Nit possibilty

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of increasing parity, I have 2 years left on a 5 year bet... I need a 16 to beat a 1-seed. This year seems as good as any.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the boat of letting in more cinderella teams too, even though it does hurt GT. I have a kind of open ended question which might deserve its own thread, but which would you prefer: Us making the NCAA tournament and maybe making it to the round of 32 or winning the NIT? Not saying the 2nd is a definite but we have a lot better of a chance. To me winning the NIT is only meaningful when you have players coming back next year to make a NCAA push, but selfishly as a fan I want to see more GT basketball especially the way we're playing right now. NCAA is a real outside chance and it's not really worth talking about until after Thursday night I guess. Just fun to have these sorts of conversations again at this point in the year

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm a firm believer that if you win your conference during the regular season, you should get an automatic bid. Consistency over 18 (or however many) games should mean something more than getting hot over a compacted 4 game stretch in a conference tournament. Conference tournaments should help your resume, not make your resume.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the boat of letting in more cinderella teams too, even though it does hurt GT. I have a kind of open ended question which might deserve its own thread, but which would you prefer: Us making the NCAA tournament and maybe making it to the round of 32 or winning the NIT? Not saying the 2nd is a definite but we have a lot better of a chance. To me winning the NIT is only meaningful when you have players coming back next year to make a NCAA push, but selfishly as a fan I want to see more GT basketball especially the way we're playing right now. NCAA is a real outside chance and it's not really worth talking about until after Thursday night I guess. Just fun to have these sorts of conversations again at this point in the year
I'd rather lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament than win the NIT.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Winning the NIT is like winning the scratch off lottery for $500. It's nice enough, but that isn't why you play. Getting in the NCAA and playing a second game would be a wonderful prize for this team. I say that because it would mean we had survived 2-3 games in the ACC Tournament as well. And, you never can tell what will happen after the tipoff.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm a firm believer that if you win your conference during the regular season, you should get an automatic bid. Consistency over 18 (or however many) games should mean something more than getting hot over a compacted 4 game stretch in a conference tournament. Conference tournaments should help your resume, not make your resume.
100% agree. Auto bid for regular season champs and make the tournament winners play in the play in round or something to that affect. A team like Monmouth might get screwed and wind up in the NIT while Iona gets in and will probably get ran the first day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tournament champion is conf champ, imo. Scheds are not equal in terms of who, when, where. Some teams improve during the season. Let reg season seed.tournament. That's enough.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not saying this matters one way or the other, but we're pointing out facts on twitter, which means we're lobbying for something.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Getting harder for GT to realistically have a chance w/out running the table starting tonight in ACC Tourney.

Link "The big conference tournaments have yet to tip and already the bubble has shrunk. Monmouth lost to Iona in the Metro Atlantic final Monday. Wichita State lost to Northern Iowa on Saturday in the Missouri Valley semis. Monmouth’s RPI is 56. Wichita State’s is 49. Both could still make the NCAA tournament field as at-large invitees. That’s dire news for a major-conference team hoping to become an at-large entrant."

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Getting harder for GT to realistically have a chance w/out running the table starting tonight in ACC Tourney.

Link "The big conference tournaments have yet to tip and already the bubble has shrunk. Monmouth lost to Iona in the Metro Atlantic final Monday. Wichita State lost to Northern Iowa on Saturday in the Missouri Valley semis. Monmouth’s RPI is 56. Wichita State’s is 49. Both could still make the NCAA tournament field as at-large invitees. That’s dire news for a major-conference team hoping to become an at-large entrant."

isnt wichita state the team that g marshall coaches? the coach that spurned us?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck

Key word there is could. Neither of those teams are a lock, and I think it could get very interesting if we win the next two. Another one to add to that list is St. Mary's, who lost to Gonzaga last night. Many think the Zags wouldn't have gotten an at-large, but St. Mary's is on the bubble for one.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UAB loses to Western KY and will likely head to the NIT. Based on their RPI they are likely to be slotted lower than GT (they came in at 74 before losing to W. KY).