Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree, both of those guys could probably come in and run most offenses as well they are perfect fits for our current offense. I like the comparison for LJ. JG isn’t small but Imo LJ’s size is what makes him stand out the most to be able to perform in any scheme. I also agree with you about other positions, the undersized OL is what would really hurt us throughout the change, and I also wonder if we would have a true number one WR in a new system. We would also need someone to be able to come in and become a Good tight end
The tackles are kept lean for this scheme. They can bulk up fairly quickly from 285 to 305.
I am wondering about strength training - uva gave our ol fits

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Most alums ive spoken to have said they would have no problem creating some easier academic paths for athletes

I'm not one of them. Sorry. I like Tech for what it is. An academically rigorous school with a pretty legendary football history and a "decent" athletics program now so even the nerds can enjoy some school spirit after getting out. And we create good student athletes that go on to do great things. And we have a true man of honor as head coach that does what he says and cares for his players. What Johnson did for Jeyland Ratliffe is all you need to see. Those are the things that matter to me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm not one of them. Sorry. I like Tech for what it is. An academically rigorous school with a pretty legendary football history ...

Tech is completely different from a school like Alabama. After 35 years, folks still are amazed ... "Oh, you went to Tech? Georgia Tech? Wow. Good school." That just doesn't happen much at Alabama.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All along, I've been of the belief that CPJ is here thru 2020 so I believe you'll get at least 2 more seasons of this Triumverate.

I disagree about 'candidates that'd take the Tech job' though. Given the salary we pay and the near-complete lack of expectations from our fanbase + being in Atlanta in a highly-talented state to recruit from makes the GT job more palatable than a lot of GT fans think.

I guess We'll find out after 2020.
Where else could a head coach take a job and win 59 percent of the time and stay employed for 11 years, expectations you hit the nail on the head

GT_EE78

Banned
As a non alum how would the alums on here feel about adding an easier degree path that you could hide athletes in? .
Didn't they already do that when the communications major was added?? (don't that and business avoid calculus?) If needed sure, adding an easier degree for athletes only would be a no-brainer.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Where else could a head coach take a job and win 59 percent of the time and stay employed for 11 years, expectations you hit the nail on the head

Bill Snyder is 84-56 at Kansas St in the same time frame that CPJ has gone 83-59 at GT. Consensus is that Bill Snyder is a pretty good coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Let's look at some interesting data compiled for another school, but relevant just the same ... results for 30 years, 20 years, and 10 years:

1984 - 2014 (31 years): Tech's wpct of 58.05% placed it as 28th out of the roughly 120 teams in the sample.
1994 - 2014 (21 years): Tech's wpct of 59.25% placed it as 28th out of the roughly 120 teams in the sample.
2004 - 2014 (11 years):Tech's wpct of 61.35% placed it as 27th out of the roughly 120 teams in the sample.

Finishing in the top quartile of ALL teams competing in college football while increasing academic standards just isn't that impressive to some people.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's my understanding that GT doesn't actually have a communications major.

Thank God. We are a technology school that creates one helluva engineer. I continue to be amazed at those who want to change the curriculum for the sole reason of winning a football game.

If I was an astronaut being launched into space, I would be delighted to learn that the re-entry vehicle was designed by experienced Georgia Tech engineers. If they were designed by communications grads from UGA(g), I might be a little concerned.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
It's my understanding that GT doesn't actually have a communications major.
All degrees and majors authorized by BOR. https://apps.usg.edu/ords/f?p=118:9...N_NAME:001569,Georgia Institute of Technology

Listing on GT website: https://www.gatech.edu/academics/bachelors-degree-programs

GT lists a BS in Literature, Media, and Communication with CIP of 30.1501 which falls under the broad category of multi/inter disciplinary studies. So, not a traditional "communications" specific major (CIP 09.xxxx) but includes a communications component.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Thank God. We are a technology school that creates one helluva engineer. I continue to be amazed at those who want to change the curriculum for the sole reason of winning a football game.

If I was an astronaut being launched into space, I would be delighted to learn that the re-entry vehicle was designed by experienced Georgia Tech engineers. If they were designed by communications grads from UGA(g), I might be a little concerned.

To be fair, GT communications majors wouldn't be designing rockets. I don't imagine that the Business Administration majors do, either. There is a happy medium between creating basket weaving and "General Studies" or "Sports Management" majors and refusing to diversify the curriculum at all.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

This, btw, is what I was talking about with structural issues w/r/t footbal.

I'm not saying I disagree with Vespidae, btw. It's a TOTALLY reasonable viewpoint to have, that the football program should enhance the university, and not vice versa. THAT BEING SAID, other schools and alumni bases and administrations do not feel the same way, and to expect to compete on even footing with those schools I think it a little bit Pie in the Sky.

I think of it as Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor.

