Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
My question is where does Tstans stand with CPJ. Internally do you think he has a number Johnson must meet or he is out? Does he honor the commitment and keeps him through 2020 regardless if we win 5 games a year of that time?

I'm a firm believer if you don't make change you get left behind. Well there are 3 schools around us taking up talent away from us. State, southern, and now actually kennesaw state is slowly coming into the mix, they have a huge student body.

Change is scary, we can lose CPJ and win only 2-4 games. But to me, if you aren't gunning for a 10 win season and expect that year in and out, then change is needed. We have spent a decade of Johnson trying to recruit guys for his system. I think we are slowly realizing the talent doesnt want to play in this system. Sure we churn out a few pros here and there, but superstar worldbeater kids want to go to a program that will show their skill to the nfl and get them money. We have student athletes at tech and I am extremely proud of that, but we do need the kids that expect to be 1st round picks. If we cant grab 1-2 5 star players and 4-7 four star players in this state then something is wrong. Just observation. I love my team, and I feel the school and fans have convinced themselves we need to settle. I'll settle on 10 win seasons and a fighting chance for undefeated or 11 wins, I cannot settle for 5-8win seasons. That's like saying you can make more money, if you work differently, but you choose to stay poor and struggle because you're comfortable. Then complain about the position you're in. I want the GT to have a little number 5 through 1 next to it in the next 10 years. Let's make that happen.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think a losing season would seal the deal. 3 out of 4 losing seasons would just demoralize the fans and donors too much to sustain. TStan won't be able to raise money by selling donors on the hopes that Woody gets his defense sorted out and James Graham comes in and turns around the offense. I suspect CPJ may retire and collect 1 million rather than hang around or force an uncomfortable firing. He's always said if they can find someone better, he won't stand in their way.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
My question is where does Tstans stand with CPJ. Internally do you think he has a number Johnson must meet or he is out? Does he honor the commitment and keeps him through 2020 regardless if we win 5 games a year of that time?

I'm a firm believer if you don't make change you get left behind. Well there are 3 schools around us taking up talent away from us. State, southern, and now actually kennesaw state is slowly coming into the mix, they have a huge student body.

Change is scary, we can lose CPJ and win only 2-4 games. But to me, if you aren't gunning for a 10 win season and expect that year in and out, then change is needed. We have spent a decade of Johnson trying to recruit guys for his system. I think we are slowly realizing the talent doesnt want to play in this system. Sure we churn out a few pros here and there, but superstar worldbeater kids want to go to a program that will show their skill to the nfl and get them money. We have student athletes at tech and I am extremely proud of that, but we do need the kids that expect to be 1st round picks. If we cant grab 1-2 5 star players and 4-7 four star players in this state then something is wrong. Just observation. I love my team, and I feel the school and fans have convinced themselves we need to settle. I'll settle on 10 win seasons and a fighting chance for undefeated or 11 wins, I cannot settle for 5-8win seasons. That's like saying you can make more money, if you work differently, but you choose to stay poor and struggle because you're comfortable. Then complain about the position you're in. I want the GT to have a little number 5 through 1 next to it in the next 10 years. Let's make that happen.

Including the extra playoff games, Clemson and UGA averaged 10.4 and 9.5 wins over the past 10 years, respectively. No fan “settles” for 10-win seasons.

I don’t think TStan fires CPJ. I think we will ride this until the end of the season and I think CPJ will step down if the season continues on its current trajectory. He said he would retire when he isn’t having fun anymore and it doesn’t appear that he is having any fun. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Including the extra playoff games, Clemson and UGA averaged 10.4 and 9.5 wins over the past 10 years, respectively. No fan “settles” for 10-win seasons.

