) study covers athletes who initially enrolled from 2001 through 2004. The NCAA said athletes who leave school with eligibility remaining, such as for the NFL or NBA draft, do not count against a team’s GSR if they depart in good academic standing.

According to the NCAA figures, Tech posted a graduation rate of 55 percent for football, 27 percent for men’s basketball and 77 percent for all men’s and women’s sports combined. The Yellow Jackets’ all-sports rate was 11th in the ACC.

Can another coach come in and graduate players at the same rate? Maybe. But it is a fact that CPJ graduates 30% more players now than his predecessor.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA began tracking graduation rate in 2005. Football was in the 50's. It is now 86.

http://ramblinwreck.com/coach/paul-johnson/

http://ramblinwreck.com/another-all-time-best-graduation-success-rate-for-gt/

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...rgia-graduation-rates/83NqeMOElQfx8nLXxfet0M/

Can another coach come in and graduate players at the same rate? Maybe. But it is a fact that CPJ graduates 30% more players now than his predecessor.
Yes i know all this but this guy seems to think CPJ is the only coach that can graduate players which isn't true. But whatever CPJ is gonna be the coach next year

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Although we've never really brought in the big time 4 and 5 star recruits, a sentiment held by many on this board (and any other one about Georgia Tech football for that matter) is that this offense prevents us for landing elite recruits with legitimate NFL aspirations. But others will bring forth the evidence that this same offense is the great equalizer that allows us to overcome these recruiting deficiencies, and compete with teams with superior talent. My question to the board is do you guys believe the work that T-Stan is doing to raise money and devote more resources towards recruiting will bring better results in recruiting? Or will it always be the same as long as we run the triple option? Will a new offense make us more attractive to kids? Or will we always have a tougher time because we're Georgia Tech?

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Well the offense itself will always make some kids hesitant to come here. The big issue is how many of those kids do CPJ and the staff actually want and believe they have a shot to get.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Although we've never really brought in the big time 4 and 5 star recruits, a sentiment held by many on this board (and any other one about Georgia Tech football for that matter) is that this offense prevents us for landing elite recruits with legitimate NFL aspirations. But others will bring forth the evidence that this same offense is the great equalizer that allows us to overcome these recruiting deficiencies, and compete with teams with superior talent. My question to the board is do you guys believe the work that T-Stan is doing to raise money and devote more resources towards recruiting will bring better results in recruiting? Or will it always be the same as long as we run the triple option? Will a new offense make us more attractive to kids? Or will we always have a tougher time because we're Georgia Tech?
We had zero 5 stars before CPJ, and we have had zero since. This is both on the offense and on the defense. TStans initiatives may help us land better recruits in general, and I hope that is the case.

I won't get into an argument about whether the offense is the reason we cannot get a five star, but I find it hard to believe that our offense is the reason we have never gotten a 5 star defensive recruit (including before CPJ). This leads me to believe there is more to it than just the offensive scheme.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our offensive scheme increases the chances that we will land great players that fit our offensive scheme. Who cares about their star ranking? There are a METRIC TON of HS teams running our style of offense nationwide. What we need to do is cast a nationwide net to locate and pick the right kids. Defense might be another story, but I doubt the effect is as dramatic as people like to think.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think recruiting area has been limited to the southeast the last several years due to lack of personnel. While there are a lot of good players, GT has a restricted that it can offer relative to other teams and we all know that the whole of ACC and SEC recruit heavily in the southeast.

If sufficient personnel and travel money are available, then a proper nationwide recruiting effort can be done. If GT has about a dozen person staff, and a travel budget to match, for the purposes of player scouting and evaluation, then you’d really like results after a few years.

It’s like fishing while being restricted to using one pole with worms as bait while the competition uses four poles baited with worms and artificial lures. We can’t fix the bait (academics) but we can put more poles in the water and fish in multiple ponds.

Deleted member 2897

Well the highest rated player on our team right now (per Rivals) is on offense and is a QB.

I think scheme is one of several things which make recruiting difficult. Academic restrictions, resource limitations, offensive scheme, location, limits of majors, etc etc. some of these are positives for us and some are negatives from player to player. I’d say scheme depends on the player too. But based on the fact our recruiting rankings are no different than under previous coaches, and perhaps may be marginally better, I’d say on offensive scheme in particular we can’t know. I’d say certainly as it relates to recruiting struggles in particular I’d put it at least at #5 if not further down the list.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys unless we expand the curriculum AND lower our admission standards our recruiting will never change. I’ve always paid lip service to this and believed it to a certain extent. But this weekend has absolutely convinced me. I was at my hunting camp and one of my friends (an OBGYN as well as his wife) kid who is a freshman at Mississippi State came over. He is majoring in chemical engineering. Very smart kid. He wants to go to medical school. Said he was switching majors to something easy to get his GPA up. His hardest class....calculus. I was shocked. Calculus 1-3 were my easiest classes just about. He never took it in high school (how I do not know cause I will damn sure make sure my kids do). Most 18 year olds that don’t have a mathematical background do not want to major in engineering. So that leaves management. We have got to offer something that kids want to major in. Like a sports science degree. Sports management. Something.

You can talk to these kids until your blue in the face. Nothing is going to change. You can look at the places that are super successful and it is because they have lots of variety to offer lots of different kinds of kids with different interests. Right now Alabama, Clemson, and OSU are the NFL’s minor leagues. We will not be that. Other teams can compete with them every so often. Now we can as wel. It is just that much harder because the smaller pool of kids that will be interested.

Odds just are not in our favor. I truly believe this offense is an equalizer. And in 11 years we have been pretty dang competitive. And ever so often it comes together and we are very competitive. We were never really competitive with Gailey. We were with O’Leary but that was a different time academically so it’s. It really comparable.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think our offensive scheme allows us to recruit good athletes versus recruiting good athletes at a specific position. I also think we need a wider recruiting net and a better way of predicting the success of a recruit on the field and in the classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.