Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I admit I was ready for a change at 1-3 (6-9 going back to last season. I am truly glad they turned it around and hope they continue to increase resources/results. I always said I liked the offense ( a pitch looks better than a boring sceeen or slant pass play) but believe it causes negative recruiting ( especially on the defensive side). If Woody can get the defense in the Top 40 and the Special Teams can play at the current level ( I have never seen a turnaround like what they have shown the past 2 games) then I think Tech can get to a “next level”.
This is why many of us have been calling for our fan base to put down the pitchforks and wait till the end of the season to judge the team.

We have a Great Head Coach, who has righted the ship in a borderline toxic scenario combining an awfully loud but small set of our angry fan base calling out players in social media, press writing articles about how we should fire the coach and people quitting on the team.

He, and the players, have been going about their business with the same diligence and sweat they always do, and now low and behold we have rattled off 6 wins in the last 7 games and are sitting at 7-4 with a chance to finish with 9 wins and guaranteed us an extra game of football.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes i know all this but this guy seems to think CPJ is the only coach that can graduate players which isn't true. But whatever CPJ is gonna be the coach next year

Hmmm. Please quote any post from him that alludes to this “belief”. I seem to have missed it.

I’ll wait patiently but I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have a long wait.

Maybe consider the possibility that he pointed to that success CPJ has inarguably had. One positive among many. And your inability to refute it has triggered you?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've read internet pieces that say Charlie Strong is a candidate for the North Carolina and Louisville head coaching jobs:cigar:

But at least those are jobs with a proven path to success. Les Miles could probably have held out for an SEC job this year or next, and had he thrown his hat in the ring, would have been a tempting hire for either UL or UNC. He never had a losing season at LSU.

Kansas, however, has averaged 2 wins a year since 2010. I just don't get it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't think our next coach will be a CPJ-Flexbone devotee. I think 'option' football is here to stay. But, I think in the interest of excitement/interest (fundraising) we'll need to bring in someone 'different'. Someone from the Urban Meyer/Rich Rod/Willie Fritz shotgun spread-option vein is my guess.

If we win 9+ games on average the next few years, maybe CPJ can bring in Bohannon (dwag, I know), Ivin Jasper, or someone as OC/HCiW as his successor. 7 wins is good enough to not roll the dice on firing the coach. But 7 wins isn't good enough to sell the fan base on bringing in CPJ 2.0.

Personally, I'd like a defensive-minded recruiter/CEO type HC, with an option guy as aHC/OC.

I’m not at all certain a CPJ disciple will replace CPJ if he ends his stay upon retiring. I think one or maybe two might get consideration. But CPJ's scheme isn’t the only scheme that can work at Tech. It’s one of many.

However....if we ever make a coaching hire to generate fan excitement primarily...we could get Bill Lewis 2.0. Fan excitement shouldn’t even be a factor for an AD. It should all be about the potential for Ws.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
But at least those are jobs with a proven path to success. Les Miles could probably have held out for an SEC job this year or next, and had he thrown his hat in the ring, would have been a tempting hire for either UL or UNC. He never had a losing season at LSU.

Kansas, however, has averaged 2 wins a year since 2010. I just don't get it.
I think he just wanted to coach one more time before retiring for good:cigar:

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I pretty sure CPJ isn't running for anything, and doesn't need a campaign manager. You, however, have been extremely vocal in calling for his job. There's been a lot of campaigning on this thread, but not by the supporters of the current coach.
I've acknowledged several times that he's not going anywhere

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Want to know the problem.....

Until you get a president that supports football things will not change not many coaches would put up with it.

Under the current structure you are correct. But there is a deeper structural problem.

In a corporation, Boards dictate policy to the operating officers. With the GTAA, the CEO (Peterson) controls appointments to the Board. The result is that a bunch of academics and others under his control dictate GTAA policy. That's a terrible idea.

I'm not sure what the difference is between UGa's AA's by-laws and the GTAA's, but their board is dominated by alumni, not professors.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Charlie Strong would be good at UNC but a disaster at USC. He is an OK coach and would clean up whatever the hell is wrong at UNC, but he isn't going to wow anyone. He was a bust at Texas and is struggling at USF where he has more talent than almost anyone else except maybe UCF and Houston. Maybe he'll turn things around but I don't think he's that great.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Our offense has also done pretty good so far this year with us losing our BB1, our QB1 getting hurt, losing our QB2 before the season, and shuffling the OL around so much. Better players will help, but how much? We need better athletes on defense more than anything. While there is negative recruiting due to our offense on that side, if you are dumb enough to not understand what a scout team is then you won't make it at Tech anyway.

Our defense is about as fun as a defense kids could want, and hopefully on field improvement along with developing players gets us bigger recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.