Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Great article.

I didn't know this was a thing. Duke would be pretty stupid to remove him. But maybe with how much they are now spending in football (more than us...), they think they can do better. I guess that was the point of the article though, be careful what you wish for.

I guess losing by 56 to Wake could sour things...

Realistically no coach in the Coastal has that much job security at this point other than Mack Brown who just got hired. Everyone is 1-2 bad seasons away from getting canned.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
As a non alum how would the alums on here feel about adding an easier degree path that you could hide athletes in? This may have been addressed here before, so forgive me if it has already been answered.
I personally don't feel that any academic decisions made by the institute should be influenced by athletics at all.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Not the best thread to post this in, but it seems to get the most attention. Who do y’all believe will end up being our starting QB next year. I’m partial to Tobias only because I know him being from the same place, but also know that we have guys with a bigger upside. James Graham and Lucas Johnson both look like they have what it takes to come in and take over. From his size and skill set I believe Johnson will be our starter for a CPJ led team and if something was to happen with CPJ and a new offense is brought in I believe Lucas could be a guy that could run whatever the new offense may be and help us get through the transition.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have to laugh. This is exactly what was being said at Alabama in 1971 when Bear Bryant switched the offense to ... the wishbone.

I don't think there is any data that establishes a relationship between a team's offense and the effect it has on recruiting, defense, or attendance. Mostly, it's probably anecdotal evidence if there is any at all. No, I think if Tech were to go 12-0 every year and play for the national championship with this offense, most people would be just fine with that.

When I was at Tech and taking Transport Phenomenon with Dr. S. Peter Kezios, he said over and over, "Engineers don't live in an ideal world. They live in a world of constraints. And based on the constraints you have, you have to adjust your solution. Mechanical engineering is not Physics."

We need a program (recruiting, offense/defense, tutoring, development) that works for the school (and constraints) we have. Not the one we hope to have (e.g., be Alabama).

Football changed forever in 1970 with integration. Comparisons to Dodd, Neyland, Pop Warner are almost meaningless now.

I for one don't really care what we run. But, if the TO gives up the best opportunity to compete as a STEM school and remain in D1 ... I'm for it. If we change and we go 2-10 .... that will destroy attendance, recruiting, and donations more than anything.
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Here's the truth of the matter: With or without Paul Johnson, you are not going to be playing for any championships in the near future, unless you make MASSIVE changes to both your academic requirements and your infrastructure.

You have issues at GT. I acknowledge this. They prevent you from competing with the best of the best on a consistent basis.

Hell, Paul Johnson may even prevent you from ABSOLUTE maximization.

That said, he's pretty far down the list, and IMO he actually helps you reach a higher LOCAL maximum than you otherwise would. Yes, his offense limits offensive recruiting. This is probably true, but MANY OTHER THINGS limit your offensive recruiting, defensive recruiting, coaching recruiting, player retention, etc MUCH MORE.

ALSO, Johnson's offense gives you a tactical advantage vs. peer programs (again, please note that you guys had one of the better offenses in the country despite your recruiting rankings).

So lets game theory this:

1) You fire coach johnson, and bring in a more standard offensive coach.

2) You lose the tactical advantage, because suddenly you're doing the same things as everybody else, and you're easy to prepare for.

3) Your recruiting fails to improve to a great degree, because while top notch WR's didn't want to come play Outside Guard for coach Johnson, they ALSO don't want to come do calculus and hang out at sausage parties, and study until 3 am when they could bang hot chicks and get wasted at UGA and play in the exact same offense.

4) You're running the same offense as everybody else, with no better recruits than anybody else. Why would you expect better results than anybody else? (Guess what? YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET BETTER RESULTS THAN ANYBODY ELSE)

5) We have this conversation again in 4 years.

6) MAYBE THEN people figure out that the BIG problem is bigger than X's and O's

7) Probably not, because again, people aren't interested in facts.
Needs to be repeated for those that are on the dense side...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not the best thread to post this in, but it seems to get the most attention. Who do y’all believe will end up being our starting QB next year.
lol. Like I said, this thread should be retitled to "Ramblings of the Swarm" given all the tangents the thread takes and the number of people in the thread at this point.

As for QB, LJ was set to get significant playing time (he was mentioned as being the qb in for passing situations already) and was the solid number two. I think TO earned the right for it to be his position to lose, but I assume LJ is unable to beat him out only if he cannot recover from his surgery.

JG is the unknown for me. He is supposed to be one of the best athletes we've had at the position, but that may not translate to early playing time necessarily. If he is able to beat out a healthy JG and a TO who got significant reps, then he is sure to be a special player.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not the best thread to post this in, but it seems to get the most attention. Who do y’all believe will end up being our starting QB next year. I’m partial to Tobias only because I know him being from the same place, but also know that we have guys with a bigger upside. James Graham and Lucas Johnson both look like they have what it takes to come in and take over. From his size and skill set I believe Johnson will be our starter for a CPJ led team and if something was to happen with CPJ and a new offense is brought in I believe Lucas could be a guy that could run whatever the new offense may be and help us get through the transition.
Maybe wrong place, but good point on Lucas.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I believe Lucas could be a guy that could run whatever the new offense may be and help us get through the transition.
Between LJ and JG I think we have two QBs capable of running most offenses. It is other position groups (do we have a prototypical left tackle, or even right tackle?) we may struggle with at first. JG would look pretty good in that UVA offense Perkins was running assuming he can make the throws. LJ has a similar build to Tebow physically at 6'3 210 listed for LJ and 6'3 215 out of high school (235 listed as senior) for Tebow. He would certainly succeed in a run oriented spread option attack run similarly to Urban's. LJ though is quite honestly a wonderful fit for our under center option game as well, and I am sure he will succeed in it if given the chance.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Between LJ and JG I think we have two QBs capable of running most offenses. It is other position groups (do we have a prototypical left tackle, or even right tackle?) we may struggle with at first. JG would look pretty good in that UVA offense Perkins was running assuming he can make the throws. LJ has a similar build to Tebow physically at 6'3 210 listed for LJ and 6'3 215 out of high school (235 listed as senior) for Tebow. He would certainly succeed in a run oriented spread option attack run similarly to Urban's. LJ though is quite honestly a wonderful fit for our under center option game as well, and I am sure he will succeed in it if given the chance.
I agree, both of those guys could probably come in and run most offenses as well they are perfect fits for our current offense. I like the comparison for LJ. JG isn’t small but Imo LJ’s size is what makes him stand out the most to be able to perform in any scheme. I also agree with you about other positions, the undersized OL is what would really hurt us throughout the change, and I also wonder if we would have a true number one WR in a new system. We would also need someone to be able to come in and become a Good tight end

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I agree, both of those guys could probably come in and run most offenses as well they are perfect fits for our current offense. I like the comparison for LJ. JG isn’t small but Imo LJ’s size is what makes him stand out the most to be able to perform in any scheme. I also agree with you about other positions, the undersized OL is what would really hurt us throughout the change, and I also wonder if we would have a true number one WR in a new system. We would also need someone to be able to come in and become a Good tight end
We have some giant WR who are already used to playing on the line at least lol. Not sure how great as tight ends they would be, but I've always thought our WR were closer to TE's that line up outside the tackles anyways. A true WR threat is something we are lacking and that discussion does have its own thread :)

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
We have some giant WR who are already used to playing on the line at least lol. Not sure how great as tight ends they would be, but I've always thought our WR were closer to TE's that line up outside the tackles anyways. A true WR threat is something we are lacking and that discussion does have its own thread :)
Yes I seen that thread lol. And you’re right about the WR’s used to being on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.