Floyd Mayweather is a boxer. That's it. That's all he does. Conor McGregor does some boxing, yes, but he has a whole host of other things he has to work on because he does MMA. His boxing will necessarily suffer because of it, and if you ask him to box a great boxer, he's going to lose most of the time. He's got a punchers chance, and a better puncher's chance than most MMA fighters, but he's still playing their game.

If you asked Floyd Mayweather to fight McGregor in the cage, he'd get smoked because he'd have to box AND wrestle AND do submissions AND get used to different gloves AND kick, etc..

Similarly, if you asked Kirby Smart to coach football AND get his players past GT admissions, AND keep them eligible with GT's curriculum, AND have way less budget for staff AND have worse facilities, I"m not sure he'd be quite as successful.

So, I think of Coach Johnson as a MMA fighter being asked to do boxing. He's not getting elite results, but he's doing pretty damn well considering.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This, btw, is what I was talking about with structural issues w/r/t footbal.

I'm not saying I disagree with Vespidae, btw. It's a TOTALLY reasonable viewpoint to have, that the football program should enhance the university, and not vice versa. THAT BEING SAID, other schools and alumni bases and administrations do not feel the same way, and to expect to compete on even footing with those schools I think it a little bit Pie in the Sky.

I think of it as Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor.

Floyd Mayweather is a boxer. That's it. That's all he does. Conor McGregor does some boxing, yes, but he has a whole host of other things he has to work on because he does MMA. His boxing will necessarily suffer because of it, and if you ask him to box a great boxer, he's going to lose most of the time. He's got a punchers chance, and a better puncher's chance than most MMA fighters, but he's still playing their game.

If you asked Floyd Mayweather to fight McGregor in the cage, he'd get smoked because he'd have to box AND wrestle AND do submissions AND get used to different gloves AND kick, etc..

Similarly, if you asked Kirby Smart to coach football AND get his players past GT admissions, AND keep them eligible with GT's curriculum, AND have way less budget for staff AND have worse facilities, I"m not sure he'd be quite as successful.

So, I think of Coach Johnson as a MMA fighter being asked to do boxing. He's not getting elite results, but he's doing pretty damn well considering.

Be forewarned ... senseless ramblings coming ...

I look at Alabama (my home state), UGA(g) and many other factory schools and yes, we are all jealous of the size, reach, brand of those schools. And yes, the football teams.

But I can tell you that growing up there ... in many ways ... there was nothing else to feel good about it. The state ranked 49th on almost every statistic (thank God for Mississippi). Alabama football was a way to feel good about yourself. Your community. Your state. Without it ... depressing.

So Bama has a LOTS of fans that never went to school there. Never went to college. Some never went to high school. But there was always football.

Tech is different. Fans for the most part DID attend. And got out. And excelled. So it's a very different thing. And a very different type of support. And fanbase.

Sooner or later, the football world will change. And I'll be glad that Tech remains a constant. It is probably the most demanding school that competes in D1. And that's a very good thing.

Yes, we're MMA.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Be forewarned ... senseless ramblings coming ...

I look at Alabama (my home state), UGA(g) and many other factory schools and yes, we are all jealous of the size, reach, brand of those schools. And yes, the football teams.

But I can tell you that growing up there ... in many ways ... there was nothing else to feel good about it. The state ranked 49th on almost every statistic (thank God for Mississippi). Alabama football was a way to feel good about yourself. Your community. Your state. Without it ... depressing.

So Bama has a LOTS of fans that never went to school there. Never went to college. Some never went to high school. But there was always football.

Tech is different. Fans for the most part DID attend. And got out. And excelled. So it's a very different thing. And a very different type of support. And fanbase.

Sooner or later, the football world will change. And I'll be glad that Tech remains a constant. It is probably the most demanding school that competes in D1. And that's a very good thing.

Yes, we're MMA.
Please note we do have sidewalk fans that graduated from other colleges and some that may not have gone to college. My son from west Georgia My daughter from Kennesaw state and me from Southern Tech I have had season tickets since 1981 . Lots of people around me went to other colleges all are great fans. If Tech doesn't want to change that is fine with me. But if you want more fans at the game well...…….. Oh and by the way I like CPJ and think he has done a fine good. And I do send money to the AT-fund every year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Please note we do have sidewalk fans that graduated from other colleges and some that may not have gone to college. My son from west Georgia My daughter from Kennesaw state and me from Southern Tech I have had season tickets since 1981 . Lots of people around me went to other colleges all are great fans. If Tech doesn't want to change that is fine with me. But if you want more fans at the game well...…….. Oh and by the way I like CPJ and think he has done a fine good. And I do send money to the AT-fund every year.

Reinhardt and West Georgia alum here. I certainly don't want Tech to tank its academic reputation for the sake of football and I will be a fan, regardless. But I don't think Tech should throw away its athletic tradition, either. I truly believe there is a happy medium and that a successful GT football program is beneficial to alums and sidewalk fans alike.

Tech football will never be a Bama or Georgia type of program, but should still strive to be the best it can possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.