Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Football is in a precarious position....thanks mostly to ESPN IMO.
The NFL, MLB, etc saw the writing on the wall....if certain teams with a cash advantage, could essentially buy championships year in and year out...like the NY Yankees for example, over a short time frame, fans in other cities would loose interest and the league would fold.....it depends on a reasonable parity between the teams in order to stay interesting. College football is at the same cross roads. A small subset of schools have committed to buying championships.....Bama has tripled their spending in the last 10 years. I am not sure the NCAA has the fortitude to step in and make changes...if they don't, and the next few years see the same dozen teams compete for the NC, interest in the sport will really fall off. Combined with a general drop off in participation and the rising costs....it may be a struggle for the sport to survive.
I said it before - the last 4 years of the CFP have seen 11 of the 16 slots go to 4 teams. Assuming Bama. Clem, and tOSU win this weekend, we are looking at 14 of 20 to the same 4 schools, with 6 one time appearances out of 5 years. Of those I believe only Ugag and Oregon made it to the final. The club has become more exclusive. Think of all the airtime spent on these schools. It's not just the extra money spent by the top schools. It's the free advertising they get too. Herbstreit's kids are walking on at Clemson.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Thank God. We are a technology school that creates one helluva engineer. I continue to be amazed at those who want to change the curriculum for the sole reason of winning a football game.

If I was an astronaut being launched into space, I would be delighted to learn that the re-entry vehicle was designed by experienced Georgia Tech engineers. If they were designed by communications grads from UGA(g), I might be a little concerned.

It seems like virtually all of our non kicking related football players are not taking engineering.

I could be wrong - names and mumbers??

In old days it was " industrial management " . Somehow we are still a great engineering school .

In a dream world with the hill and BOR approval =
If we did open up a HIGH QUALITY sports technology / managment degree program it would high lite our once very high level in sports managment .

This former level is demonstrated by the names of the yearly awards for best football player, coach, and asst coach, and AD. Too me that's a great thing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Few places reward losing-season coaches with extensions.

Few places have the financial issues we have to. It's situational.

In 1956, Georgia Tech won 10 games and went to the Gator Bowl. It would be another 10 years before they won as many as 9 games ... going 9-2 in 1966.

Most years, they won fewer than 7 games. A wpct of about 62%. With arguably one of the greatest football coaches who ever played or coached the game.

Flash forward to current times. With more stringent requirements. With fewer scholarships. And CPJ is coaching at about 58%.

And all TStan wants to do is bridge CPJ until the legacy costs roll off and he has some running room to invest in the program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

In 1956, Georgia Tech won 10 games and went to the Gator Bowl. It would be another 10 years before they won as many as 9 games ... going 9-2 in 1966.

Most years, they won fewer than 7 games. A wpct of about 62%. With arguably one of the greatest football coaches who ever played or coached the game.

Flash forward to current times. With more stringent requirements. With fewer scholarships. And CPJ is coaching at about 58%.

And all TStan wants to do is bridge CPJ until the legacy costs roll off and he has some running room to invest in the program.
Elon and Presbyterian are a coaches friend. Grade inflation!
Totally agree that coach deserves a dignified final few years

That's why I'm of the belief that CPJ will be here thru at least 2020 and why my CPJ opinion isn't that he needs to be fired but that he needs to make adjustments to the offense. Contrary to some fans here, who clearly think otherwise, I've not called for the guy to be fired. Only to stop running so many QB Keepers and stop being so predictable. Hopefully he'll let the QBs waiting in the wings to move us in that direction.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech is completely different from a school like Alabama. After 35 years, folks still are amazed ... "Oh, you went to Tech? Georgia Tech? Wow. Good school." That just doesn't happen much at Alabama.

Nothing but a side story here but I had to go to Shanghai for work. I'm having breakfast wearing a long-sleeve gold shirt with Buzz on it. A guy in his 60's walks by and says, "You a helluva engineer?" and I reply "Yessir. You?"

"No, I went to Auburn years ago. But you went to the better school."

There are countless times stuff like this has happened when I travel for work to places like Korea, China, Germany, Belgium, Spain, ... Invariably I get stopped by someone and get asked, "Did you attend Georgia Tech?" and it's because I'm wearing a GT hat, or a Buzz pullover, or have a GT pin on my backpack. GT has worldwide recognition. I don't think the same thing would happen if I was wearing a crimson ROLL TIDE shirt: "Do you work for American toilet paper company? No, wait. Laundry detergent company, yes?"

