Nit possibilty

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We're sitting at 4-9 and 14-12 overall. Going 3-2 over the next 5 would have us at 7-11 and 17-14 overall. That's not likely to land us in the NIT.

Last year the ACC got two teams in the NIT, Pitt and Miami. Miami was 10-8. Pitt was 8-10 (Pitt was 19-14 overall before the NIT as well)
Year before that Clemson made it at 10-8 as well as FSU at 9-9.
Year before that 3 teams, worst record was Maryland with 8-10.(Maryland was 22-12 before the NIT as well)
Year before that Miami at 9-7 and 19-12 was the only ACC rep.

It's unlikely that 7-11 in conference will get us into the NIT, and would probably need two ACCT wins to do so imo.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I don't think 17-15 gets us in, but I think 18-15 puts us in position and 19-15 would almost certainly get us in.

I was actually discussing with my friends last night whether we'd be better off getting the 10 or 11 seed in the tournament (not that we're locked into one of those two, just a hypothetical scenario). I'd probably prefer to get an extra game (and theoretically extra win) against winless BC to help boost our record.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the optimism, but don't let last night's result fool you. We are probably going to lose 4 of the last 5. I hope I'm wrong, of course...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
nit

noun
noun: nit; plural noun: nits
  1. the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
unicorn.jpg

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
20-13 may get us the play in 11 seed with wins over Virginia and now Notre Dame and hypothetically a win over Clemson/ Louisville and another quality win in ACC tourney play

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I ran some hypothetical scenarios today. Let's begin by assuming our best shot is to win at home Tuesday against Clemson, and again on the road at BC, then lose to Louisville (it will be their final home game), and beat Pitt at home on Senior night. That will give us an 8-10 ACC record and probably a #10 seed (the loss to VT will hurt us here).

The #10 plays #7 on Wednesday. That will likely be Pitt or Clemson, both of whom we would have to have beaten to be in this position. If we win, we play (and lose to) the #2 seed on Thursday. Right now, that could be almost any of the top five teams in the conference (excluding Louisville).

If this scenario plays out we will have a 19-14 record. I think that would get us in the NIT. I don't any of this requires our guys to play above their ability. I also believe this is our ceiling for the year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
given our longest winning streak this season is 3 games and our longest losing streak this season is 3 games, we are about due for a loss.