Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some of you act like PJ is going to be coaching another 10-20 years. Those arguing that getting rid of him is going to do all this harm and it might be true. I’m not here to argue. But PJ has 2 maybe 3 years left. That’s about it. GT will be in the same exact position it’s in today. Maybe even a little worse off given the current trajectory.

So what are those of you so against PJ leaving really arguing for here? 2-3 more years of probably the same? PJ’s “dynasty” is pretty much set. He had some great years, some average years and some really bad years. That’s really all you can sum this up to. 2-3 more years isn’t going to magically give us a great year. GT will not be winning the ACC and does not have a legit shot at a 2014 type season with the roster currently constructed (particularly on OL and DL). If you think we have that shot then it’s time to take the glasses off and be honest with yourselves. So my point remains. What is 2-3 more years of this going to do for our program?

Not a damn thing in my opinion. It won’t help and it could only hurt at this point. At some point we aren’t renewing his contract and you think it’s tough to recruit now think of how handicapped we will be when trying to recruit players knowing the coach is retiring next year. It’s a damn tough decision to be made but hanging on here for both GTs and PJs sake is not in the best interest.

The only time it makes sense to hang onto a coach until the bitter end is if doing so likely results in championships for the program. Do any of you honestly think GT will play for/win any championships in the next 2-3 years? If not, then what’s being accomplished?

2-3 more years is a complete opinion of yours based on zero facts.

Can we win the ACC in the next 2-3 years? Absolutely. What do we need to make it happen? For one of our QBs to play at all conference level. Improvement in year 2 and 3 of a new scheme on D will help also.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
2-3 more years is a complete opinion of yours based on zero facts.

Can we win the ACC in the next 2-3 years? Absolutely. What do we need to make it happen? For one of our QBs to play at all conference level. Improvement in year 2 and 3 of a new scheme on D will help also.
GT probably can't win the ACC in 10 years................................................sadly:(

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
For those clamoring for a coaching change, I offer two thoughts:

1) Look at the last two coaching searches for MBB. The hires basically ended up being 4th/5th/6th choice guys who were being run out of town. You have be realistic about who you can get before you make a change.

2) CPJ is by all accounts a well-respected coach within the coaching fraternity with Hall of Fame credentials. He's kept GT competitive (roughly 3rd or 4th best team in ACC over last decade), been to 2 Orange Bowls, won ACC Coach of the Year 3 times and has had good APR/GSR scores, not to mention that he's in top 5 in wins among active coaches. Plus, he just assembled the third-highest scoring offense in modern school history. Don't you think a good coach would pause and ask, "He did that at Georgia Tech, and they weren't happy with him? Now why would I take this job?"

Be careful what you wish for -- that's how you end up with your 7th choice.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
As a non alum how would the alums on here feel about adding an easier degree path that you could hide athletes in? This may have been addressed here before, so forgive me if it has already been answered.

Also I think that if/when CPJ goes the president should follow shortly after. Seems like every year there is a different scandal centered around research or academia.

1) Paul Retire/Fire
2) Fire Peterson
3) Fire Danny Hall....but that is a story for another day.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The scandals in the administration would lead to Bud getting fired way more than what’s happening in athletics.

That said Bud has raised the academic profile and bringing in a lot of money as a research institution.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
For those clamoring for a coaching change, I offer two thoughts:

1) Look at the last two coaching searches for MBB. The hires basically ended up being 4th/5th/6th choice guys who were being run out of town. You have be realistic about who you can get before you make a change.

2) CPJ is by all accounts a well-respected coach within the coaching fraternity with Hall of Fame credentials. He's kept GT competitive (roughly 3rd or 4th best team in ACC over last decade), been to 2 Orange Bowls, won ACC Coach of the Year 3 times and has had good APR/GSR scores, not to mention that he's in top 5 in wins among active coaches. Plus, he just assembled the third-highest scoring offense in modern school history. Don't you think a good coach would pause and ask, "He did that at Georgia Tech, and they weren't happy with him? Now why would I take this job?"

I agree but the sad fact is some on hate CPJ more than they love Tech , sad ain't it. Some act like Tech fans but I have my doubts on a few of them.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
I was told after Duke game via big $$ booster connection that cpj had this year and 2019 to improve things before he'd be canned. Stansbury was gonna make sure he had the resources before making decision.

As a non alum how would the alums on here feel about adding an easier degree path that you could hide athletes in? This may have been addressed here before, so forgive me if it has already been answered.

Also I think that if/when CPJ goes the president should follow shortly after. Seems like every year there is a different scandal centered around research or academia.

1) Paul Retire/Fire
2) Fire Peterson

As far as adding an easier degree, I refer you to a link I posted in its own thread last week ---
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...-steal-uga-evil-board-of-regents-georgia-tech

In short, the UGAg-dominated BOR will not allow it.

Totally agree with your number 3).

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
GT probably can't win the ACC in 10 years................................................sadly:(

Totally disagree ! If and I know I said if, any of our QBs can pass we would be in the championship game this year. Be it Graham, Johnson or Oliver, simply hitting on 60% of the passes changes at least 3 games each year to the win column. I personally think it would have entirely changed the Duke, Ga and Pitt game this year. Stacking the box has become a problem for the triple option and it's because we simply gave up on any real thought of a passing game and the defense knew it. Thats entirely different than deciding not to pass b/c we dont need to .

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
"He did that at Georgia Tech, and they weren't happy with him? Now why would I take this job?"

No. Hell no. Have you watched the college football landscape? If anything they’ll be more prone to want to come to GT cause there’s little pressure to win big, recruit top talent, or be heavily scrutinized. Get paid millions in relative obscurity.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, my official stance on the matter is STs and Defense haven’t been reliable all decade, and we’ve had two losing seasons in four years, so I am not inherently against a coaching change, because CPJ is the head coach, not the OC. However, all factors within our program considering, I really don’t think changing the coach and getting an UPGRADE is particularly realistic right now. Considering CPJ’s success throughout his career, I think our chances with giving TS time to get CPJ better resources and CNW time to right the defense are just as good if not better than magically solving everything with a new head coach, which again, I think some of you need to realize our job is not incredibly attractive right now.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone think that CNW will/should get to stay in the event CPJ leaves?

I think if we get SS it would be safe to assume he stayed, but what if we got NB, or MT?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

1) Paul Retire/Fire
2) Fire Peterson

As a grad, I would be completely OK with it. It in no way would hurt the academic standing. It would need to be a real degree, but just not a science degree. Seeing how NC has not dropped in their academic ratings after their scandal. There is no way a liberal arts degree would hurt us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

1) Paul Retire/Fire
2) Fire Peterson

I think there is a lot of merit in adding a Science of Parks and Recreation Technology degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.