Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Reinhardt and West Georgia alum here. I certainly don't want Tech to tank its academic reputation for the sake of football and I will be a fan, regardless. But I don't think Tech should throw away its athletic tradition, either. I truly believe there is a happy medium and that a successful GT football program is beneficial to alums and sidewalk fans alike.

Tech football will never be a Bama or Georgia type of program, but should still strive to be the best it can possibly be.

This is what I mean. We are top 50 STEM school in the world and STILL playing D1 football. And by the data, we're Top Quartile. I personally think that's pretty cool.

Animal02

Banned
That's another thing to bear in mind: Football is going away sooner than later.
Football is in a precarious position....thanks mostly to ESPN IMO.
The NFL, MLB, etc saw the writing on the wall....if certain teams with a cash advantage, could essentially buy championships year in and year out...like the NY Yankees for example, over a short time frame, fans in other cities would loose interest and the league would fold.....it depends on a reasonable parity between the teams in order to stay interesting. College football is at the same cross roads. A small subset of schools have committed to buying championships.....Bama has tripled their spending in the last 10 years. I am not sure the NCAA has the fortitude to step in and make changes...if they don't, and the next few years see the same dozen teams compete for the NC, interest in the sport will really fall off. Combined with a general drop off in participation and the rising costs....it may be a struggle for the sport to survive.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't they already do that when the communications major was added?? (don't that and business avoid calculus?) If needed sure, adding an easier degree for athletes only would be a no-brainer.

Is it unreasonable that I'm kind of terrified that most business majors don't take basic calculus?

I understand the b school basically had no choice if it wanted to compete because no one else requires it, but still-

Isn't a basic familiarity with the concepts of derivatives and antiderivatives useful in management? Not to mention the place of big data. Can you really grasp what an autoregressive integrative model does if you don't know what an integral is?

If you're not going to be strictly financial controls it seems like only knowing accounting math leaves you poorly equipped to confront reality.

Otherwise, I'm down to expand majors, but only with a deep firewall between the choices and football. Anything less makes the very concept of a student athlete meaningless, and I'm not down to watch unpaid labor with a GT logo on it.

Animal02

Banned
Is it unreasonable that I'm kind of terrified that most business majors don't take basic calculus?

I understand the b school basically had no choice if it wanted to compete because no one else requires it, but still-

Isn't a basic familiarity with the concepts of derivatives and antiderivatives useful in management? Not to mention the place of big data. Can you really grasp what an autoregressive integrative model does if you don't know what an integral is?

If you're not going to be strictly financial controls it seems like only knowing accounting math leaves you poorly equipped to confront reality.

Otherwise, I'm down to expand majors, but only with a deep firewall between the choices and football. Anything less makes the very concept of a student athlete meaningless, and I'm not down to watch unpaid labor with a GT logo on it.
Okay...keep calc for business majors....just get rid of it for architects...we have a hard enough time as it is. :confused:

LibertyTurns

Banned

Do you expect binary answers to your questions? You won’t get them out of the powerpoint wizards.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Bill Snyder is 84-56 at Kansas St in the same time frame that CPJ has gone 83-59 at GT. Consensus is that Bill Snyder is a pretty good coach.
Um actually they are trying to run Snyder out of town. And you are comparing K state with GT? Shows how little expectations you have. You may be Paul Johnson

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not one of them. Sorry. I like Tech for what it is. An academically rigorous school with a pretty legendary football history and a "decent" athletics program now so even the nerds can enjoy some school spirit after getting out. And we create good student athletes that go on to do great things. And we have a true man of honor as head coach that does what he says and cares for his players. What Johnson did for Jeyland Ratliffe is all you need to see. Those are the things that matter to me.
So as CPJ says "it is what it is." Hope you realize making it a little easier for athletes wouldn't change anything you just said but whatever GT fans need that high horse to sit on

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This shows you know nothing about collehe football troll. K state fans have wanted him gone for years now. This literally shows you don't know College football at all

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.