The degree means something. Let's not water down the school with UNC-style academics. But ... I still don't see why we can't add other majors (sport science or technical communications) as a part of a technology-based curriculum.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That's why I'm of the belief that CPJ will be here thru at least 2020 and why my CPJ opinion isn't that he needs to be fired but that he needs to make adjustments to the offense. Contrary to some fans here, who clearly think otherwise, I've not called for the guy to be fired. Only to stop running so many QB Keepers and stop being so predictable. Hopefully he'll let the QBs waiting in the wings to move us in that direction.
I have a feeling it was do to our QB I hope we have a good spring and work on our passing game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I was told after Duke game via big $$ booster connection that cpj had this year and 2019 to improve things before he'd be canned. Stansbury was gonna make sure he had the resources before making decision.

I was told after UVA game via a big $$$ booster connection that CPJ would be here at least 5 more years in order to garner and leverage the increasing support planned in that time frame.

This foruming thing is fun ain’t it?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I was told after UVA game via a big $$$ booster connection that CPJ would be here at least 5 more years in order to garner and leverage the increasing support planned in that time frame.

This foruming thing is fun ain’t it?
I was told at the UVa game to bring my daughter back a coke and something to eat when I went to the restroom.

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems like virtually all of our non kicking related football players are not taking engineering.

I could be wrong - names and mumbers??

In old days it was " industrial management " . Somehow we are still a great engineering school .

In a dream world with the hill and BOR approval =
If we did open up a HIGH QUALITY sports technology / managment degree program it would high lite our once very high level in sports managment .

This former level is demonstrated by the names of the yearly awards for best football player, coach, and asst coach, and AD. Too me that's a great thing.
There aren't a ton but I know Tobias Oliver is Industrial Eng and Brad Stewart is Mechanical Eng. You can find a few more if you click through the roster. By and large you are right though.

Animal02

Banned
Nothing but a side story here but I had to go to Shanghai for work. I'm having breakfast wearing a long-sleeve gold shirt with Buzz on it. A guy in his 60's walks by and says, "You a helluva engineer?" and I reply "Yessir. You?"

There are countless times stuff like this has happened when I travel for work to places like Korea, China, Germany, Belgium, Spain, ... Invariably I get stopped by someone and get asked, "Did you attend Georgia Tech?" and it's because I'm wearing a GT hat, or a Buzz pullover, or have a GT pin on my backpack. GT has worldwide recognition. I don't think the same thing would happen if I was wearing a crimson ROLL TIDE shirt: "Do you work for American toilet paper company? No, wait. Laundry detergent company, yes?"

The degree means something. Let's not water down the school with UNC-style academics. But ... I still don't see why we can't add other majors (sport science or technical communications) as a part of a technology-based curriculum.
I have had the same experience....in China, Romania, Peru, Jordan......

Animal02

Banned
Did it ever cross your mind that those plays run were the only ones the QB was seriously capable of and the defense was allowing....and NOT because that is what CPJ wanted to run

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it before - the last 4 years of the CFP have seen 11 of the 16 slots go to 4 teams. Assuming Bama. Clem, and tOSU win this weekend, we are looking at 14 of 20 to the same 4 schools, with 6 one time appearances out of 5 years. Of those I believe only Ugag and Oregon made it to the final. The club has become more exclusive. Think of all the airtime spent on these schools. It's not just the extra money spent by the top schools. It's the free advertising they get too. Herbstreit's kids are walking on at Clemson.
Totally agree. And let's be real, if georgie had drawn Clemson the first round then Oregon would be the only one on the second list there.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

During new hire orientation at my current company, I was speaking with another new hire who was originally from China before college. When I mentioned I went to “Georgia Tech” (my words) he responded with “Wow you went to GIT”. When I asked about him he said University of Pennsylvania.

I am glad our school is trying to excel in both. GT isn’t the type of place where expectations are lowered. Sometimes you get a C in a hard class (or multiple classes :) ) but accepting that C’s happen doesn’t mean your expectations are less.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Bill Shanks (who is not a GT writer, but is a sports writer in GA) just tweeted that he's heard Johnson is retiring. I'd love to hear this from someone else, or have it debunked... wonder where he's getting his information?

Status
Not open for further replies.