I don’t think TStan fires CPJ. I think we will ride this until the end of the season and I think CPJ will step down if the season continues on its current trajectory. He said he would retire when he isn’t having fun anymore and it doesn’t appear that he is having any fun. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 wins a year is a high bar for us, yes and really for anyone other than the blue bloods. I think realistically 8 wins a year with a 10 plus win season every 4 or so years is reasonable.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Good post ! I feel very similar in a lot of ways. Looking back , when Friedgen was the OC under O'Leary , we ran a great , more pro style offense. One that related more to NFL skills. Many people might argue that our offense isn't the problem. I agree that for the first few years of CPJ we had a scheme advantage. But now , we get plenty of yards when they don't seem to matter as much , but at crunch time opposing Ds have figured out ways to stop us, especially with equal , or better, talent.
For those who argue that our problems are on D, well we haven't been able to recruit too many 4 stars or better ( but some at least ). Then they don't get tested in practice by a QB who can REALLY throw, or a TE who can challenge our LBs. Bubble screens usually give us fits . Why ? IMO, it exposes our lack of mobility at the LB position, and our poor tackling in the secondary. Woody has a hard time coaching up young D players , who don't get seriously tested by an O that they are likely to see in a game.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Unless this team pulls an upset over a Clemson, VT, Miami or Uga and can somehow win 5-6 more games I think PJ will step down. The last two weeks have been painful to watch. Not only on the field but in the post game videos. The only hope we really have is the team circles the wagons and comes out swinging. But as of right now they look flat out exhausted of it all. Theses still a lot of football left. I’m just hoping he hasn’t lost the locker room and the kids play with some pride. The worst case scenario that could’ve happened early on this year is! Thankfully Dabo respects Paul and he probably won’t embarrass him if the game is well out of hand. If we go out and lose at home like Pitt did to Penn St I can’t see any way he returns next year.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
No bowl game and I think Stansbury has to make a move (not bowl). Hopefully he is aware of what Hewitt did to our basketball program and doesn't prolong the agony ...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No AD should want to fire a coach. It is not a fun thing as I watched it happen to lots of people in industry. It affects a lot of people and not just the coach. TSTAN will do it reluctantly as he seems to like PJ. Money and loss of fan support may force him to do something
I would rather see a negotiated retirement as PJ has been very loyal and seems to respect our school as an academic institution. What PJ brings to the table just isn't working anymore at this level. Be it shortcomings in recruiting, other teams figuring out how to defend it better, or better competition. PJ has recruited high character kids and most graduate. I commend him for that.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
In some ways CPJ reminds me of Joe Paterno , minus the scandal, of course ! Paterno , in his later years , found it very difficult to modernize his offense with the times. Like CPJ , he was stuuborn to a fault , IMO. Paterno hated to pass and always thought hard work and preparation could beat the other team, even when they knew what play was coming. He literally felt having to pass was a sign of weakness. He ran a clean program , high character kids who graduated. Finally, in his later years, he relented and hired OCs to modernize ( for that time , anyway ) their offensive schemes. It improved their records , recruiting that had gotten mediocre also rebounded. For instance they signed OLs that could also pass block. Their defenses got better because they learned in practice to defend against better passing teams. Interesting ??

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
No AD should want to fire a coach. It is not a fun thing as I watched it happen to lots of people in industry. It affects a lot of people and not just the coach. TSTAN will do it reluctantly as he seems to like PJ. Money and loss of fan support may force him to do something
I would rather see a negotiated retirement as PJ has been very loyal and seems to respect our school as an academic institution. What PJ brings to the table just isn't working anymore at this level. Be it shortcomings in recruiting, other teams figuring out how to defend it better, or better competition. PJ has recruited high character kids and most graduate. I commend him for that.
Absolutely ! See my post .

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Coaches usually know when it's time to go because they see how recruiting is going and who they can interest in the school. PJ knows what is likely to be the state of the program in 2020 better than most of us do.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
$2 million buyout if he's fired at the end of the year. With Hewitt and Gregory buyouts continuing / ending soon (iirc), can GT afford to fire CPJ?

On the other hand, can GT afford to continue this type of season / games for 2 more years (CPJ contract runs until 2020)?

Either way, I don't see CPJ's continuing past 2020. Between now and then though, I have no idea.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is my problem I really like CPJ and he has been very loyal to Tech. And has brought in players with high character. And I guess in the long run I still want to see him win and stay. But he just doesn't seem the same this year. I really don't know what I'm saying other then I pick Tech first and what is better for them. And if that means we need to make a change then we need to do it. I really just hate to see anyone go. All I know something is wrong and it needs to be fixed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Before first game as coach aas about to take field "GO GET UM COACH. : They are a team as long as TSTAN THINKS coach is going and getting.
20180901_113315.jpg
coach

Status
Not open for further replies.